• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INFx's - favorite TV shows from the past?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The other day I was looking at the TV listings on my cable network to see if they air any of my old favorites. Then I realized something. The shows that I've liked the most have had something in common: I generally like shows where there is one true central character (as opposed to a family or a group) and where he/she is somewhat of a loner and/or the show gives a lot of insight and depth into what the person is thinking or feeling inside of themselves. Some examples are the old show "The Wonder Years" with Fred Savage, where Kevin's thoughts are narrated to us. We always know what he's thinking about a certain girl and we get to hear his frustration or excitement when things go awry or go well.

Another example is the show "Felicity". As a guy, I always thought it was funny how much I really liked this show. I took a lot of heat from my friends (especially guy friends) for liking this show, but I know now that I liked this show for the same reason - it allows the viewer access into the depth of what goes on beneath the surface.

Another show I loved as a kid was "Highway to Heaven" with Michael Landon. Even as a youngster, I liked him because he was nomadic and very much an individual. Sure, he was an angel, but we were seeing him in human form. It was just him and his sidekick.

Anyways, introverts, name some of your favorite TV shows and tell why you like them.

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
ooh ooh ooh, I LOVED Dharma & Greg. It was very humorous, played ENFP vs ISTJ, and dealt a lot with expectations and perceptions.

I also really enjoy big bang theory. Having spent many years in physics grad school, it hits very close to home but in a good and funny kind of way

3rd rock from the sun. dealing with society, people, social interactions, etc

babylon 5. well done, sci-fi but people focused and not super nerdy. a novel in tv format

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked Felicity a lot too...but the last season was drama overload.
I loved My So Called Life and Frasier.
I liked Life Goes On, but I was very little when that was on.

I liked many older cartoon series: Rocko's Modern Life, Daria, Animaniacs.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dupe thread! :D

Shall I merge this with the other thread in the NT Rationale with the same title, or shall I rename this to:

(1) "INFX's - favorite TV shows from the past?"

OR

(2) "XNFX's - favorite TV shows from the past?"

Y'all pick.

Thanks,

-Halla

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Halla - I choose #2 ;)

I loved You Can't do that on Television when I was a kid. It was seriously crazy.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Dupe thread! :D

Shall I merge this with the other thread in the NT Rationale with the same title, or shall I rename this to:

(1) "INFX's - favorite TV shows from the past?"

OR

(2) "XNFX's - favorite TV shows from the past?"

Y'all pick.

Thanks,

-Halla

I would re-name it for "INFx's", but you can do whatever you feel is most appropriate. It'd be cool if there was an "INxx" forum - it's the INFJ's, INFP's, INTP's, and INTJ's that I feel I have the most in common with, so I like to bounce things off those types the most, and then I end up making a thread for the NF forum and the NT forum to get opinions/thoughts from both sides. This thread is obviously a very light topic, but if it was something where I wanted INxx opinions, what's the best way to go, Halla?

If I post in NF, I lose a lot of NT input. If I post in NT, I lose a lot of NF input.

William K

Uniqueorn
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Rescue 911.... Guess that's my idealistic side

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
I dont like watching any kind of tv shows, commercials are one of the main reason. the other is that there is nothing but Crap on.

scortia

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hrmm... I typically have a specific genre and style to books I like, but not movies or tv shows. I was a huge fan of 3rd Rock from the Sun when it was on for instance. I dunno, I can't like the typical dumb sitcom. A show has to be really quirky and creative to spark my interest. I love a lot of Britcom like Red Dwarf as well. Those hold a place in my heart... dry British humor is just the best thing out there.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I would re-name it for "INFx's", but you can do whatever you feel is most appropriate.

I'll go for option 1, as it is your OP.

It'd be cool if there was an "INxx" forum - it's the INFJ's, INFP's, INTP's, and INTJ's that I feel I have the most in common with, so I like to bounce things off those types the most, and then I end up making a thread for the NF forum and the NT forum to get opinions/thoughts from both sides.

I understand. At this time there are sub-divisions by archetype. So, the only way to achieve what you are looking to do is to start two threads. But, anyone of any type can answer either thread. So I don't know to what degree your objectives are being accomplished.

This thread is obviously a very light topic, but if it was something where I wanted INxx opinions, what's the best way to go, Halla?

If I post in NF, I lose a lot of NT input. If I post in NT, I lose a lot of NF input.

In the future, for the sake of differentiation, please make the thread titles different as noted above. That way they won't have as high a likelihood as being tagged as dupes by a mod. Seeing duplicates all over the place is somewhat confusing.

If the titles are different, and in different forums, they are not dupes.

If threads in two different forums have the same title, they are dupes, and have a high probability of being merged.

Sound reasonable?

:)

-Halla

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
When I was relatively young I watched Quantum Leap, Are You Being Served?, All In The Family, Three's Company, I Love Lucy, The Wonder Years, Frasier, Mr. Bean, and Benny Hill. That was probably when I was about 8 or so. I had no life XD; I'm 19 now.

P

Phantonym

Oh, goody, a humongous list. :D

I was glued to the TV-screen as a teenager, so I have lots of favourites. Different genres. Many of them have already been mentioned here.

Why did I watch them? Too many to go through individually. Probably as an escape. Trying to experience something I could never experience myself nor want to either. Seeing different situations, how the characters handle them, what they learn and imagining how I would act in similar situations. Basically, I was like a sponge, learning from fictional circumstances, from situations where I would never want to find myself in and be safe in my own living room while going through the emotions.

The Outer Limits
Ally McBeal
Daria
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Sex and the City
Friends
Felicity
Babylon 5
Stargate SG-1
Quantum Leap
Mad About You
Blossom
Full House
Life Goes On
Road to Avonlea
The Simpsons
Seinfeld
My So-Called Life
Dharma & Greg
Beverly Hills 90210
Saved by the Bell
Little House on the Prairie
I Love Lucy
ER
Chicago Hope
Alias
Nanny
Gilmore Girls
Cheers
The Cosby Show
Touched by an Angel
Law & Order
Highlander
Knight Rider
Star Trek: The Next Generation
NYPD Blue
3rd Rock from the Sun
Home Improvement
Beavis and Butthead
The Golden Girls
Baywatch
Northern Exposure
MacGyver
Matlock
Murder, She Wrote
That 70s Show
The A-Team
L.A. Law
The Pretender
Married...with Children
The X-Files

Not to mention the all the humongous dramas that lasted for years and still keep on going I used to watch.

Good times, probably worsened my eyesight considerably but still, good times, indeed. And where else would I learn English from. :D

ReadingRainbows

Cat Wench
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Married With Children is one of my favorites too. And South Park.
Daria was on my list too <3 I'm into Dexter now
I don't watch much television though. I have more pressing stuff to do I guess. Don't ask me what though.
Oh and I had to stop watching the bachelorette when I saw the chick making awful choices and defending them. That was just awful.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
List of Shows I Watched & Still Watch Online Occasionally:

Seinfeld
Daria
Will & Grace (I hate to admit it, though)
My So-Called Life
Wonderfalls
Gilmore Girls
In Living Color
Pushing Daisies (Does this even count as "the past"?)

Most of the other stuff I watched I grew out of because of bad acting or the realization that I wasn't a part of the target audience.

Last edited:

Prime

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Twin Peaks
Freaks & Geeks
Arrested Development
Early 90's Nickelodeon
Unsolved Mysteries

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oooo Oooo

Arrested Development!

and Freaks & Geeks!!

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I don't watch tv anymore, I don't even have one in my appartment. As has been said before, it's mostly crap nowadays, except for documentaries and the news.

I used to watch Seinfeld as a teenager.
This hour has 22 minutes and The Red Green Show were some favourites as well, but that's CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation). I loved them because they helped me get a better understanding of my Canadian folk.
Street Cents was cool and instructive. Smart ad parodies.

As a cartoon, I really loved Doug.

I have tender memories of watching animal documentaries snuggling close to my father as a child. Especially Jacques Cousteau's expeditions. My scuba diver brother would often join us, and that was very special.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I forgot about Saved By the Bell (how could I!!!)....everyone I know in the 25-30 age group loved that show...well, particularly women.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Canadian shows:

Beachcombers - Can't remember the plot line, although I think it was set on the coast in BC. Just remember Jesse was one of the first native people on a regular TV show.

The Littlest Hobo - About a seemingly homeless do-gooder German Shepherd who always came across people just when they needed him most. The MacGuyver of dogs.

Degrassi Jr. High - Whoa! Remember when Spike had a baby in Grade 7?
Scan-da-lous!

Flipper - Oo - About a dolphin and the two children of a single marine biologist dad. Was more entertaining (then at least) than it sounds now.

North of 60 - Really bad Canadian soap/drama set in Northern ??? on a reserve. However one of the actors was from one of our local reserves and another one was the MLA for the area of the rez where I spent the last five years.

This Hour Has 22 Minutes - good political satire

Corner Gas - Great commentary on average little Saskatchewan town. Main character hails from Tisdale, Saskatchewan whose little jingle on TV when I was growing up was "Tis-dale, the land of rape and honey" (Rape was the commonly used word for canola. Still not quite sure how that was supposed to draw tourists...)

Other:

After school shows: Happy Days, Gilligan's Island, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Family Ties, The Cosby Show, Blossom, Full House

Saturday Morning: Loony Toons, Abbot and Costello

Childhood: MacGuyver, Night Rider, Matlock, Different World, Cheers, Night Court, Three's Company (my folks didn't like us watching Night Court and Three's Company though, but my sister and brother always watched it when they babysat). Disney on Sunday nights. Little House on the Prairie.

Later: Seinfeld, ER, Gilmore Girls, Friends (its first year), Dharma and Greg (what a dumb way to have ended the series!), Law and Order