• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ENFPs and saving the world

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
For the ENFPs that are actually out there doing something world changing, what are you doing and how did you end up doing it? Or if you are another type who knows an ENFP is this position, tell us their story.

People seem to attach ENFPs to being great humanitarians. From the ones I've met very few of us actually are (at least on the big scale). I know somewhere deep there is a drive to be, but there is always other interests and pursuits. If you look at the careers thread, these are what ENFPs are doing,

Philosophy
Biochemistry
Information Systems
Neuroscience
Mathematics/Liberal Studies/Biology(Environmental)/Psychology
English/Creative Writing
Mechanical Engineering
Electrical Engineering/Physics
Art History
Psychology
English Literature
Physical Anthropology

Only one doing psychology even, social work and the like is nowhere to be seen. We are among the less religious types also, and religion seems to be an entry to a lot of humanitarian work.

So firstly I'd like to know ENFP's experiences doing humanitarian work.

And secondly I want to ask: are we not really that humanitarian except in theory, or do we want to be and are running into some kind of barrier?

Rachelinpa

MBTI Type
ENFP
good questions. i'd like to hear from others as well. i know for me, i like the idea of it, but then again, an occupation that focuses on this might get to be exhausting since i am sort of that way in my personal life... if that makes sense.

what i mean is, i guess you could say i am an advocate of the principles of humanism in my day-to-day life, but not in a structured job description or in a formalized way. i care about the people in my life and hope that i love and influence those in my circle. i do actively seek out the broken and hurting ones, but not as a career.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I worked in a cat shelter and animal clinic out of conviction despite having a Masters in Languages. Right now, I'm applying for a mediator job, to help people sort out conflicts. I am thinking of going back to school for my Masters in Psychology. Meanwhile, I help those that ask for help. I think NFPs are more likely to work one person/living being at a time. I study the most diverse subjects and find that people with all sorts of people seek me out because of that. I suck at doing this on a big scale though, coz it requires being organized, dealing with groups and I feel the personal one on one feeling that fills me so with joy, that allows both me and the other person to feel special in the process, gets lost.

I dunno if this is what you're looking for, though.

Chloe

And secondly I want to ask: are we not really that humanitarian except in theory, or do we want to be and are running into some kind of barrier?

I think most of us are, but at the same time we are very untraditional so since the majority of organisations have big portion of bureaucracy and traditional ways of helping (like you mentioned, religious organisations), we stay away from it more often than we would like.

That reminds me of this;
Ne dominants description said:
Always looking for novel information and high-potential situations is like skimming the cream off of everything; one rarely stays around long enough to reap the material rewards. Ne types are more interested in increasing or developing potential than in materializing it. For example, one might become fluent in a foreign language but never seriously consider making it a career. Or one might become on expert on some field, but prefer to discuss it with friends and write about it as a hobbyist rather than entering the field and making it a career. This is especially typical of ENFPs, who tend to avoid making binding professional decisions (sensitive + that wants to be free of external limitations). ENTPs feel more comfortable being part of institutions and organizations that obligate them in some way, because they understand that these obligations are mere formalities that aren't too hard to perform. ENFPs blow the importance of formalities out of proportion, as if having to get a few signatures or recommendations is simply "too restrictive" to allow them to work.

This is at least one of the main reasons for me staying away from it.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
I am currently going through training to work for the International Red Cross in the Middle East. I do not know what my next assignment will be.

It has been a long road and it was a lot of commitment, so if ENFPs are passionate enough about something they are willing to go through all the steps. So dont let the stereotype of something being too restrictive put you in a box. :)

I have gotten a master in Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies and I have become fluent in French and Arabic and I am now working on Hebrew.

I will be working with prisoners of war, investigating human rights violations, helping people after bombings etc..

PeaceRobin

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I am a fundraiser for a very successful children's non-profit charity. I went through a lot of effort to open up the doors to be involved in such a well known global charity. Despite having an OK resume, my passion and persistence paid off in the end as I applied for multiple jobs over the course of a year.

However, I am not still not satisfied. I am surrounded by the most inspiring invididuals, yet I feel I am on the wrong side of the organization. I want to get involved in the actual missions, which, btw, are not religious whatsoever, as oppose to the funding of these missions. I'm thinking about moving abroad to become fluent in another language so I can try to be on the programs side as oppose to the raising money side. It offers more adventure and traveling to appease to my yearning to see my work paying off first hand and my need for new experiences, and quite frankly, to ditch the office work for something more fun and exciting.

Honestly, I think ENFPs can differ depending on their ennegram. I think most of us are either a 2 (Helper), 3 (Acheiver) or 7 (enthusiast). If you are more of a 2 w a 7, you will go out there and find a way to help while mixing in adventure. If you are a 3, you will be more concerned with the status quo and find smaller ways to help. I'm a mix of all 3, but as I mature am starting to realize to find my true self I need to ditch the 3, so I obviously I will be embracing more of my 3 and 7. Peace out USA. Others need our help :)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I have spent a big chunk of my life volunteering and doing organizing work. I dont really consider it 'humanitarian work' though. I would consider more activist work and generally do no even use that moniker. They are huge and important distinctions.

Humanitarian work is trying to feed children by literally collecting and distributing food. I.E. volunteering at a soup kitchen or community pantry (which I've done). Activist work is trying to change laws and minds to redistribute existing wealth or create new jobs. Sometimes humanitarian and activist work overlap, but they are distinct.

On a personal level, NFs in general want be kind to individuals.

On a global level, humanitarian work has always been too soft for me. It generally does not get at the root causes of problems, it merely alleviates the symptoms. Humanitarian work is very socially acceptable and historically overlaps with religious charities. Humanitarian work is often part of the status quo as its accepted that the poor and disadvantaged will always be a part of the world and someone or some organization will have to take care of them. Activist work addresses the root problems and tends to shake things up and even be disruptive and is not always socially accepted (though if the work is done well, after the fact history will favor the activists).

I'm definitely more of an activist than a traditional humanitarian.

There are tons of INFPs and ENFPs in the activist/educator circles I know. ENFP women (and men) fall like apples from trees. They work in women's shelters, all sorts of small non profits, as educators and mentors and journalists, championing people in the margins, etc. A lot of work falls outside of traditional 'activist' or 'humanitarian' labels but in the end are about evening out historical inequality, increasing access and opportunities to things, and celebrating and uplifting people.

The XNFPs I know who are involved with these efforts are definitely more interested in pushing things and critquing things and basically changing things than perpetuating status quo.

Having said that, the people I know who are more likely to do traditional volunteering such as at a food pantry or animal shelter are 'Js'. I think the 'J' helps them stick to a volunteering schedule lol and directs their care in a more formal/regimented way. And btw, I'm not knocking traditional volunteering at all.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
i was on the board of directors of a non profit in bayview hunter's point where we mostly dealt with gentrification issues in that area largely a result of the city of san francisco turning a blind eye to some of the issues there with developers and the way they handled their business. developers in los angeles did it in a more satisfactory way when comparing the two cities.

another i taught an SAT class to low income high schoolers in South Los Angeles. this was actually pretty fun, and the kids were pretty studious and cool to teach.

sample of me teaching that class:

Me: So make sure you guys carry around that vocab notebook EVERYWHERE you go!
Student: *looks at me with disbelief*
Me: What??!? How come ur not gonna do it?
Student: ummm.... cus if other kids see me with it, they are going to make fun of me... its gonna be bad!
Me: Well, just hide it in your bag then! You don't have to carry it around on your hand! Sheesh...

LOLZ

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I would love to save the world, but I'm afraid that I'm not exactly the person you would choose if you had to find someone who would be good at killing a few billion people without getting killed herself.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What does it mean to do your bit to contribute to the world or even the world around you?

I like the question raised because it does match so well with a quintessential ENFP trait - to make a contribution and to make life better for the people around us, as many as possible. One area in which we can be quite ambitious, in spite of ourselves.

In my view, all this involves is exerting individual effort to help people's lives be better in some way and isn't just done with the goal of reward. That could be done anywhere and in any field, right? Some through education, some through technological developments that make life easier or increase our knowledge, some through being good friends/family members....

At the heart of humanitarianism is the idea of being human - compassionate, egalitarian, just, fair...it's lovely if that leads to a life that involves great humanitarian work but being human could be enough for some and still be a significant contribution.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Although I don't consider myself much of a humanitarian, I will post anyways because other people do.

I volunteer once a year to different things. Animal shelters, soup kitchens, I try to mix it up. Last year I was attempting to volunteer at PUSH (a skateboarding community here) but I haven't been approved on the committee yet, so I felt a bit bad that I didn't do much of anything.

My current job is in the US Army National Guard, so I served overseas in OIF.
I'm currently a fulltime student one semester and a final away from my Associates in Science, where I will go on to enroll in a surgical technician certification. My plans are to get my Bachelors in Biology (or Biotechnology, I haven't decided yet) to attempt the MCAT for Medical school.

^ These are all plans subject to change at any time.

Outside of that, I do oddball jobs to finance my bills and life while I stay at home and help my family out.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Honestly, I think ENFPs can differ depending on their ennegram. I think most of us are either a 2 (Helper), 3 (Acheiver) or 7 (enthusiast). If you are more of a 2 w a 7, you will go out there and find a way to help while mixing in adventure. If you are a 3, you will be more concerned with the status quo and find smaller ways to help. I'm a mix of all 3, but as I mature am starting to realize to find my true self I need to ditch the 3, so I obviously I will be embracing more of my 3 and 7. Peace out USA. Others need our help :)

I feel the EXACT same way on this aspect. I hang out with two other ENFPs on a regular basis, and our differences are vast despite our thinking processes being similar, due to the different things that drive us in our lives.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I guess that makes the ENFP enneagram type 8 - the benevolent dictator uh?

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think INFJ's more appropriately deserve the label of humanitarians.

Two things I am training to do, but have not done yet:

-Teach dance to underprivileged inner city kids
-do medical volunteering or teaching over seas

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I have done quite a bit of volunteer work, but not so much in the last 10 years. I used to volunteer with teen moms, fundraise for charities, organize children's programs, run youth groups ... then, I experienced a burn-out just before I turned 30. Had to rethink the how and why of spending all my energy.

Continually, there's the pull to help but I work a lot harder to balance it now.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I used to do all kinds of voluteer work before I started college. I visited women in prison, donated to charities, organized a fundraiser for a battered women's shelter, and fed homeless people.

Now that I'm in school, I don't really do much for other people anymore. I go to class, work, and then when I'm not doing that I'm pretty lazy and self-absorbed now. I hope I get my humanitarian streak back after I graduate from college. I do still care for stray pets and that type of thing, so my heart still bleeds - I'm just not as active about it.

sculpting

I find happiness in helping the masses via my day to day activities as I have very little time to volunteer.

I actually got points off in my annual performance review for caring too much about my customer and putting their needs ahead of making a bit of extra incremental revenue for the company.

I also will very actively defend the worker bees in my organization and try and look after their best interests when large organizational changes are being made.