• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Music

Prime

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Cocteau Twins are a good example for me. 90% of the time i have no idea if they are even singing in English, but it's still beautiful.

Liz was found of creating her own languages. Although I have assessed she sings about the Applebees restaurant in "Pandora." :newwink:

First and foremost comes the music to me, which includes the vocal inflections. How words are sung and how they fit in a poetic scheme are more important for me than the actual lyrics. Oddly enough, when I write songs, I put about 80% of my effort on the lyrics and end up mumbling like a 1983 Michael Stipe.

Late 80's/early 90's hip-hop is different however. I'm all about the battle rap lyricists.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm all about the lyrics/emotion in music. It's definitely the most important thing to me. When I can relate to lyrics I get superduperZOMG excited. :laugh:

B

brainheart

I may like a song that doesn't have good lyrics, but it won't be one of my favorites. Good lyrics are essential to my loving it- unless it's instrumental, of course.

But I don't know if you're interested in my opinion- I'm a ?fp.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are no real correlations like that.

I don't care all that much about lyrics myself.

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh cocteau twins. love :) elisabeth fraser :)

what do you think of bjork's new album??

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
When NF's are listening to music - do most of them listen to the lyrics?
I have an INTP friend who only concentrates on the lyrics and an INFP friend who looks at the mood of the song.

I don't concentrate on the lyrics. To be honest, when I was younger, I started listening to music before I knew English (most of the stuff I listened to was in English), so I learnt focusing on other stuff. Now as I get older and my English has improved I start paying more and more attention to the lyrics. But it is still NOT the most important thing. What I really notice is melody and beats :)

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I also often love parts of a song rather than the entire song. A certain 15 seconds, a bassline. Rarely do I find something I'm completely satisfied with. :/

ah ah yes :)

I have that whole otherwordly/speaks directly to my soul affinity for music that some people (maybe many?) speak of. (I know that sounds wanky.) I guess the plus side is I can appreciate music on a few different levels.

i know me too :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not an NF but I've always been pulled more towards the melody/beat/rhythm than the lyrics. I really have to concentrate to listen closely to the lyrics. On the other hand, I can get sucked into a good beat or melody with no effort at all. It's rare to find a song that moves me lyrically. I could go on an on about songs that move me due to the way they sound.