User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Ni in INFJs

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Ni in INFJs

I have read website after website, thread after thread and I still do not get Ni. This makes me uneasy because it's (most likely) my dominant function.

In the descriptions I've read of Ni, it's presented in abstract language. What I'd really like are concrete, practical examples of Ni at work. Can anyone help?

Same here. I get Fe but still can't put my finger on Ni.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Here's somewhat of an example:
    My brother had quit smoking for over 3 months. One day he told me he wanted to use something that belonged to me that he hadn't used for a long time. I told him if he used it I'm certain he would start smoking again. Note that this item has nothing to do with smoking. He asked me how I came to that conclusion. I told him just don't take it and I have no proper explanation for my conclusion. He took it and assured me he wouldn't start smoking again. 2 days later he started smoking again.

I think it's basically coming up with a conclusion or assumption for something without consciously thinking about it.

Sniffles

Well one example I can give happened a few months ago when I went for a job interview. I had a bad feeling about this, but really couldn't put my finger on it. I thought this might be some kind of scam. It turns out the job wasn't a scam, but it really wasn't anything that impressive.

They often say that Ni is reliable but not infallible, and I guess would be an example of such. My bad feeling towards the interview proved correct, but not in the exact manner in which I thought.

Same logic applies when people talk about Ni "seeing the future". Yes you can easily discern future trends in a general sense, but don't place too much faith in the details. Ni tends to thrive on the general or big picture.

Hope this helps.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Its like walking on unmarked landmines with your intuition using your eyes and ears as receptive
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    INFJ

These examples are very helpful. Thank you. Keep 'em coming!

Here's something I've wondered about. When it comes to people, I tend to be attuned to subtle changes in behavior that signal that something is wrong. It's not that I consciously think about their behavior patterns, but I immediately know when something is amiss. Is that an example of Ni? Or is that an example of Ni and Fe working together?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by istina View Post
    These examples are very helpful. Thank you. Keep 'em coming!

Here's something I've wondered about. When it comes to people, I tend to be attuned to subtle changes in behavior that signal that something is wrong. It's not that I consciously think about their behavior patterns, but I immediately know when something is amiss. Is that an example of Ni? Or is that an example of Ni and Fe working together?
    both
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    3w4

Can someone give examples of Ni + Te (and Te + Ni)?

MBTI
    TiSe
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by 2XtremeENFP View Post
    Can someone give examples of Ni + Te (and Te + Ni)?
    You just arrived at campus and you're looking around for parking. You see campus security around the corner ticketing a car. You continue driving and finally found a spot on the next row. You hasten your footsteps to the paying station (which is inside a building) but someone with no clue on how to pay is holding you up for what seems like an eternity. You curse internally. Finally it's your turn to pay and you press the buttons as fast as you can. You bought the ticket and go to class. After class you go back to your car to find a ticket on the dash. The time stamp is one minute before you purchase your ticket...
    Check out my blog: http://OrnateRitual.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Four

Introverted Intuition still confuses me too. Recently, I've done some reading that has helped me understand it a bit better, though. I can summarize some examples that Lenore Thomson gives in her book Personality Type: An Owner's Manual that I thought were helpful.

While at the beach, a user of Introverted Intuition may wonder why today's society considers tans desirable. Introverted Intuition will then attempt to look at the problem from a perspective other than one in its current context. For example, her or she will think about how a person from 18th century Europe may have considered pale skin attractive, while associating a tan with the lower class.

Thomson provides an example of Introverted Intuition influenced by Extraverted Feeling through an anecdote from her days as a copy editor for a magazine. She recounts how an INFJ editor in chief decided to not print a quote for an article in its original "Black English." Her reasoning was not that it would be prejudice to do so, as some members of the editing committee protested. Instead, she changed her perspective to that of a readers -- one who would have interpreted the language as a proofreading error.

Her examples of Introverted Intuition are more difficult for me to rehash. If you all are interested, I can post a direct quote. She does mention, however, that INTJs use Extraverted Thinking to organize their inner thoughts and objectively evaluate them against external ideas

Over all, Introverted Intuition seems to take information out of its present context, then reanalyzes it from a new angle. In this way, Introverted Intuition differs from from Extraverted Intuition in that the former shifts perspectives and the latter explores possibilities. For this reason, Introverted Intuitives experience reality in malleable way, because information can be so easily arranged based on the situation. Extraverted Intuitives view reality more holistically because they see a complete framework for connecting information.