User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I take care of myself... in a minimalist sort of way. If it's a day I know I won't be going out, personal hygiene gets put aside. However, I'm also notorious for getting finicky with my hair once in a while. (I think it may just be a way I procrastinate/stall.)

In my personal experience, INTP's are much more often guilty of this.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    Another thread inspired me to post this.

I've read many times that INFPs may neglect taking care of themselves, as in eating, physical appearance, hygiene, etc.

Why do you think this is? Can you relate?

Emberassingly enough, I can.
    I totally can relate and i'm enfp, from not brushing teeth befor bed to not washing hair for a week to wearing the same clothes for days on end... it can get really bad...
    Then on the flip side i can get very obsessive with it too.
    The obsessiveness comes from wanting to be in control/feeling like your not in control esp of external factors...
    I guess the neglecting element is from apathy/depression or even just leaving yourself till last (which i tend to do)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i can definitely relate to this
    except i still don't leave the house without wearing makeup. but i'll forget to brush my hair, put on deodorant, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbleboy View Post
    I get the feeling some of you are grateful for your (stereo)type, so you finally have an excuse to be undisciplined.
    nah, i'm pretty sure i'd be exactly the same whether or not i knew that i was an infp

heart on fire

I don't think it is a "preference" but more to do with that tendancy to get disconnected from the real, outer world. Forgetfulness, randomness, being consumed by thoughts. Not something to be either proud or ashamed of, just to be aware of and try not to let get out of control.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I totally can relate and i'm enfp, from not brushing teeth befor bed to not washing hair for a week to wearing the same clothes for days on end... it can get really bad...
    Then on the flip side i can get very obsessive with it too.
    The obsessiveness comes from wanting to be in control/feeling like your not in control esp of external factors...
    I guess the neglecting element is from apathy/depression or even just leaving yourself till last (which i tend to do)
    That's totally me, and I worry about this. Well, apparently I don't worry enough to stay consistent XD;; If I'm going out in public I try to make up lost time and make myself presentable enough.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Junior Member lovely empty space's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I will admit that I neglect my diet, but not my hygiene. However, there is a difference between hygiene and physical appearance, the latter being something I don't care about. I shower, wash my face, brush my teeth and hair, even usually straighten my hair. Being clean and presentable is what I care about. Worrying any more about physical appearance would require much more time in the morning, and goes against everything I believe about how important physical appearance even is.
    "Like the citrus glow off the old orange grove, or the red rocket blaze over Cape Canaveral.
    It's been a nightmare for me, some 1980's grief gives me parachute dreams like old war movies
    while the universe was drawn, perfect circles form infinity."

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I care about my health when it starts to interfere with my brain. I went for a walk in the forest today, not because I want to "stay healthy", but to not become too passive. For the same reason I try not to sleep more than eight hours. I feel the passivity taking hold even if I don't eat vegetables. The laziness and a bit blurry feeling is annoying...

But yeah, I do neglect many things that are considered "taking care of yourself". I might not eat for a day, I am not in shape, I don't like to exercise, I might occasionally drink too much, I hate shaving but I also look dorky with beard, I rarely buy new clothes and so on. I think it's a combination of

1) I don't care what you think
    2) I am lazy
    3) I don't have any real reason to do those things
    4) I mostly live inside my head, and there appearances are of little use

MBTI
    INFP

I've read many times that INFPs may neglect taking care of themselves, as in eating, physical appearance, hygiene, etc...Can you relate?
    That was true when I was depressed, but not these days.

cheers,
    Ian

MBTI
    INFP

We don't think it matters unless it's important, while others are afraid that if they stop they're whole life will end up the same way. basically a J/P issue.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Another thread inspired me to post this.

I've read many times that INFPs may neglect taking care of themselves, as in eating, physical appearance, hygiene, etc.

Why do you think this is? Can you relate?

Emberassingly enough, I can.
    Yeah, I guess I don't take care of myself much in this way. It just seems like such a huge effort to me for something I don't care much about. I'm not a complete slob or anything, I just tend to do the bare mimimum of respectability: eg. if I'm going out to a restaurant, or out drinking (this isn't a common occurance however) or to a wedding I will dress relatively formally and put on some makeup but otherwise its not gonna happen. There's so many other things I would rather do with my time than fussing about this stuff. I guess it seems neglectful and lazy (and it probably is) but people put way too much emphasis on appearances. I really hate people getting at me about it - if I'm not up to scratch, fine but mostly I'm trying. People don't get that personal appearance is something I do to appease others (i.e to be appropriate and to stop the judging), it doesn't really matter all that much to me. I also agree with what some one else said about how most clothing really doesn't appeal to them or reflect them.

And more in general, I guess I forget to do things to take care of myself or I put them off. I probably need a haircut now but I'm probably not going to do anything about it for a couple of weeks. Also some health things seem to put me into avoidance mode. I'm kind of a hyperchondriac which makes me try to over compensate and avoid going to the doctor etc altogether.

However, all this is rarely a problem, even though people accuse me of being haphazard. I guess this is just a case of different priorities for different people: my attention is just on other things.