User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    Senior Member Kastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY
    Posts
    228

    Default INFPs - Ever Do Things Just To Get A Reaction?

    I know it probably seems a bit contradictory, since INFPs initially like to avoid the possibility of conflict, but I've been pondering on it since yesterday after I ate all of the leafy garnish off my spaghetti to see what my sister would do XD;;

    But yeah, I've noticed that, when the opportunity arises, I love to do odd, spontanious things just so I can get a reaction (and then laugh about it). I know Ns usually have an odd sense of humour, but I have to know if this is an INFP thing or just me lol Anyone? Anyone?
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    I think that may be weird Ne-aux stuff, spurred by Fi needing to be unique. Ne likes to explore and get reactions. That's why Ne-doms provoke a lot. INFPs may be subtler because of that conflict avoidance.

    I definitely do this sometimes. I also get a perverse pleasure from people thinking I am odd from something I say/do/wear and from saying something bitingly sarcastic / mean on occasion. I'm not outright mean a lot, but sometimes the rebellious side of me wells up and spills over.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Virgo1987 liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Kastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Yeah, I'd never wanna cross over into the down-right mean side D:
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    401

    Default

    Oh, yes.

    I did things like that a lot more in high school though, before I went to college and all my self-consciousness started kicking in.
    It also seemed like I needed a cohort, usually. Like my ESFP friend, or my sister (who I still can't figure out...E?FP).
    And I think a lot of it was to remedy my boredom.

    Depending on what I'm doing and who I'm doing it to, sometimes I feel the need to explain myself afterwards. I'll do the weird thing, see the person's reaction, and then laugh and tell them what I was up to. Strangers don't get this luxury. :P

    And yeah, I also make sarcastic/mean comments occassionally. It can be pretty interesting to see how completely flabbergasted people can get. Especially from something coming from me...the "quiet, nice" one. I sometimes feel like people don't care about me one way or the other, so having them react to me in some way at all is strangely satisfying. (Of course, I don't make these comments just for the hell of it. Only when somebody is being absolutely ridiculous. Usually in situations where nobody else will say anything, and I've finally had enough.)

  5. #5
    /X\(:: :: )/X\ BlueSprout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    And yeah, I also make sarcastic/mean comments occassionally. It can be pretty interesting to see how completely flabbergasted people can get. Especially from something coming from me...the "quiet, nice" one. I sometimes feel like people don't care about me one way or the other, so having them react to me in some way at all is strangely satisfying.


    I can relate to this. I wish I could be blase about it, but when a mean thing slips out, I tend to apologize all over it, taking away any cool or shock value points it might have had. When I say something cruel or catty, it tends to be an issue of a lack of self-censorship. Dead baby jokes and morbid non-sequiturs, on the other hand...

  6. #6
    Senior Member surgery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four
    Posts
    258

    Default

    I've consciously developed my personal style around aspects that I know will be eye-catching or exaggerate what makes me different.
    I don't think it's unreasonable or uncommon, really, to want to make a personal statement like this through clothes, etc.

    As far as intentionally spontaneously saying or doing things to ruffle others feathers, I think I've learned to control the impulse.
    A few years ago, I simply couldn't resist any opportunity to make people thing I was strange; I thought it made me look cute.
    However, I've realized that this behavior was never particularly endearing.
    In most situations, I know I've said things in order to draw attention to an issue in which I had been heavily emotionally invested, but not to emotionally hurt someone.

  7. #7
    Junior Member Clydesdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9
    Posts
    14

    Default

    At the lunch table in high school...

    With maybe half a dozen girls watching...

    I ate an entire 24 pack of Listerine Cool Mint Strips. (Well, I never swallowed. It's effectively mouth wash and that's not safe. )

    I couldn't taste for three days afterward, but everyone was highly amused. Throughout the whole experience everyone was laughing and asking me to write down what was going on since I couldn't talk with my mouth full.

    For me, I think I do things like that because nobody expects them out of quiet, unassuming me. That gives me the power to add a dash of whimsy to everybody's day with the unexpected. Anybody just going through their day on autopilot is suddenly jolted back into the moment from seeing the experience, and that's a great thing.

    Another reason I do it is because it's a quick way to invite people into my head and into my world. Since I'm not much of a talker, it bottom-lines the benevolence, joy, and laughter I feel when around people I care about.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Kastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale View Post
    At the lunch table in high school...

    With maybe half a dozen girls watching...

    I ate an entire 24 pack of Listerine Cool Mint Strips. (Well, I never swallowed. It's effectively mouth wash and that's not safe. )

    I couldn't taste for three days afterward, but everyone was highly amused. Throughout the whole experience everyone was laughing and asking me to write down what was going on since I couldn't talk with my mouth full.

    For me, I think I do things like that because nobody expects them out of quiet, unassuming me. That gives me the power to add a dash of whimsy to everybody's day with the unexpected. Anybody just going through their day on autopilot is suddenly jolted back into the moment from seeing the experience, and that's a great thing.

    Another reason I do it is because it's a quick way to invite people into my head and into my world. Since I'm not much of a talker, it bottom-lines the benevolence, joy, and laughter I feel when around people I care about.
    You totally hit the nail in the head, man.
    It's such an awesome feeling when you manage to get a whole group of people (or even one person) to burst into laughter, ESPECIALLY when no one expects it from you.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

  9. #9
    A window to the soul
    Guest

    Default On very rare occassion, yes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I know it probably seems a bit contradictory, since INFPs initially like to avoid the possibility of conflict, but I've been pondering on it since yesterday after I ate all of the leafy garnish off my spaghetti to see what my sister would do XD;;

    But yeah, I've noticed that, when the opportunity arises, I love to do odd, spontanious things just so I can get a reaction (and then laugh about it). I know Ns usually have an odd sense of humour, but I have to know if this is an INFP thing or just me lol Anyone? Anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think that may be weird Ne-aux stuff, spurred by Fi needing to be unique. Ne likes to explore and get reactions. That's why Ne-doms provoke a lot. INFPs may be subtler because of that conflict avoidance.

    I definitely do this sometimes. I also get a perverse pleasure from people thinking I am odd from something I say/do/wear and from saying something bitingly sarcastic / mean on occasion. I'm not outright mean a lot, but sometimes the rebellious side of me wells up and spills over.
    I consider myself INFP and I do that twisted thing you do.
    Last edited by A window to the soul; 12-13-2009 at 08:44 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Kastor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY
    Posts
    228

    Default

    Maybe we're just a bit screwed-up

    It seems like we almost have comedic potential in a silent movie sort of manner
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    Likes EffieNu92 liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. When do you "win" an argument? What do you expect to get out of an argument?
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-10-2014, 10:15 PM
  2. Do I need to get a life?
    By RaptorWizard in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-16-2013, 02:51 AM
  3. [INTP] INTP's: What strategies do you employ to "get stuff done"?
    By PeaceBaby in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
  4. What Tips Do You Have to Get to Sleep At Night?
    By Taizic in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 11-23-2011, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO