User Tag List

View Poll Results: For NF's - Are you a SUCKER?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! And I hate it but don't know how to stop.

1 2.78%
  • Yes! I pride myself on my compassion OR it doesn't bother me.

8 22.22%
  • Yes! And at this point, I'm so used to it, I can live with it.

1 2.78%
  • No! And never have been.

6 16.67%
  • No! And I wonder what's wrong with the rest of your NFs...

1 2.78%
  • No! Not anymore. I used to be but I took care of that.

19 52.78%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

- Don't think so.

- Eek, no. Not really.

- Maybe. If someone tells me something I am willing to believe it. But i'm pretty sure I could tell if it were a lie or not. (That would lead to ther things)

- Sometimes, it really depends on the situation.

- Nope.

- Emotional response...to my friends yes, to other people, it would be rare.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

I'm a con artists' nightmare. In fact I'm a even nightmare for genuine, honest salesmen.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    I'm a con artists' nightmare. In fact I'm a even nightmare for genuine, honest salesmen.
    Hahaha, are you joking, or serious?

How are you a nightmare?

A healthy self-image also contains self-respect.

According to Yourdictionary.com integrity means:
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourdictionary.com

integrity Definition
    1. the quality or state of being complete; unbroken condition; wholeness; entirety
    2. the quality or state of being unimpaired; perfect condition; soundness
    3. the quality or state of being of sound moral principle; uprightness, honesty, and sincerity
    integrity Synonyms

uprightness, honor, probity; see honesty 1, sincerity.
    In light of that, this contradictory statement shows self-abuse:

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I also know that I will let people walk all over me if my integrity is at stake.
    "Fortune favours the bold."

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

What about "I'm not sure"

Its easy to say "no, and never have been" (I didnt vote tho), but I really don't know if I have been suckered and never realized it or not, so I could think I'm not and be delusional. I simply trust my judgement of others (and most sales people give me an instant distrust vibe) and I can't think of any situations where I really felt suckered.

MBTI
    ESTJ

I think if you tend to be a nurturer figure- either a father figure or mother figure, then it's bound to happen that you'll get taken advantage a few times by unscrupulous individuals who play upon your compassionate and giving nature. However, I'll say giving people the benefit of the doubt is very different from being indiscriminate about recognizing those who continually mistreat all the people in their lives.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post

First off --

Are you a sucker?
    Do you get easily taken advantage of?
    Are you a con artist's dream?
    Do you easily fall for every sob story and tall tale you hear?
    Are you a total push-over?
    Do you attract needy or troubled people who leech you of energy and time and possibly money?
    Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you?

[size="3"]
    1. Not really unless the person is really really good at manipulation. If I feel I am not appreciated, I usually leave the situation.

2. Not at all! I usually see right through that stuff.

3. Umm, it depends on what the person means to me. If it's someone I feel I can trust, then they can probably pull one over on me in this way.

4. Not really, but I do tend to go above and beyond for the people closest to me. There have been situations where I ended up being a pushover, but once I realized what was going on (seperated my heart from my head, basically) then I normally left the situation. The only exception that I can think of was with my long term ex boyfriend - whom was bipolar & I kept making excuses for his behavior based on his mental illness. In general, though, my personality is way too demanding to let someone walk all over me.

5. I attract troubled people like the plague & I do what I can to help them up until the point where I feel I am being taken advantage of... normally I don't dispense money freely though - I'm kind of cheap!

6. Depends on your definition of emotional response, as I'm not very emotional towards people I do not know. I also have issues in general expressing my feelings. However, I tend to take on a caretaker role easily so I suppose that is an emotional response.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    First off --

Are you a sucker?
    Do you get easily taken advantage of?
    Are you a con artist's dream?
    Do you easily fall for every sob story and tall tale you hear?
    Are you a total push-over?
    Do you attract needy or troubled people who leech you of energy and time and possibly money?
    Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you?

And if the answer is 'Yes!' I was curious as to your feelings on the topic and how you deal with it. If it's 'No!' I would really like to know -- why not?? How did you become the opposite of a sucker or were you naturally like this?

And of course, personal anecdotes are so helpful in illustrating your point.

Thanks in advance for your input!
    "Are you a sucker?" If you mean gullible? Yes. Otherwise, maybe not.

1. Sometimes. Depends on the person and how I'm generally feeling at the time. As far as taking advantage of my vulnerability, yes that's a problem of mine. Once someone shows they can be trustworthy, I think I let them step too close and sometimes people do seize the opportunity.

2. Probably not. I'm not very fond of people who act like they're overcompensating. I do get very suspicious.

3. Does the story initially ellicit sympathy? Yes. Do I do anything about said sympathy? Most likely no. It really depends on the person and situation, though. I might comfort them, but it doesn't mean I believe them for a moment.

4. No. I've been known to be cold when someone pushes too hard. It takes quite a bit of pushing, though.

5. Actually, no. I never have. I don't know why, maybe people can sense that I don't put up with too much clingy, emotional, neediness. I've kind of had to deal with it all my life with my grandmother. I eventually learned to just shut all of that kind of behaviour out. I would be a really bad person to ask for stuff (money in particular), I have such a tight reign on money and things I use regularly that I get pretty anal about having those things returned. Also I'm on a ridiculously tight budget. I'm a miser even to myself! However, I will freely give help anytime someone asks it of me and expect absolutely nothing in return. Especially when it's someone I care about.

6. Yes, definitely. Inside anyway.

Um, as a kid, I was a really big sucker, much much worse than I am now. What happened was I got bullied, lied to, and generally hurt. So I stopped letting people get close. I'm still vulnerable to being that way, and it's really because I'm ready to give people the benefit of the doubt and accept that anything is possible (which is why I'm so gullible). But I have learned to quickly sniff out suspicious activity and will do whatever I can to avoid such things and such people.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Q: Do you get easily taken advantage of?

Emotionally yes. Otherwise no. And now you are wondering what I mean. I mean if you need emotional response to your real feelings (=strong emotions), you've got it! But if you want money or things from me, you won't get it.

Q: Are you a con artist's dream?

Depends on the con artist. Usually no. I can be somewhat critical with people's intentions (at times).

Q: Do you easily fall for every sob story and tall tale you hear?

I don't usually react to stories that somebody tells about somebody else. But if somebody tells me a story of their own life that involves emotional moments, I do get emotional response to that immediately (if the emotion of that person feels genuine).

Q: Are you a total push-over?

No, not usually. I'm told that I can be quite assertive at times.

Q: Do you attract needy or troubled people who leech you of energy and time and possibly money?

YES YES YES! I do attract the energy leach people and I hate it when they drain my energy. I think this is my biggest problem. I have loads and loads of energy and I hate when the leaches come and drain it away. I do need a massive defensive mechanism against them. Absolutely.

But money or things.. they are not available for anybody..

Q: Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you?

I think I recognize a genuine emotion in people. So I react to the genuine emotions straight away (even if I don't want to). A really good manipulator could get a emotional reaction from me with a fake emotion. I do not intentionally sell my emotional responses.

MBTI
    INFP

Are you a sucker? *rolling eyes* Unfortunately, yes.
    Do you get easily taken advantage of? I have, unfortunately.
    Are you a con artist's dream? Thankfully, no. I draw the line with con-artists. I can see right through them -- I am, unfortunately, a gadget-on-TV-aholic. I have to really talk myself out of from purchasing those cool gadgets on informercials (I have never purchased anything from QVC, though, so you can all be proud of me!)
    Do you easily fall for every sob story and tall tale you hear? In my youth, I have. Thankfully, I have heard so much over my lifetime, that I have learned to be more critical of stories.
    Are you a total push-over? Not any more -- unless it's someone I really love... who knows the right buttons to push (like my boys!)
    Do you attract needy or troubled people who leech you of energy and time and possibly money? Thankfully, no.
    Is it very easy (compared to others you know) to get an emotional response or 'buy-in' from you? Oh, yes!

And if the answer is 'Yes!' I was curious as to your feelings on the topic and how you deal with it. If it's 'No!' I would really like to know -- why not?? How did you become the opposite of a sucker or were you naturally like this? I really think that age has something to do with it. At some point after being taken advantage of several hundred (thousands) times, I have learned to say, "no" but of course, I do so very gently.

And of course, personal anecdotes are so helpful in illustrating your point. I took classes at work (about learning to say, "no"), so that was helpful!

Thanks in advance for your input! You're welcome!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters