Modern morals
    are hard to come by...

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by nynesneg View Post
    Hmm... to clarify that I understand your question, let me give an example.

I've had situations where my coworker (my senior), did things I consider highly unethical teamwork. But I see no point in talking to my boss because he a) would side with her b) wouldn't see it as a real problem because he does the same thing, and c) would discuss it with me and wouldn't understand my argument.

Does that count?
    Yes along those lines.

Thanks Sizzling.

And indeed Disco.

Refusing to work under conditions where employee-employer relations are hostile would be a far more sound 'principle'. Your current rationale is self-defeating. Your employer's rationale is irrelevant. You either value the job enough to put it's demands ahead of your personal desires, or you don't, in which case you should resign. Spitefully undermining productivity while receiving a paycheck is unarguably unethical.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Unraveling View Post
    Refusing to work under conditions where employee-employer relations are hostile would be a far more sound 'principle'. Your current rationale is self-defeating. Your employer's rationale is irrelevant. You either value the job enough to put it's demands ahead of your personal desires, or you don't, in which case you should resign. Spitefully undermining productivity while receiving a paycheck is unarguably unethical.
    What part of the world being an unfair place didn't you understand?

You're the only person in charge of your happiness. And the only one to blame for that happiness' absence or overabundance.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Unraveling View Post
    I am considering looking for something else. My job is otherwise good. I haven't been there long and I have heard about my boss's temperment; she usually appears affable. Recently she fired someone without giving a reason and she does do things that others have found confusing. Some of the staff have mentioned they feel it's about time to move on. It's a nice place to work other than what I've mentioned. And looking for another job is easier said than done... Anyway thanks for your input.

MBTI
    INTP

Unfair I won't helping you for no reason? It's perfectly fair given our history. Smart people know how to put aside differences and cooperate to win.

If you don't want to do that, suit yourself. I'm perfectly happy to continue with my current path.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Essentially it's deciding between standing by your principles and swallowing your pride because you need money to live. In this job climate there are few job options. An employers power is often in the employees need for the job, it's not a very good foundation for a relationship.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

So you stood for a principle, but the employer has no idea that this is why you would not work a shift. I don't think that negates the principle, because a big part of doing what you feel is right is knowing you did, even if no one else knows or even if they call it "wrong". You just didn't get to teach them the lesson that you would've liked to have taught. And of course, there's the "choose your battles" perspective, when something's just not worth stirring the pot. This sounds like one of those times...

You either value the job enough to put it's demands ahead of your personal desires, or you don't, in which case you should resign. Spitefully undermining productivity while receiving a paycheck is unarguably unethical.
    In retail, being called in for an extra shift is like being asked to work a weekend or stay very late on a M-F 9-5 job; you have a right to decline. It's not time you originally agreed to work, so it's not insubordination.

I don't think a job should ever come before your personal priorities either. It's just money. Sure, you may compromise certain frivolous desires (ie. sleeping in), but there's a line. Just because someone gives you a paycheck does not mean they own your life.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Does not doing something on principle, but not telling the other person this, negate the principle?
    Depends on if whether or not the actions/consequences behind the principle will end up harming the people involved in the long-run?

TickTock- in context to your situation at work, I see no harm done. In fact, I see it as standing up for one's own rights, in which I felt like you respected your own rights- to choose not to be pushed around.. even if it meant that earning a few extra bucks could've been ideal, it was at the expense of principle- not being taken advantaged/for granted of.. I see it more as setting boundaries.

To put it nicely- I wouldn't bend over backwards for assholes. lol U get a lot of those in retail.

I heard employee satisfaction highly depends on how well one is treated by management/their superiors. It's a trickle down effect. Hang in there.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm with OrangeAppled on this one for the most part. I know when I agreed to work where I am now, we're salaried, so our hours aren't set in stone. If a project needs to get done, we pretty much have to stay for it. Thankfully that hasn't been an issue in my group, but I've heard of others that had to work overtime for a couple of months (staying late and coming in on Sat.).

However for an hourly employee...you get your schedule and it's not your fault someone else didn't show up for their shift. I feel like some managers exploit the availability that some employees offer when they take that extra shift. Do it often enough and you're just going to end up working all of the freaking time.

As someone who doesn't define herself by her work, I wouldn't make an hourly job my priority unless I needed the cash, especially not in that environment. I don't think that's unethical at all.
    I 65.63% E 34.38%
    S 68.75% N 31.25%
    T 87.1% F 12.9%
    P 66.67% J 33.33%