User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    TNT

Default Can NFs be ruthless, cruel or evil?

Some of the adjectives from the profiles, describing NFs are: compassionate, nurturing, insightful and encouraging, altruistic, inspiring, warmly affectionate and affirming, empathetic, caring...

Now I'm thinking how can such a person be evil? I think it's not possible.

Sure, they can hurt people unintentionally due to their immaturity or stupidity but they just can't be heartless bastards because it goes against everything they believe in.

A good friend of mine is an ENFP and I'm amazed at his levels of empathy. There was this youtube video of a shark with retarded teeth and it was hilarious so I showed it to him. This one: YouTube - Shark with funny teeth

And guess what? He didn't like it. He said he felt bad for the shark. lol I really didn't believe him and I asked if he was fucking kidding me? He insisted that he was telling the truth and I believed him because he really doesn't lie to me. Even if he did lie I could tell because we have this weird connection.

Ok, I'm thinking this is gonna be a very short topic because everyone's gonna agree with me, but I'm going to post it anyway. There will probably be some INTP who will disagree with me just for the fun of it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_ View Post
    Now I'm thinking how can such a person be evil? I think it's not possible
    And that's just what we want you to think

Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Inadvertently they can probably be the most cruel. Because when they're doing it, they probably honest to god believe they're doing the right thing, for whatever deluded reason they have.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yes,
    just like everyone else.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

I like what SH said.

Anyone can be made to feel backed into a corner.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

No, they can be mean and cruel. I don't know if anyone, with notable and obvious exceptions, is really "evil" but there is no reason NF's in pursuit of some ideal world couldn't wind up being evil to whatever extent one can be in the daily sense of the word.

It's just that people mostly wind up being ruthless in pursuit of some object-oriented, self-centered goal, which are goals that are rare in the NF (or at least in my own, not to make myself sound like some übermensch) worldview-- which is the same reason that NF CEOs and big wigs are relatively rare.
    "People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy to have such things about us at all times."-Iris Murdoch

MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Inadvertently they can probably be the most cruel. Because when they're doing it, they probably honest to god believe they're doing the right thing, for whatever deluded reason they have.
    ^Yup, that last part is the key to NF evilness.

Evil is kind of in the eye of the beholder--what one regards as evil may be perfectly acceptable/justifiable behaviour to another. As long as the NF has justified their actions to themselves, it's entirely possible that they could commit acts that are viewed as 'evil' by another.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_
    Sure, they can hurt people unintentionally due to their immaturity or stupidity but they just can't be heartless bastards because it goes against everything they believe in.
    Only if they believe that being a heartless bastard = bad. If their world view = "It's kind to be cruel in a tough world", you can get a pretty hard-lining NF. I think to the NF though, their intentions must be congruent with their own beliefs, even if the beliefs themselves are deluded (refer to the SH quote).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

All that emotional intensity can go toward negative emotions almost as easily as it can go toward positive ones and we can find a way to justify it because we have flexible minds like that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_ View Post
    Can NFs be ruthless, cruel or evil?
    Of course not! All hearts and flowers here!

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Yes. The adjectives used in many of the descriptions are based on mostly healthy NFs at their best. Many are also in part supposed to help people assess their own type: why would I want to identify myself with Charles Manson or corrupted idealism in general?

Of course not! All hearts and flowers here!
    Except Elaur is not and has never been capable of such vile and depraved things.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

ˇcataplum!