Thread: Fi 101

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Default Fi 101

Ok..welcome, I'm going to try and teach the basics of Fi here.

In other words, any questions when it comes to Fi, feel free to ask. I promise to answer them straight forward so you can analyze, understand or whatever it is you want to do with that information. No questions are off limits, including those that are considered 'touchy'.

Also, if you formulate a question in a F(i)-hostile way (without realizing it), I will reword it back to you, to a) confirm that that is what you're asking and b) teach how to word stuff properly without an emotionally negative ring to it. Yes, I'm aware this is arrogant, but hey, T's ask the same thing of us when debating logic shit. So it's only fair to teach you the rules.

I also encourage you to think twice about the formulation and what you're exactly asking before posting. Even if you're eager, passionate, annoyed, whatever it is because of the analysis process you're doing yourself, take a deep breathe and ask yourself how you can ask whatever is going on in that brain of yours in a constructive way.

I'd like to avoid mudslinging all together.

I appreciate the input of all my fellow NFPs of course, but I'm kinda wondering...maybe it's a good idea to make several of these threads? That way you get several perspectives as Fi is pretty individual, without it all getting muddled together? People can post the same question in several threads and see what answers it yields.

Alternatively, I'd love your input, but ask that you either apply the same techniques as me, which I listed above in dealing with ruffled feathers and not let it get you defensive, angry, annoyed, rolling your eyes, etc, something this topic just tends to provoke instantly. I'll have a tough time doing the same myself, but I feel it's the only way we can ever really get to the bottom of this. And I do feel we could benefit from having Fi dissected and viewed through the eyes of others as well.

If this doesn't go well, I might ask that I do the responding in this thread, to see if maybe having only 1 NFP answering helps to keep the chaos to a minimum.

Alright..let's see if anyone out there is still willing to go near the subject. Hit me
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ

What is love?
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Baby don't hurt me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    What is love?
    Romantic love is a craving, a motivation.

Or so I've heard on TED!

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Baby don't hurt me.
    No more.

EDIT - yes, that's about as good of a 1,500th post as you could ask for

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Lol, hey boys..having fun?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    What is love?
    I'll need more specifics on what you're looking for
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

My main problem with functions in general is not really the functions themselves, but when people start attaching things every human can do to them. Like empathy, logic, imagination, or being environmentally aware. Reading these "Fi is" and "Te is" and the other threads has me shaking my head at some of the entries, simply because people start going from what these functions ARE to what people that use these functions tend to DO and end up thinking they're the same thing.

I think Fi is a cognitive process that judges all information it gains using personal, emotional, and value based principles as criteria for right vs wrong. These values are subjectively defined and unique to that individual in the sense that they were personally derived, however this doesn't mean these principles are exclusive to that person, nor Fi itself.

Enneagram
    1w2

OK, here's my honest observation. Forgive me if it sounds hostile because that is not my intention.

When reviewing the "Fi is" thread this is the picture that struck me as most accurate about Fi:

And to be honest, this pic disturbed me at the same time I felt it to be the most accurate. Those emo pics I was like OK, alright.

It scared me because this is how out of touch with everyone Fi can be and I hardly see how that's empathetic. And yes, I want Fi users to admit this is something that people often encounter when dealing with Fi! It's not an isolated, unnatural, or rare occurence. My reality does not align with what Fi users are portraying on the forum about how helplessly empathetic they feel.

I have seen NFPs go into their happy bubble and be completely uncaring or oblivious to everyone else because they feel fine. That is the complete opposite of empathy. But I do see the positives in that because they do seem somewhat impervious to all the stress others feel for their own well-being (which I wish I had a greater ability for), but others who are looking for solidarity and that sense of shared experience and emotion find them out of touch, not an oasis of calm and strength. That does not make them particularly relatable or someone you feel you can talk to or depend on because their emotional state is so completely divergent from everyone else's and they don't even see it.

This is assessment is from my professional experience in working with NFPs in leadership positions, colleagues and past personal experience. I work in a very feeler-dominated organization because of the nature of the work. If my immediate work environment was more empathetic I'd be a much happier employee. I'm in the process of moving past this by adjusting my expectations to lessen my own personal disappointment.

The reason why I find this offensive is because in my professional life the people who do this are grown women (50+) and for the most part I would say are what you would call well-adjusted and "nice" people. I'm not going to give the easy out of saying they're immature or haven't learned how to use their Fi. This is not aberrant behavior from NFPs. I'm not saying it's the norm, but it's not unusual or something like Halley's Comet that passes by the earth every 75 years. It is quite typical in the same way that Fe can often be overbearing, coercive, and unthinkingly normative.

I wish people would stop claiming one set of traits (the positive) are more likely than the other. Fi users (or maybe I should confine this to NFPs) are just as likely to be oblivious to everyone (and in their own happy bubble as that picture suggests) as they are helplessly empathetic towards everyone. To claim otherwise is disingenuous and untruthful.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    OK, here's my honest observation. Forgive me if it sounds hostile because that is not my intention.

When reviewing the "Fi is" thread this is the picture that struck me as most accurate about Fi:

i agree with the picture and some things you said (didnt read the whole post carefully).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I'll need more specifics on what you're looking for
    Specifics?

You mean there isn't a universal definition? One man's love is another man's lunatic yellow smiley ball that can't go along to get along?

Here's hoping love isn't "empathy".
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr