User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 42

  1. #11
    12 and a half weeks BerberElla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    infp
    Posts
    2,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post

    Yes, I completely agree. We have this idealistic view of the world, humanity in particular. It's regularly shaken up and somehow we can get up, dust ourselves off and still think that, whatever it was, was an exception to the rule...I don't know if it is but I find myself needing to believe that in order to be.
    For myself I was like this more in the past, than nowadays. These days it takes me more than a jump up and dust off, sometimes it takes weeks to pick me back up, and to be able to drum that optimism back into me.

    The more that idealistic worldview is shattered, the harder each brush off becomes.

    I used to think that badness was an exception to the rule, yet now I believe that goodness is the exception, and I look out for it, and treasure those very few and far between moments, in which I come across it.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

    DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

    Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

  2. #12
    Allergic to Mornings ergophobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    The more that idealistic worldview is shattered, the harder each brush off becomes.

    I used to think that badness was an exception to the rule, yet now I believe that goodness is the exception, and I look out for it, and treasure those very few and far between moments, in which I come across it.
    Well said, Berb. I think this is true - I'd identify as a more cautious idealist now than before (hope springs eternal). I think in times of stress, I find a need to hold on to that rose-colored image more. At most other times, I find caution comforting because being hurt or disappointed as a result of our own, voluntary, naivete really loses its charm after a while, doesn't it?
    and

    Is it possible to have an idealistic view of humanity as a whole and yet try and develop a cautious approach to individual interactions? I wonder.

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    I have pretty low expectations.

    I thought a guy was really really nice, just because he told me as he was driving by that my left turn blinkers was on. lolz

    i've had things returned to me that i lost before though... that was pretty cool. i think that makes me do the same if i find lost stuff.

    never been injured lying on the road somewhere though. i would hate to have my life hang in the balance of the whim of a stranger passing by... eek

    im pretty sure i would stop and help an elderly person or a little kid though. but yeah, if i saw someone my age in trouble, i would probably just drive by.... unless they were like about to die, then i'd probably call 911 or something
    Are you sure you're an enfp?

  4. #14
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    Well said, Berb. I think this is true - I'd identify as a more cautious idealist now than before (hope springs eternal). I think in times of stress, I find a need to hold on to that rose-colored image more. At most other times, I find caution comforting because being hurt or disappointed as a result of our own, voluntary, naivete really loses its charm after a while, doesn't it?
    and

    Is it possible to have an idealistic view of humanity as a whole and yet try and develop a cautious approach to individual interactions? I wonder.
    I think I was happy in my teenage delusion, but the older I became and the more I tried to force my idealism on reality, the more depressed I was.

    I'm actually much happier since I've accepted that people are...well, people. People have always been people, and my love of history has clued me in to the fact that the world is not just recently going to hell in a handbasket, but in fact, people have always been quite nasty to one another.

    I'm a fan of murder mystery novels and horror movies. I make for a strange idealist, but...

    For me, the thing is to accept the darkness of humanity. My idealism comes in when I think that I must be the change I want to see in the world i.e. instead of expecting it from others, I instead will be the person who helps the stranger on the side of the road. It also helped me to move from larger urban areas (L.A., Vegas) back to a small town in the South. At least I can nurture my little dreams a little easier there, as there is more of a normative factor of community where I presently reside.

  5. #15
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Are you sure you're an enfp?
    do u stop by all accidents on the freeway? dunno about you, but I just look.

    i mean, if there was flames, and someone lying on the ground bleeding, i'd stop. But in general, no, I'd just look.

    i mean, i do teach an SAT class for low income kids in South Central LA. but thats a different motivation altogether.

  6. #16
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waffle View Post
    Sorry for the TL;DR but it's a fairly disturbing moment in my life. Have you ENFP's (Or any other personality type for that matter) had an event happen that shook your ideas of the world that surrounds you? Did you find it temporarily debilitating? Do ENFPs in particular have a tendency to overreact or is it called for/ do we have a tendency to be over-idealistic?
    Yes, I have had that happen. I still wonder if I just attract the wrong kind of people around me or if my currently jaded form is more appropriate. I often think "what if..."

  7. #17
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    do u stop by all accidents on the freeway? dunno about you, but I just look.

    i mean, if there was flames, and someone lying on the ground bleeding, i'd stop. But in general, no, I'd just look.
    Well, you live in L.A. which is an entirely different kettle of fish. I would assuredly call 911 if I saw a bad accident, but you probably see fender benders every day. I lived in L.A. for about a year.

    If I saw someone lying on the ground though, as in the OP, yes I would help them no matter their age. You said you probably wouldn't help someone your age - that's what I'm trying to clarify here. This isn't just about car accidents.

  8. #18
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well, you live in L.A. which is an entirely different kettle of fish. I would assuredly call 911 if I saw a bad accident, but you probably see fender benders every day. I lived in L.A. for about a year.

    If I saw someone lying on the ground though, as in the OP, yes I would help them no matter their age. You said you probably wouldn't help someone your age - that's what I'm trying to clarify here. This isn't just about car accidents.
    i mean, say Im walking across the intersection, I see an elderly person trip and fall, I see a little kid trip and fall, YES I would help them. Without a doubt.

    But somoene my age, who just tripped and fell? come on, he's big enough to make it on his own. if its a fine woman? well, I'd probably do the same, just to be fair to the guy my age. lolz

    Of course if you live in a small city, small town, then its a different story. You're not gonna act the same in both settings. I'd probably be very disturbed if I was in a small town, and I saw people I KNEW walk by and not help me.

  9. #19
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    i mean, say Im walking across the intersection, I see an elderly person trip and fall, I see a little kid trip and fall, YES I would help them.

    But somoene my age, who just tripped and fell? come on, he's big enough to make it on his own. if its a fine woman? well, I'd probably do the same, just to be fair to the guy my age. lolz
    She was crying and screaming help me. And, yes, no matter a person's age if I see them take a tumble I at least ask "are you okay?" unless they obviously don't need assistence.

  10. #20
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    She was crying and screaming help me. And, yes, no matter a person's age if I see them take a tumble I at least ask "are you okay?" unless they obviously don't need assistence.
    i mean sheesh. If im walking by and yeah, be like "R u okay?". if im driving by, probably not.

    people don't really scream in LA about anything. So yeah i guess in that situation i'd probably see whats up.

    i mean, i remember the other day, i saw this dood fall off his bike, it looked funny as heck, i just said " Ay, you alright man?" as i drove by haha. he looked embarassed.

    jeez what happened to you? u said something happened to u in la...

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Any ENFPs Been in Relationships with ENTJs?
    By nomadic in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 05-09-2015, 01:51 AM
  2. [NF] In love with the idea of love
    By Hinastarr in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2014, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO