From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Default NF Hero Idealism

I couldn't think of a better title other than NF hero idealism. I think it's the thing with NFs, someone in a field of our choice touches us so deeply that we look up to them and surround our dreams around them.

This is the case when it comes to me and my favorite musician. When I first heard his music, it captivated my imagination and I found someone who actually understood how INFJs feel different from everyone else. I felt like I went through a spiritual rebirth. It's like "finally, a songwriter out there that gets it and understands the Ni vision!" I suppose the relationship I have with his music is a bit like that with Julie to Julia Child in the movie Julie and Julia. I want to write songs like my hero and carry on his style of music when he's gone. I hope to one day meet him, but I'm not sure if it will ever happen. Still I carry on with this fantasy of one day meeting him in person.

But one thing for certain, a lot of his music has helped me to grow and develop as a person. I knew music effected me deeply, but now music is my passion.

Do other NFs feel the same way about their heroes, both childhood and current ones?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Sniffles

Yes I have a hero complex.

MBTI
    INFJ

Sooo.....who is your favorite musician?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I miss those days. Now for everything good I can find out about something I also find something equally or more terrible. After 10 I had to run to fantasy just to keep something alive and even that is now failing as it is what it is - a fantasy. I'm sure I'd find someone if the ideal was right and untainted, but that's an unrealistic hope.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Feeling are a biological function.. an INFJ's feelings are no different than anyone else's..

What triggers these feelings are as unique as each person.. But the results are the same.. Or are you really going to tell me loneliness or joy actually feel different to you??

We are all human.. and that includes INFJ's .. Get it? You are a human being..
    No matter how much you wish you weren't

thank you for listening..

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Idiosyncrazy View Post
    Sooo.....who is your favorite musician?
    Tony Banks from Genesis. He's on my avatar.
    Read more on Wikipedia
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    I couldn't think of a better title other than NF hero idealism. I think it's the thing with NFs, someone in a field of our choice touches us so deeply that we look up to them and surround our dreams around them.

I hope to one day meet him, but I'm not sure if it will ever happen. Still I carry on with this fantasy of one day meeting him in person.

But one thing for certain, a lot of his music has helped me to grow and develop as a person. I knew music effected me deeply, but now music is my passion.

Do other NFs feel the same way about their heroes, both childhood and current ones?
    Yeah I relate to all of this. Meeting that person might be devastating, mind you. It has happened to me. More than once (I have learned to seek accessible role models). INFJs hate shallow connections, and this is all you could get with that person if you were to meet him, unless you had an occasion to work with him or befriend him. Inside, you feel so connected, but that person doesn't know you (or does he?)

The person I met was never as famous as a Genesis musician or anything like that, but she had a similar effect on me. I felt down for days after that meeting.
    I met her again last fall, and we had a friendly conversation, but I was again deeply disappointed I hadn't been able to really befriend her.

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I'm sure I'd find someone if the ideal was right and untainted, but that's an unrealistic hope.
    So true. This is where you get the reality check. Ideal human beings don't exist. This is where you must choose to love your role model as he/she is: imperfect and sometimes hurtful.

MBTI
    INFJ

I guess I'm an exception. I really adore the work of some people, but I don't worship them... I'm just too self-focused I guess. I'm impressed, inspired, but ultimately I focus on my own ideas and potential first.

MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    Yeah I relate to all of this. Meeting that person might be devastating, mind you. It has happened to me. More than once (I have learned to seek accessible role models). INFJs hate shallow connections, and this is all you could get with that person if you were to meet him, unless you had an occasion to work with him or befriend him. Inside, you feel so connected, but that person doesn't know you (or does he?)

The person I met was never as famous as a Genesis musician or anything like that, but she had a similar effect on me. I felt down for days after that meeting.
    I met her again last fall, and we had a friendly conversation, but I was again deeply disappointed I hadn't been able to really befriend her.
    This is something I even tell myself when I envision hypothetical situations of meeting someone remotely famous. I know that the connection I desire is the same I have in the music, and that is really difficult. Perhaps it could be an indication that I'm trying to connect with a part of his personality that I see reflected in me, or trying to achieve self-actualization.

A lot of hero "worship" I think is just us figuring out who we are. We are essentially looking at traits we see in them and how they are related to us, or traits that we wish to have.

But we can turn the yearning to meet someone into something constructive by creating works of art, poetry, etc. and fostering our own personal growth. Heck, I never thought I would ever songwrite before, I would always play music I had in front of me, but now I'm creating my own works. Essentially it's like putting your hero's influences into your own work. I learned in psych class that in order for us to have motivation to do things, the goals must be realistic yet challenging. Thus, it would be a realistic goal to learn to songwrite and practice music to recreate the sound of the musician you like. Not exactly the thing that yields the ultimate happiness (getting Utilitarian here), but if you add up the small things that make you happy, they will all add up and it's a longer sustaining effect. Going higher up to the level of happiness you desire then quickly coming down from it won't yield sustaining happiness.

It can be possible that the passion and connection you feel from your heroes can be used to the NF benefit for helping others to realize their full potential too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

― Friedrich Nietzsche