• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] Modern morals

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Does not doing something on principle, but not telling the other person this, negate the principle?

I'll give an example. I was asked to cover an evening shift at work this morning. But I don't feel like doing a favour because I was cut from two morning shifts and only found out at the last minute. That might sound petty but i feel ive been messed around and it wouldn't get me far if I told my boss that is the reason. So is my principle lost because I am protecting my future interests and not informing them?

As a side note, I believe if you don't want to do a shift you're not scheduled for there doesn't have to be a reason - it's you're own time and feeling guilty about wanting to keep it is just silly. So my question here is more to do with semantics.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Is the purpose of this thread to answer your question or get discussion about modern morals going?

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
It's dual. To get an answer and to have a thread devoted to other questions regarding minor (or major?) ethical situations.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
You aren't doing anything on principle so...

I don't understand.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Not covering a shift because they have been messing me about. That's on principle.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Haha, it's an interesting moral principle which gets you out of things instead of tasking you.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Haha, it's an interesting moral principle which gets you out of things instead of tasking you.

Not really because I don't need to get out of it. If I wouldn't mind doing it I'd be happy to work, if I don't feel like it, I won't. I already pointed out I don't feel obligated to give them my free time - I don't need an excuse. My question is do principles lowe their meaning when they are not voiced? In previous jobs I would have stated clearly my reasons, my current employer I feel is a little unbalanced (I am learning).

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not doing something because of something.

The principle creates the "not doing" of the action.

nynesneg

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Does not doing something on principle, but not telling the other person this, negate the principle?

I'll give an example. I was asked to cover an evening shift at work this morning. But I don't feel like doing a favour because I was cut from two morning shifts and only found out at the last minute. That might sound petty but i feel ive been messed around and it wouldn't get me far if I told my boss that is the reason. So is my principle lost because I am protecting my future interests and not informing them?

As a side note, I believe if you don't want to do a shift you're not scheduled for there doesn't have to be a reason - it's you're own time and feeling guilty about wanting to keep it is just silly. So my question here is more to do with semantics.

Hmm... to clarify that I understand your question, let me give an example.

I've had situations where my coworker (my senior), did things I consider highly unethical teamwork. But I see no point in talking to my boss because he a) would side with her b) wouldn't see it as a real problem because he does the same thing, and c) would discuss it with me and wouldn't understand my argument.

Does that count?

Sizzling Berry

MBTI Type
INFP
Not really because I don't need to get out of it. If I wouldn't mind doing it I'd be happy to work, if I don't feel like it, I won't. I already pointed out I don't feel obligated to give them my free time - I don't need an excuse. My question is do principles lowe their meaning when they are not voiced? In previous jobs I would have stated clearly my reasons, my current employer I feel is a little unbalanced (I am learning).
Good luck TickTock :hug:!!

I can imagine that there are plenty dilemmas like that in life both private and professional. They tend to bother me a lot as well - had a big discussion about them with a friend today.

I believe that if you want to get people to respect you or your values/ principles you can take two ways. You can either tell them directly in what way you would like to be treated or inspire them to treat you that way. First one seems to be more open and clear/ pure in its basis, however is not always possible, appropriate, safe, well-adjusted to the situation etc. If you react to people in a certain way to make them treat you and your time with respect u just change the means to achieve it. It does not necessarily mean that the principle has been changed: say personal time (yours included) should be treated with respect.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Hmm... to clarify that I understand your question, let me give an example.

I've had situations where my coworker (my senior), did things I consider highly unethical teamwork. But I see no point in talking to my boss because he a) would side with her b) wouldn't see it as a real problem because he does the same thing, and c) would discuss it with me and wouldn't understand my argument.

Does that count?

Yes along those lines.

Thanks Sizzling. :hug:

And indeed Disco.

MBTI Type
INTP
Refusing to work under conditions where employee-employer relations are hostile would be a far more sound 'principle'. Your current rationale is self-defeating. Your employer's rationale is irrelevant. You either value the job enough to put it's demands ahead of your personal desires, or you don't, in which case you should resign. Spitefully undermining productivity while receiving a paycheck is unarguably unethical.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Refusing to work under conditions where employee-employer relations are hostile would be a far more sound 'principle'. Your current rationale is self-defeating. Your employer's rationale is irrelevant. You either value the job enough to put it's demands ahead of your personal desires, or you don't, in which case you should resign. Spitefully undermining productivity while receiving a paycheck is unarguably unethical.

What part of the world being an unfair place didn't you understand?

You're the only person in charge of your happiness. And the only one to blame for that happiness' absence or overabundance.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3

I am considering looking for something else. My job is otherwise good. I haven't been there long and I have heard about my boss's temperment; she usually appears affable. Recently she fired someone without giving a reason and she does do things that others have found confusing. Some of the staff have mentioned they feel it's about time to move on. It's a nice place to work other than what I've mentioned. And looking for another job is easier said than done... Anyway thanks for your input.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Unfair I won't helping you for no reason? It's perfectly fair given our history. Smart people know how to put aside differences and cooperate to win.

If you don't want to do that, suit yourself. I'm perfectly happy to continue with my current path.

TickTock

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Essentially it's deciding between standing by your principles and swallowing your pride because you need money to live. In this job climate there are few job options. An employers power is often in the employees need for the job, it's not a very good foundation for a relationship.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you stood for a principle, but the employer has no idea that this is why you would not work a shift. I don't think that negates the principle, because a big part of doing what you feel is right is knowing you did, even if no one else knows or even if they call it "wrong". You just didn't get to teach them the lesson that you would've liked to have taught. And of course, there's the "choose your battles" perspective, when something's just not worth stirring the pot. This sounds like one of those times...

You either value the job enough to put it's demands ahead of your personal desires, or you don't, in which case you should resign. Spitefully undermining productivity while receiving a paycheck is unarguably unethical.

In retail, being called in for an extra shift is like being asked to work a weekend or stay very late on a M-F 9-5 job; you have a right to decline. It's not time you originally agreed to work, so it's not insubordination.

I don't think a job should ever come before your personal priorities either. It's just money. Sure, you may compromise certain frivolous desires (ie. sleeping in), but there's a line. Just because someone gives you a paycheck does not mean they own your life.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Depends on if whether or not the actions/consequences behind the principle will end up harming the people involved in the long-run?

TickTock- in context to your situation at work, I see no harm done. In fact, I see it as standing up for one's own rights, in which I felt like you respected your own rights- to choose not to be pushed around.. even if it meant that earning a few extra bucks could've been ideal, it was at the expense of principle- not being taken advantaged/for granted of.. I see it more as setting boundaries.

To put it nicely- I wouldn't bend over backwards for assholes. lol U get a lot of those in retail.

I heard employee satisfaction highly depends on how well one is treated by management/their superiors. It's a trickle down effect. :yes: Hang in there.

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm with OrangeAppled on this one for the most part. I know when I agreed to work where I am now, we're salaried, so our hours aren't set in stone. If a project needs to get done, we pretty much have to stay for it. Thankfully that hasn't been an issue in my group, but I've heard of others that had to work overtime for a couple of months (staying late and coming in on Sat.).

However for an hourly employee...you get your schedule and it's not your fault someone else didn't show up for their shift. I feel like some managers exploit the availability that some employees offer when they take that extra shift. Do it often enough and you're just going to end up working all of the freaking time.

As someone who doesn't define herself by her work, I wouldn't make an hourly job my priority unless I needed the cash, especially not in that environment. I don't think that's unethical at all. :)