First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    You can always choose to disrespect, though.
    Well, it's certainly easier.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Well, it's certainly easier.
    Yep, just like eating is easier than starving to death

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    Wait, what both?
    Ok, cool. Help me out, how have you thought about it?
    These two posts:

Quote Originally Posted by antireconciler View Post
    Saying something, X, is the "right" thing to do in the situation, S, usually is just shorthand meaning:

1) Cost-benefit analysis including consideration of consequences and means yields that X is the best action going forward in situation S.
    2) Temptation exists to take action Y which is not equal to X, which appears to promise a short-term personal gratification, but with consequences which are not as good as X, considered impersonally.

It is then said in situation, S, that X is the "right" thing to do, which is equivalent to a plea to have faith and resist temptation, taking instead the course which is best in the long run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    Worth noting is that in national economics the basic principle behind is that a person maximizes his interests opposite of optimizing them; thus probably render the answer of Y critically more often than X.

I dunno where that came from.
    In an objective view, there's no right or wrong, efficency nor inefficency or anything else subject to your views.
    So, I guess that's what you've come up with too, probably a more detailed description but that's my own best view.
    I can't really contribute.

But I don't really/fully agree with anything on this thread, this far.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Miserable View Post
    I can't really contribute.
    Try.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm open to new ideas when you find some.
    Try.
    Don't assume I haven't "found" any views. I always have a view.

My views might not always be valid, which is how I can't contribute.

Try not to completely change your posts.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Sorry to all concrete up in here, but what's the situational example? What exactly don't you agree with?

Of the concept in general- if you think of a decision as a Choose-Your-Adventure sort of story, and you can make two choices (getting all many-worlds interpretation in here)- isn't it possible to think that one world that could result is "better" (more favorably aligned to your ideal) than the other? 'Course that's all hinges on your confidence in your ability to read the outcomes. But we all do it to some extent-expect similar outcomes for similar situations. ("Reason", I suppose.)
    I think that the "Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" metaphor is really useful to help people understand how I make choices, in-so-far-as I see choices in terms of dichotomies that yield potential benefits, but that is something I heavily associate with Ne more than Fi.

The actual question is very, very difficult to answer, as to how I know which is the "right" choice. It frustrates my friends (most of whom, being at a science-and-technology-oriented school, are T's) to no end when I tell them we have to do something just because it's the right thing to do.
    "People from a planet without flowers would think we must be mad with joy to have such things about us at all times."-Iris Murdoch

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post

We are less likely to disappoint and/or confuse each other if we're all on the same page.

Don't you think?
    Yes, we would be less likely to disappoint and/or confuse each other if we were on the same page---but we're NOT all on the same page, so let's celebrate our diversity.

Put down your Fe and step back slowly, or I will have to use force against you.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

It seems we all focus on the same 3 things when we are figuring out what is the right course of action: Risk, reward, and effort. But people focus on them in different ways, and some disregard one or two of them in favor of the other.

An ESTP might focus more on potential reward, while an ISTJ will focus more on potential risk. INTP on potential effort.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Miserable View Post
    Don't assume I haven't "found" any views. I always have a view.

My views might not always be valid, which is how I can't contribute.

Try not to completely change your posts.
    Forgive my hostility toward your previous answer. Validity and contribution are not the same though. You simply write to see what you think and test your ideas. If you do not wish to share, that is okay, but just feeling repulsion for an answer and expressing that is unhelpful and carries little weight. What you are suggesting is that feeling of repulsion is the greater part of your argument, or that you want people to wait on you. You CAN contribute and you contribute just fine.

If you are so concerned about the validity of your argument, then how can you be so sure about the way you feel? If you sense fallacy in one, predict fallacy in the other. Contrariwise, if you are so sure about the way you feel, then predict your argument will be just fine in essence. Have some confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgorbachev View Post
    The actual question is very, very difficult to answer, as to how I know which is the "right" choice. It frustrates my friends (most of whom, being at a science-and-technology-oriented school, are T's) to no end when I tell them we have to do something just because it's the right thing to do.
    So true. Actually getting into the workings behind deciding what makes something right, I think it has to do with perceptions and feelings for everyone I might affect. I want to act in that way which makes everyone feel best, and in particular, inspired. Whatever is the fearless action which brings the most vision to people, that is the one I want to take.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INFJ

I have a moral code which I created through years of agonizing deliberation. I consult that moral code when deciding whether something is right or wrong. If someone disagrees with my moral code I am willing to listen to whatever insight they have to offer but I am pretty stubborn. If someone repeatedly does things that I find to be immoral I am likely to be displeased and judge them accordingly. When I find society to be immoral (as I do), I am likely to be displeased and judge it accordingly. If I judge something negatively, I do not retaliate or act vengeful in any way. Instead, I am likely to just become unhappy with the situation and probably avoid it. I often try to subtly push people to see things the way I do without realizing it. I am always open-minded and willing to learn, and even though I find it painful to question my values I still do it.
    There are miles to go before I sleep...