Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Aw, C'MON!

What is love?

Origin, source of maintenance, nature and character of the object.

Is it different for different types? Is there a core element that is universal? Does it reside in the person or in the person's expressions or somewhere else, an abstract plane removed from, say, sex, maybe?

No, really. There's a lot of discussion on this board--A LOT!--about interactions. So... what is love?

It seemed like a good 101 question, and now I want to know.

Plus, it's a macro-question, a whole of person thing, and discussing it the functions will come into play somewhere and... something about being human... plus everyone's allowed to get away with idiosyncratic definitions, I suppose, and I guess that'll show something about functions. Or something.
    Kalach, this is a very good question, and actually worthy of it's own thread I think. I fear it might lead us too far off though in this thread. I would do it injustice if I attempted to keep the answer minimalistic and to answer it the way it is meant to would lead to debate and reflection (always a good thing imo) but it might interfere with what is going on here already. I strongly suggest you make this topic it's very own thread, it has a lot of potential
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Arn't you afraid that Fi makes you vulnerbale to manipulation and/or addiction ?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Arn't you afraid that Fi makes you vulnerbale to manipulation and/or addiction ?
    *smiles*

Not anymore. Been there, done that. I learned to straddle the edge...though it's tempting at times. Also, the reason I know this, is because I spent time trying to understand myself. I know my buttons, better than most people out there do. Push them at your own risk...coz that means I get a carte blanche to do the same with you

Before you guys forced me to think about this stuff, I genuinly thought I did this out of altruism. And it does feel like that, and the effect is still the same as in altruism. But it's true, I do get a reward out of this, just not one many people seem to understand as a valid one. So how many people really are going to catch on that that's how to manipulate me? An exception are Fe-users who are good at guilttripping. I used to be sensitive to that. Now I just see that blow coming and it has the opposite effect. Some take a while, but most catch on that that's the wrong button to push

Also, I'm sure some people manipulate me. IN fact, at certain times, I *allow* myself to be manipulated by others, when i see it's really important to them. But then everyone gets manipulated. It's part of how we work. I don't see the point in getting paranoid over that.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I agree with Amargith... we can be addiction prone, especially as a means to escape intensity. Sometimes, we would prefer to not have to go emotional spelunking and just bury our more unpleasant emotions. Not all our techniques for dealing with our emotional sensitivity are healthy. For example, we can over invest in our inner fantasy worlds even without the aid of drugs or alcohol.

As far as manipulation... I think there's a difference between manipulation and persuasion. Mature Fe users (and others) use persuasion that acknowledges the other's right to consciously decide. Persuasion doesn't damage trust.

Manipulation is more underhanded and uses the emotions of the other to subvert their decision making process. Empathy can be fooled, so that does leave us open in that respect.

On the other hand, being highly aware of one's own emotional state comes in handy. If I'm being guilt-tripped, I'm pretty aware of the sudden increase in guilt and where it is coming from. I also find anger and irritation coming out of nowhere to be a clue that subtle manipulation is in process, often before I'm consciously aware of the manipulation.

Still, people get manipulated. We all, regardless of type, tend to think we are unusually perceptive and better-than-average judges of character. Clearly we can't all be right.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Aren't you afraid that Fi makes you vulnerable to manipulation and/or addiction?
    Not anymore than the next person.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Fi doesnt mean that we see everything through rose-colored glasses and believe that everyone is an altruistic saint who would never hurt anyone. I think many of us are much more in tune with others emotional states and intentions, and hence are MORE likely to notice others attempts at manipulation.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    EIE None

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I think many of us are much more in tune with others emotional states and intentions, and hence are MORE likely to notice others attempts at manipulation.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Originally Posted by Pitseleh:

From everything I have learned about Fi is it's about individuality, personal/self valuations/ moral codes/ what one believes, and it feels emotions in gradients and feels things deeply. To some outsiders, it can come off "very selfish and self-centered" but it can also come off as kind and caring.
    Yes, that's basically all there is to it.

But all this Fi talk is interesting mental diarrhea discussion, nonetheless.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    OK, here's my honest observation. Forgive me if it sounds hostile because that is not my intention.

When reviewing the "Fi is" thread this is the picture that struck me as most accurate about Fi:

And to be honest, this pic disturbed me at the same time I felt it to be the most accurate. Those emo pics I was like OK, alright.
    What is wrong with looking at potential for change rather than being stuck in and celebrating the emo? I look at that and see a group of people who are sad, and one who is willing to break the mould and change it. Does Fe look to make this last person sad to complete the set?
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    Fi doesnt mean that we see everything through rose-colored glasses and believe that everyone is an altruistic saint who would never hurt anyone. I think many of us are much more in tune with others emotional states and intentions, and hence are MORE likely to notice others attempts at manipulation.
    I would think that Fi-users would also be rather good at 'manipulating' others. After all, that is the 'thing' that we use to convince others. We are not as proficient in the logic and cold, hard facts, but we do have to make you see and feel things the same way we do. And that may come off to the other side as trying to manipulate their feelings. Being on the same page with us more or less means either sharing or at the least understanding our values and why we feel that way.
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell