User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I help my ENFP friend?

Other than the obvious, typical things, try these:

Try to get her out more and among more people in fun, talkative, social environments.

Do somewhat intense aerobic exercise with her for at least 40 min 4 times per week--aerobics, walking, hiking, running, bicycling, whatever. This causes the body to produce natural depression-fighting substances (endorphins). (These are also produced during sex in case you know of any non-weird creative ways to encourage more of that. LOL)

If it's okay for you to share a little more information about what could have caused the depression, it may really help us give advice more suited to the situation. Has she ever been through something like this before? Is she going through a rough time struggling with something or did she experience something difficult, or is it maybe a more chemically or hormonally-related thing, or due to other health reasons? Is she willing to talk with you more about it, or would she rather spend some time figuring things out on her own first?

As an ENFP, if I am ever having a difficult time or am sad about something, I do want some time alone. However, I will also want a friend to be available for me to talk to when I am ready, to discuss things or just to listen. I would also want to be reassured of all my good points and to know that I am loved. And if the friend (or friends) who is there for me has a great sense of humor, all the better.

You sound like a good friend.

Junior Member Array

I've known a lot of ENF's who struggled with depression. One who had MBTI know-how explained to me that the sense of isolation that comes with depression is a foreign and often frightening feeling to ENF's. Introverts, on the other hand, are quite well acquainted with alone-ness, so whether depressed or not depressed, the contrast and frequency is not as stark as it is to an extravert. I have pretty much decided that I've had 'walking depression' since I was in my twenties. I'm quite used to it by now.

To the INTP (Kathara) who asked this question - use your consummate listening skills. You don't need to worry about your lack of Feeling skills. Giving her the ability to vent to an objective and non-judging audience will go a long, long way to help. That you are aware of and sensitive to her depression (at least in my experience with INTPs) - is all you need ... the rest is autopilot for your type. I think it's a good idea to help her engage with life and activities as well, but that might not be your cup of tea. Another E-F type might help fill that role for her if you aren't up for it. There is usually no one easy solution for depression, and you definitely don't have the whole burden of it. But you do have a good skillset for this type match. Remember that Carl Jung was a brilliant INTP psychiatrist.

Senior Member Array JivinJeffJones's Avatar

If it were a male ENFP I would recommend a surprise road-trip with 2-3 good buddies for a few weeks, with no strict agenda. That would most likely do the trick, or at least temporarily relieve the depression. I have no suggestions for a female ENFP. I don't think women do road-trips. Too many unreasonably high hygiene expectations, and they would probably kill each other in territorial disputes within a week. So I got nothing. Spontaneity is the key with ENFPs, and good friends. So it should be something completely different. Stowaway on a ship or something. Doesn't matter where to.

Hi. I'm a bit new here.

I am an ENFP with social anxiety and have had some issues with depression. Ha! Ironic?

ENFP's get in a funk when they feel like they can have no beneficial effect upon the world, when they cannot change it, or when their bubble gets popped. We need to believe the best in people and in the world.
    I suggest showing her that she has an affect. And if not, at least she can get some really great poetry out there. (j/k)

A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is visible labour and there is invisible labour.
    -Victor Hugo