User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Cool How old were you when you stopped believing in Santa?

How did it effect you? I put this in this section, because I get the impression this kind of thing would have matterd more to a lot of NF children, and were maybe late on the truth?

I was older than seemingly everybody else I knew. I was really upset, and it took away the magic of Christmas for me. I was so convinced he was real that I swear I saw him in the sky! It was obviously my imagination, but it was so vivid! The funny thing is, I was half scared of him. I wasn't really scared of him, but more so the idea of seeing him. I wanted to keep him in my head instead, because I thought it'd be scary actually seeing him (I dunno)

It was my half sister that told me. She didn't actually tell me, but she said it infront of me, and her kid that was a couple of years younger than me. She said something like "we have to pretend he's real for your little brother" to her other son. I was like "..........*shakes head*.... *heart breaks*" I didn't say anything, but inside I was like "that can't be true, he is real!". I also was upset that people lied to me about it! I tried to believe it, but I couldn't from then on, so I just carried on believing in other things, like my stuffed toys coming to life when I'm asleep. (I'm not making this stuff up.)

Bah, Christmas has never been the same since...

ETA: I wonder if having an INFJ mother (my only stable parent) had an impact? She was dead set on keeping me believing in him for as long as I could. She said it isn't as magical when you don't believe in him. She even still put out food and drink for him, and Rudolph a few years ago, and I'm 21! When I was like "..........why are you doing that?" she was just like "It's for Santa and Rudolph!" lmao, bless her.....strange woman!
    INFP~ 4w5 ~ sx/sp ~ IEI ~ Libra

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

I never believed in Santa Claus because I was never made to believe in him. My family is Christian, so Jesus' birth was the reason for the season. At three years old, the Christmas story was my favourite bedtime story, so I would have been very puzzled if you had come up to me with a Santa thing mixed up to it. It was pretty clear to me that my parents and relatives bought the presents under the tree. I started hearing about Santa in first grade, and felt so silly I had to write him a letter. The story of Saint Nicholas sounded good to me though, and that's the Santa I believed in, and we know he has existed. But I never believed in the one with the flying reindeers.

My INFP colleague once told me he stopped trusting mankind when he found out Santa Claus was a lie.
    Last edited by KLessard; 01-05-2010 at 10:45 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I realized there was no Santa Claus when I was seven or eight and saw my step-mother putting my Easter basket out very early one morning. I figured, hey, no Easter bunny, no Santa Claus.

I think in the back of my mind I already knew that Santa Claus was actually Daddy. Therefore, I was not traumatized. I was much more traumatized years later when I realized that Daddy was human and not infallable. Believing in Daddy is much more powerful than believing in Santa Claus.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I never really believed in him. I knew my presents came from my parents. I always had imaginary friends and I liked them very well, but I realized they were imaginary too. I liked getting letters from the Toothfairy, but I was always vaguely aware that they were penned by my mum or my aunt.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Proteanmix has already told her children that Santa isn't real. She probably talks to her ovaries every night to make sure that even her gametes don't believe in that crap.

(I hope this post wasn't too inappropriate. Damn you tert Fe!)

MBTI
    INFP

OK, this might just be one of those "I'm weird" things, instead of "I'm NF" things. I blame my mum!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

3 or 4.

MBTI
    INFP

Goddamnit it. XD lol

MBTI
    INFJ

Okay my story is pretty amusing. At a very young age... maybe six or seven... I used my T logic and came to the realization that there's no way Santa could be real. My presents were never wrapped like they were on tv, everyone pretended the mall santas were real when I could tell they weren't, we had a gas fireplace that he couldn't get into, and our windows had bars.

I presented my facts to my mother but she was clever... since I was little she'd say that ONE present was from her and dad. So at this point she explained to me that she and dad couldn't afford all those presents, yes only Santa could. Somehow this was enough to keep me in a strange purgatory of belief where I didn't question and sort of lost interest in questioning Santa's existence. My folks didn't have the money, so maybe the magic was real because you can't make money appear and my parents wouldn't lie to me afterall.

Well yeah, at ten or eleven years old some friends found out and laughed at me and I basically told them "ITS NOT LIKE YOUR PARENTS COULD AFFORD ALL THAT BY THEMSELVES!" ... then I went home and mom told me the truth. Ah embarrassment.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by scortia View Post
    Well yeah, at ten or eleven years old some friends found out and laughed at me and I basically told them "ITS NOT LIKE YOUR PARENTS COULD AFFORD ALL THAT BY THEMSELVES!" ... then I went home and mom told me the truth. Ah embarrassment.
    Awww! Haha.