123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

Default INFPs: Not Taking Care of Yourself

Another thread inspired me to post this.

I've read many times that INFPs may neglect taking care of themselves, as in eating, physical appearance, hygiene, etc.

Why do you think this is? Can you relate?

Emberassingly enough, I can.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

It's not who we are, just how we look to others.

It's more "natural"

A kind of "screw you" to others and their expectations.

Those are my best guesses anyways

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

For me personally, I think it's a combination of putting things off, not being entirely in reality, and that 'fuck what you think' mentallity.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I can relate. I can also relate to people (women) wanting to to take care of me, so it balances out.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I look after myself very well. I feel very miserable and concerned if I've woken up feeling tired, because I'm worried about how health factors like sleep deprivation will affect my functioning (as I have big issues with my ability to function in life anyway). I do think my short-term memory capacity (central to my problems) and ability to cope are noticeably affected by things like that. I don't get excited about my appearance though, at all. I try to look decent enough to get by, beyond that I can't summon interest in it. Only rarely will a piece of clothing or style strongly appeal to me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

For me it's a natural tendency to ignore my physical self. Almost like it's irrelevant.

Very often other people will notice I'm thirsty before I do. They remind me to eat and rest. These things just don't occur to me as early as they should. *shrug*
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I really wouldn't say I'm any different from any other type as far as hygiene and appearance goes, I keep up with those (except I do wait months in between haircuts, mainly since I always get bad haircuts). Eating, I'm just lazy with. I don't really cook besides the easy easy stuff. I'm more likely to grab snacks, although I'm conscious of what I am eating, I don't eat junk all day...usually.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I've read many times that INFPs may neglect taking care of themselves, as in eating, physical appearance, hygiene, etc.

Why do you think this is? Can you relate?
    To an extent. I'm capable of ignoring even messes that would shame a CAT 3 hurricane, but actual filth disgusts me.

As far as why, I think it's mainly that the real world concerns itself with alot of things that aren't important to us. It's easy for us to neglect those things we do not value. Even physical health, in some cases.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    To an extent. I'm capable of ignoring even messes that would shame a CAT 3 hurricane, but actual filth disgusts me.

Public bathrooms gross me out, and I'm picky about the cleanliness in restaurants, so filth is not something I ignore either. My home/room is usually quite clean (vacuumed, dusted, wiped down, etc), just messy and cluttered.

I'm actually finicky about my appearance also. I attribute that to being a bit of a perfectionist and viewing clothing/my appearance as a form of self-expression. I don't go out in public without some effort put into my hair, clean and real clothing on (PJs in public horrify me), and usually some makeup. I keep my body and hair clean also.

I do forget to eat when I am concentrated on something, and then all of a sudden I feel weak and realize it's been 6 hours since I've eaten anything. I also forget to drink water, but I am better about that than eating. Sleeping may be put off if I am in the middle of something I do not want to stop doing. I ignore symptoms of illness and may go a long time without realizing something is wrong (ie. I have acid reflux and for years ignored burning in my throat until my esophagus got so raw I couldn't swallow).

I am bad about keeping a schedule. Having a 9-5 job benefits me in that it forces structure on me. When I was self-employed and lived alone, my sleep schedule was all over the place (3am to noon, 4pm to 8pm long naps, etc), I'd eat whenever I felt like it (2am runs to the store for bagels for breakfast), and clean whenever I had energy (vacuuming at midnight), and work when the creative mood stuck me. Basically, I am a night person and I was naturally falling into that while still realizing I had to be up in the day to communicate with people.

Part of me loved it and a part of me saw the chaos as not being something I could sustain longterm. I dropped weight and was a bit depressed. I formed a newfound appreciation for structure and routine. I'm still not exactly "scheduled", but I try and give myself valid reasons to go to sleep/wake up at similar times every day, and that sort of thing, so I have some kind of stability in my everyday life.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

My INFP sis often neglects her personal hygiene :S
    She feels there are more important things she can be doing, like her writing and her art and her music.
    She doesn't really care about her health/diet etc. Same reason as I stated earlier. She seems to be in a bit of a dream world most of the time so she doesn't have a strong hold on reality. She forgets simple things like washing her hair etc because she is so engrossed in her creative pursuits and/or thoughts.
    She doesn't take much pride in her physical appearance either. But she is extremely beautiful so she can kinda get away with it ;P
    At first it narked me as I am really particular about my appearance, maybe too much so, but she is the way she is And I love her regardless.
    "Dad I can't feel my legs."

"That's because you don't have any arms."