User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Default ENFP's in Love with the World

I love the world. I have nothing but optimism and joy when it comes to the subject of people. Sure, there are bad people in the world, but everyone has the potential to be a great person. Everyone has the choice to do the right thing at some point in their lives, and I always expected them to take it... especially if someone is hurt.

Yesterday I was riding my bike to school, and it's fairly icy everywhere, especially for my part of the country. My bike slipped out from under me, and my phone went flying from my pocket to ten feet away splattering in to pieces. I landed right on to my elbow. As it contacted with cement there was a faint "Craaaaack". I couldn't get up from the ice and pain. I screamed "HELP ME, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. MY ARM IS HURT. HELP, PLEASE."
    I know it seems stupid, but I turned slightly and looked a woman who was with her kids in the face. They were twenty minutes early for the elementary school I have to pass every morning. She looked me in my teary face and kept casually walking away. Several more people saw me screaming for 5 minutes and just kept on their merry way, even though I was crying and begging for help. I finally got myself up, and had to walk for another 20 minutes holding my bike and my backpack until I got to school and finally got some help. I was sent home, where I found out what I knew which was that I had a fracture in my elbow. It wasn't so much the injury that distressed me as much as my view on the world had been shaken. I was raised that if you see someone crying and begging for help you either get help or run over and help immediately, and I have been in situations where I have done just that. These people looked me in the face and kept going. I'm scared to leave my house today, in case something else happens and no one is there to help me. An ENFP friend of mine faced discrimination that challenged his normally idealistic view on the world and destroyed him for a day. He was sobbing so much that we had to call his dad to come get him because he wouldn't even lift his head off the table in the Principal's office.

Sorry for the TL;DR but it's a fairly disturbing moment in my life. Have you ENFP's (Or any other personality type for that matter) had an event happen that shook your ideas of the world that surrounds you? Did you find it temporarily debilitating? Do ENFPs in particular have a tendency to overreact or is it called for/ do we have a tendency to be over-idealistic?

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I love the world. A lot. I cant get over people, I love to people watch. But I want to do more than just watch them I want to know them.

It's an incredibly idealistic view, but its how I feel.

On the other hand, from a series of unfortunate events I have very low standards of humanity. I think people are greedy and selfish but that doesnt stop with my obsession with them. So yes, because you have an idealistic view of the world you have to watch out because that idealism can become negativity.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I feel indifferent about the world. I see it as a 500 feet large ball of Play Doh. It's been made to deform, but it's pretty hard to do all on your own.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

I heard a story much like yours waffle.

One of my best friend's husbands was riding his motorcycle in his neighborhood. It is very hilly. It is also the wealthiest part of town, quite exclusive. He rounded a turn and fell and was drug under the bike for about twenty feet and then just lay there. For about ten minutes cars just drove past him-sometimes they would slow down and look.

Finally a landscaping crew stopped. These guys were mexican immigrants, spoke no english, and were sweaty and tired from working all day and were riding in the back of a truck. They stopped, helped him and washed him off a bit and gave him some water, loaded his bike in their trailer and took him home. He spent a day in the hospital getting the road rash patched up.

I experienced something like this in grad school to a lesser degree. My battery died on my car in rush hour traffic. It was dusk in a very busy area and was dangerous as cars coming from around them bend could not see my car. It was in the very wealthy town of Ann Arbor. Nobody would stop to help, but one women did stop and tell me I should turn my hazards on. Right... Finally a grubby old group of guys in a beaten up work truck stopped to help. The jumped my car and followed me to Sears to make sure the car made it.

MBTI
    ENFP

america. gotta love it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
    I love the world. I have nothing but optimism and joy when it comes to the subject of people. Sure, there are bad people in the world, but everyone has the potential to be a great person. Everyone has the choice to do the right thing at some point in their lives, and I always expected them to take it... especially if someone is hurt.

Yesterday I was riding my bike to school, and it's fairly icy everywhere, especially for my part of the country. My bike slipped out from under me, and my phone went flying from my pocket to ten feet away splattering in to pieces. I landed right on to my elbow. As it contacted with cement there was a faint "Craaaaack". I couldn't get up from the ice and pain. I screamed "HELP ME, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. MY ARM IS HURT. HELP, PLEASE."
    I know it seems stupid, but I turned slightly and looked a woman who was with her kids in the face. They were twenty minutes early for the elementary school I have to pass every morning. She looked me in my teary face and kept casually walking away. Several more people saw me screaming for 5 minutes and just kept on their merry way, even though I was crying and begging for help. I finally got myself up, and had to walk for another 20 minutes holding my bike and my backpack until I got to school and finally got some help. I was sent home, where I found out what I knew which was that I had a fracture in my elbow. It wasn't so much the injury that distressed me as much as my view on the world had been shaken. I was raised that if you see someone crying and begging for help you either get help or run over and help immediately, and I have been in situations where I have done just that. These people looked me in the face and kept going. I'm scared to leave my house today, in case something else happens and no one is there to help me. An ENFP friend of mine faced discrimination that challenged his normally idealistic view on the world and destroyed him for a day. He was sobbing so much that we had to call his dad to come get him because he wouldn't even lift his head off the table in the Principal's office.

Sorry for the TL;DR but it's a fairly disturbing moment in my life. Have you ENFP's (Or any other personality type for that matter) had an event happen that shook your ideas of the world that surrounds you? Did you find it temporarily debilitating? Do ENFPs in particular have a tendency to overreact or is it called for/ do we have a tendency to be over-idealistic?
    I'm sorry that happened to you. There are still good people in the world, unfortunately none of them were around to help you.

I was disillusioned like that about two months after moving to L.A. in my early twenties. It's horrible at first, but ultimately it's good for you. Eventually you'll make peace with it. I think it's an important step in maturity. Sure, sometimes I'd love to go back and see the world as idealistically as I did when I was a teenager, but it's just not that way. I went through some personal hell at first confronting the darkness of it, but now I've come full circle and made some kind of peace with it. It takes time.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Tofu562 View Post
    america. gotta love it.
    what is it that makes america like this?

we have 2 feet of snow, and businesses still feel the need to be open. i feel like everyone is more obsessed with the pressure to perform, to compete in the job market, to make money, to move on up, that deadlines are too important, that you are already eating in a car twice a week (not me, but other people), that you barely have the time to do what you need to do let alone want to do, that you have to be selfish, miserly, etc.

it's your purpose or someone else's, your success or someone elses', bc someone's gonna be there union-breaking, caving in for a quick reward, accepting that lowly job, etc. it's every man, woman, and child for himself.

it took me a long time to realize the greatest cities are pretty much synonymous with the greatest biggest grandest markets. other than that, it's just home.

MBTI
    enfp

I have pretty low expectations.

I thought a guy was really really nice, just because he told me as he was driving by that my left turn blinkers was on. lolz

i've had things returned to me that i lost before though... that was pretty cool. i think that makes me do the same if i find lost stuff.

never been injured lying on the road somewhere though. i would hate to have my life hang in the balance of the whim of a stranger passing by... eek

im pretty sure i would stop and help an elderly person or a little kid though. but yeah, if i saw someone my age in trouble, i would probably just drive by.... unless they were like about to die, then i'd probably call 911 or something

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

Waffle - I'm so sorry about what happened. I hope you're feeling better!

Yes, I completely agree. We have this idealistic view of the world, humanity in particular. It's regularly shaken up and somehow we can get up, dust ourselves off and still think that, whatever it was, was an exception to the rule...I don't know if it is but I find myself needing to believe that in order to be.

I think I have selective memory about people too. I remember the times myriad people stopped and offered to help me with my car when the tow tuck was already on its way. A bus driver even stopped twice with a full bus, both ways on his route, to offer help. So many passengers got out too.

I've had enough negative experiences too, of course, but somehow when thinking of the world, the above situation rules my worldview instead of the one below.

The most disappointing has been the lack of support showed by someone in a position of authority where there was SO much evidence for the case I was making, including witnesses of the act the discrimination. There was something so fundamentally wrong about not being supported by another woman, in a position of power, in a situation women face every day that it still makes me so mad when I think about it.

Also, believing that everyone and everything has the potential for great success and we may just be the ones to serve as catalysts doesn't help, does it?

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I wouldn't put it past myself to not stop, only because I would be in a shock and wouldn't know what to do. Like: 'Oh God, how do I help this person? I dont know! What if I mess up and they die because of my mishandling??'

Things like that. Otherwise I would feel too much like a shitbag if I didn't help the person.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.