123 Last

Thread: Modern morals

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Default Modern morals

Does not doing something on principle, but not telling the other person this, negate the principle?

I'll give an example. I was asked to cover an evening shift at work this morning. But I don't feel like doing a favour because I was cut from two morning shifts and only found out at the last minute. That might sound petty but i feel ive been messed around and it wouldn't get me far if I told my boss that is the reason. So is my principle lost because I am protecting my future interests and not informing them?

As a side note, I believe if you don't want to do a shift you're not scheduled for there doesn't have to be a reason - it's you're own time and feeling guilty about wanting to keep it is just silly. So my question here is more to do with semantics.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Is the purpose of this thread to answer your question or get discussion about modern morals going?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

It's dual. To get an answer and to have a thread devoted to other questions regarding minor (or major?) ethical situations.

MBTI
    INTJ

You aren't doing anything on principle so...

I don't understand.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Not covering a shift because they have been messing me about. That's on principle.

MBTI
    INTJ

Haha, it's an interesting moral principle which gets you out of things instead of tasking you.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by murkrow View Post
    Haha, it's an interesting moral principle which gets you out of things instead of tasking you.
    Not really because I don't need to get out of it. If I wouldn't mind doing it I'd be happy to work, if I don't feel like it, I won't. I already pointed out I don't feel obligated to give them my free time - I don't need an excuse. My question is do principles lowe their meaning when they are not voiced? In previous jobs I would have stated clearly my reasons, my current employer I feel is a little unbalanced (I am learning).

MBTI
    INTJ

Not doing something because of something.

The principle creates the "not doing" of the action.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Does not doing something on principle, but not telling the other person this, negate the principle?

I'll give an example. I was asked to cover an evening shift at work this morning. But I don't feel like doing a favour because I was cut from two morning shifts and only found out at the last minute. That might sound petty but i feel ive been messed around and it wouldn't get me far if I told my boss that is the reason. So is my principle lost because I am protecting my future interests and not informing them?

As a side note, I believe if you don't want to do a shift you're not scheduled for there doesn't have to be a reason - it's you're own time and feeling guilty about wanting to keep it is just silly. So my question here is more to do with semantics.

Hmm... to clarify that I understand your question, let me give an example.

I've had situations where my coworker (my senior), did things I consider highly unethical teamwork. But I see no point in talking to my boss because he a) would side with her b) wouldn't see it as a real problem because he does the same thing, and c) would discuss it with me and wouldn't understand my argument.

Does that count?
    3w2

Those who are content being normal lack the depth and passion to rise above mediocracy.
    To push beyond their natural abilities and create a reality from their dreams.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Not really because I don't need to get out of it. If I wouldn't mind doing it I'd be happy to work, if I don't feel like it, I won't. I already pointed out I don't feel obligated to give them my free time - I don't need an excuse. My question is do principles lowe their meaning when they are not voiced? In previous jobs I would have stated clearly my reasons, my current employer I feel is a little unbalanced (I am learning).
    Good luck TickTock !!

I can imagine that there are plenty dilemmas like that in life both private and professional. They tend to bother me a lot as well - had a big discussion about them with a friend today.

I believe that if you want to get people to respect you or your values/ principles you can take two ways. You can either tell them directly in what way you would like to be treated or inspire them to treat you that way. First one seems to be more open and clear/ pure in its basis, however is not always possible, appropriate, safe, well-adjusted to the situation etc. If you react to people in a certain way to make them treat you and your time with respect u just change the means to achieve it. It does not necessarily mean that the principle has been changed: say personal time (yours included) should be treated with respect.
    Hot-hearted head