• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] How you decide what is the "right" thing to do??

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
My mother and lots of other people I know seem to have some idea that there are "right" and "wrong" things to do.

I don't believe in this.

Explain it to me.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sorry to all concrete up in here, but what's the situational example? What exactly don't you agree with?

Of the concept in general- if you think of a decision as a Choose-Your-Adventure sort of story, and you can make two choices (getting all many-worlds interpretation in here)- isn't it possible to think that one world that could result is "better" (more favorably aligned to your ideal) than the other? 'Course that's all hinges on your confidence in your ability to read the outcomes. But we all do it to some extent-expect similar outcomes for similar situations. ("Reason", I suppose.)

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'd have to agree that morality of a decision depends upon the situation, but I'd also say that it hinges upon a persons perception and assessment of the situation.

In general, the morally correct choice is the one that does the most good, or the least harm. However, it is usually impossible to know the outcome of a decision until it is made, so the morality rests in making a judgement call as to what will result in what. Following what one believes to be the correct course is moral, even if it turns out that your judgement is disasterously wrong.

Because peoples perception of the world is different, it is possible for two people to be in exactly the same situation, make radically different choices and yet botth of them still be acting morally. Conversly, it is possible for two people to make the same choice, but one of them to be acting imorally because they chose that cause for dubious reasons. In fact, it's possible for two people to be trying to throatle the life out of each other over a difference of opinion and both to acting morally correctly.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
Saying something, X, is the "right" thing to do in the situation, S, usually is just shorthand meaning:

1) Cost-benefit analysis including consideration of consequences and means yields that X is the best action going forward in situation S.
2) Temptation exists to take action Y which is not equal to X, which appears to promise a short-term personal gratification, but with consequences which are not as good as X, considered impersonally.

It is then said in situation, S, that X is the "right" thing to do, which is equivalent to a plea to have faith and resist temptation, taking instead the course which is best in the long run.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
right wrong good bad

I think it's sad.(not really)

Serendipity

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
MBTI Type
RAD
Saying something, X, is the "right" thing to do in the situation, S, usually is just shorthand meaning:

1) Cost-benefit analysis including consideration of consequences and means yields that X is the best action going forward in situation S.
2) Temptation exists to take action Y which is not equal to X, which appears to promise a short-term personal gratification, but with consequences which are not as good as X, considered impersonally.

It is then said in situation, S, that X is the "right" thing to do, which is equivalent to a plea to have faith and resist temptation, taking instead the course which is best in the long run.

Worth noting is that in national economics the basic principle behind is that a person maximizes his interests opposite of optimizing them; thus probably render the answer of Y critically more often than X.

I dunno where that came from.
In an objective view, there's no right or wrong, efficency nor inefficency or anything else subject to your views.
So, I guess that's what you've come up with too, probably a more detailed description but that's my own best view.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Worth noting is that in national economics the basic principle behind is that a person maximizes his interests opposite of optimizing them; thus probably render the answer of Y critically more often than X.

In an objective view, there's no right or wrong, efficency nor inefficency or anything else subject to your views.
So, I guess that's what you've come up with too, probably a more detailed description but that's my own best view.

I still think you're both wrong.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think post-modernism is a way to madness.

It's frustrating sometimes to have to conduct your life while respecting a myriad of value systems that disagree with each other. It's easier if we can agree on certain rules of etiquette, some standards of behavior, some customs. We are less likely to disappoint and/or confuse each other if we're all on the same page.

Don't you think?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Morality (or lack thereof) is a tool with certain goals in minds. Where goals differ, that's where morals differ. Social acceptance, self-preservation, etc etc You decide what is the right thing to do based on a conscious or subconscious ultimate goal. Priority.

I think post-modernism is a way to madness.

It's frustrating sometimes to have to conduct your life while respecting a myriad of value systems that disagree with each other.

You can always choose to disrespect, though.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Wait, what both?
Ok, cool. Help me out, how have you thought about it?

These two posts:

I can't really contribute.

But I don't really/fully agree with anything on this thread, this far.

mrgorbachev

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sorry to all concrete up in here, but what's the situational example? What exactly don't you agree with?

Of the concept in general- if you think of a decision as a Choose-Your-Adventure sort of story, and you can make two choices (getting all many-worlds interpretation in here)- isn't it possible to think that one world that could result is "better" (more favorably aligned to your ideal) than the other? 'Course that's all hinges on your confidence in your ability to read the outcomes. But we all do it to some extent-expect similar outcomes for similar situations. ("Reason", I suppose.)

I think that the "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" metaphor is really useful to help people understand how I make choices, in-so-far-as I see choices in terms of dichotomies that yield potential benefits, but that is something I heavily associate with Ne more than Fi.

The actual question is very, very difficult to answer, as to how I know which is the "right" choice. It frustrates my friends (most of whom, being at a science-and-technology-oriented school, are T's) to no end when I tell them we have to do something just because it's the right thing to do.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
We are less likely to disappoint and/or confuse each other if we're all on the same page.

Don't you think?

Yes, we would be less likely to disappoint and/or confuse each other if we were on the same page---but we're NOT all on the same page, so let's celebrate our diversity.

Put down your Fe and step back slowly, or I will have to use force against you. ;):D

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
It seems we all focus on the same 3 things when we are figuring out what is the right course of action: Risk, reward, and effort. But people focus on them in different ways, and some disregard one or two of them in favor of the other.

An ESTP might focus more on potential reward, while an ISTJ will focus more on potential risk. INTP on potential effort.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
Don't assume I haven't "found" any views. I always have a view.

My views might not always be valid, which is how I can't contribute.

Try not to completely change your posts.

Forgive my hostility toward your previous answer. Validity and contribution are not the same though. You simply write to see what you think and test your ideas. If you do not wish to share, that is okay, but just feeling repulsion for an answer and expressing that is unhelpful and carries little weight. What you are suggesting is that feeling of repulsion is the greater part of your argument, or that you want people to wait on you. You CAN contribute and you contribute just fine.

If you are so concerned about the validity of your argument, then how can you be so sure about the way you feel? If you sense fallacy in one, predict fallacy in the other. Contrariwise, if you are so sure about the way you feel, then predict your argument will be just fine in essence. Have some confidence.

The actual question is very, very difficult to answer, as to how I know which is the "right" choice. It frustrates my friends (most of whom, being at a science-and-technology-oriented school, are T's) to no end when I tell them we have to do something just because it's the right thing to do.

So true. Actually getting into the workings behind deciding what makes something right, I think it has to do with perceptions and feelings for everyone I might affect. I want to act in that way which makes everyone feel best, and in particular, inspired. Whatever is the fearless action which brings the most vision to people, that is the one I want to take.

Penda

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have a moral code which I created through years of agonizing deliberation. I consult that moral code when deciding whether something is right or wrong. If someone disagrees with my moral code I am willing to listen to whatever insight they have to offer but I am pretty stubborn. If someone repeatedly does things that I find to be immoral I am likely to be displeased and judge them accordingly. When I find society to be immoral (as I do), I am likely to be displeased and judge it accordingly. If I judge something negatively, I do not retaliate or act vengeful in any way. Instead, I am likely to just become unhappy with the situation and probably avoid it. I often try to subtly push people to see things the way I do without realizing it. I am always open-minded and willing to learn, and even though I find it painful to question my values I still do it.