User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: Ni in INFJs

  1. #21
    Senior Member The Outsider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx
    Posts
    2,424

    Default

    ^That is Socionics. Not quite the same thing as MBTI.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    Hmmm? Your question is a bit vague. Isn't something the action of taking the item in my case?
    What I mean is whether you were conscious of the specific item that he was looking for, or whether it was the association between 'something he hasn't done for along time' and smoking.

    As an Si-user. I'm usually conscious of all the associations that I make so that sort of behaviour 'rapid insight without thorough analysis' is quite interesting to me.

    If you were to look back on the whole thing. Do you think you could figure out how you made the link? Was it that this specific item would trigger memories/attitudes/behaviours linked with smoking in the past?

    What is Ni?
    It's funny. I've always felt that I've had a fairly good grasp of what Ni is, although it might be an inaccurate picture.

    In my eyes, Ni is subconscious extrapolation that can be brought to the conscious if thinking about the process. I don't do this, because I like to be aware of where all my conclusions are coming from, so in that sense it appears as if I require much more certainty before making statements.

  3. #23
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,664

    Default

    When you clearly see a trend that comes from the past and it seems to lead to a disaster on a scale of next 50 years (or more)


    And you "worry" about it while others are wondering what the fu** is wrong with you and/or they are convincing you that life is too random to "guess" something like this.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    When you clearly see a trend that comes from the past and it seem to lead to a disaster on a scale of next 50 years (or more)
    Too much earth science. :steam:

    On a more serious note: Isn't science all about figuring out patterns to try and predict?

  5. #25
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Too much earth science. :steam:

    On a more serious note: Isn't science all about figuring out patterns to try and predict?
    No, some parts are trully about figuring out facts.

  6. #26
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Bart View Post
    Independence of thought might be another way to define it. You instinctively know inside yourself what you think about an issue or what you want for yourself or even what you think is right for other people (which they may find annoying). Other people want outside verification and/or approval or originally get their ideas from outside sources but Ni doesn't really see or appreciate the need for this.
    This is the first thing I read on here that isn't something I do on a regular basis. It sounds like a dominant function to me; the other stuff (before it, anyway) seems fairly common place.

  7. #27
    Senior Member vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    ^That is Socionics. Not quite the same thing as MBTI.
    yeah okay, but it's not far off.

  8. #28
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    I have to say I don't relate a whole lot to the 'hunch without explanation thing'/spidey sense/psychic twist of Ni as it's often described. I will admit outsiders might view the dom-Ni's thoughts as such, because the dom-Ni might be vague to begin with (because I think the nature of our thoughts can tend towards generalities and it can be hard to unravel all of the threads in our mind that led to our conclusion...or would be too time-consuming to bother trying to do so), but I don't think Ni itself is unsubstantiated.

    At least...I don't view my dominant mode of being as being utterly unsubstantiated and pulling things out of thin air without any reason for it.

    In a big context, I see Ni in myself as noting patterns and trends; being almost detached, almost floating in my mind, pulling lots of information - seemingly unrelated - and coming to a conclusion as a result of all of these various threads. A specific example regarding people: I'll note behaviors, body language, comments, will take said comment and extropolate from that everything else that that implies. It is more metaphorical, more abstract, more theoretical....and it's also about an ease with switching perspectives.

    Ni for me is relative in nature; there are few absolutes. Much is subjective, contextual. I may not hold fast to many beliefs/values, or they don't define me, because I also think so much of ourselves is the result of choice, so I view my inner self as more fluid and elastic and changing, and I don't necessarily look favorably at a rigid inner self - I think it creates limitations and the danger of tunnel vision. I don't want to miss a perspective or not account for something.

    And yes, I relate to the comment on developing thoughts/opinions through ones own chain of reasoning, just pure thought/reflection. A while back I posted some of my writings on here, and I viewed my writings as totally reasonable and 'how could it be any other way?', and people pointed out the Ni-ness of it. I think Ni might have a tendency towards stating/believing something as a given, without feeling the need to explain all of it logically - because it seems so obvious, why the need to spell it out?

    Sometimes/often I find myself in situations where I don't want to say something, or feel silly about pointing something out, because I think it's totally obvious. But then I've had it happen where what I think is totally obvious turns out not to be the case...because other people didn't make the connection, or something, and it appears I'm the only one who did. This has happened numerous times in work situations -- meetings, discussions, etc. I mean, not to toot my own horn or anything...but that seems to happen to me...my just finding some underlying theme or trend that ties everything together, when others are stuck looking at various details and not seeing a cohesive whole out of all of it.

    (And, as with pretty much any function, I think it's difficult to pinpoint it on its own, and maybe almost impossible, as there will always be supporting cog. processes/functions that work in tandem with it. So some of what I've described I'm sure has other stuff going on as well.)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  9. #29
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    I just thought of one -- I had a friend who had a baby who was about 20 months, I think -- still in a crib, but able to stand up. One night I was at her house at his bedtime, and she invited me to go put him to bed with her, so I was talking and playing/joking around with him while he was in his crib and we got to "Ok, time for night night! Lie down now and go to sleep!" and he lay down and I pulled the blanket up around him, and I turned and started walking out of the room, when something told me to Stop, so I stopped, had a feeling and turned back around, and as I was turning to face him, he was finishing getting to his feet, and I was all "Aha! I caught you!" and there he was hanging onto the crib railing, drooling, just laughing and laughing.

    Ni is what made me stop and then turn around in perfect coordination with his standing up.

    I think Ni is also why I can have conversations with babies who can't talk yet. Because he had been telling me earlier that he fell down the stairs. His mom was out of the room when he was "telling" me this (sort of acting it out), and when she came back in, I said "Ryan said he fell down the stairs!" and she confirmed that he had (obviously was not hurt).

    Also
    My neighbor brings her dog over sometimes when she visits me, and I know when she has to use the bathroom before my neighbor does.

  10. #30
    brainheart
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I just thought of one -- I had a friend who had a baby who was about 20 months, I think -- still in a crib, but able to stand up. One night I was at her house at his bedtime, and she invited me to go put him to bed with her, so I was talking and playing/joking around with him while he was in his crib and we got to "Ok, time for night night! Lie down now and go to sleep!" and he lay down and I pulled the blanket up around him, and I turned and started walking out of the room, when something told me to Stop, so I stopped, had a feeling and turned back around, and as I was turning to face him, he was finishing getting to his feet, and I was all "Aha! I caught you!" and there he was hanging onto the crib railing, drooling, just laughing and laughing.

    Ni is what made me stop and then turn around in perfect coordination with his standing up.

    I think Ni is also why I can have conversations with babies who can't talk yet. Because he had been telling me earlier that he fell down the stairs. His mom was out of the room when he was "telling" me this (sort of acting it out), and when she came back in, I said "Ryan said he fell down the stairs!" and she confirmed that he had (obviously was not hurt).

    Also
    My neighbor brings her dog over sometimes when she visits me, and I know when she has to use the bathroom before my neighbor does.
    Curious... couldn't this just have to do with being really observant, picking up on subtle clues others don't necessarily notice, like, for one, "this baby seems wiggly, chances are he'll try to get out of bed again, or I see this 'I'm not ready for sleep' gleam in his eye, so maybe I should turn around?" Or... reading the baby's body language (as you say, his 'acting it out') and it seemed to be telling you that he fell? Same with the dog?

    I'm not trying to play devil's advocate here, I'm just trying to see the distinctions between different functions, especially because there's things I thought were 'totally Ne' or 'totally Ni' and now I'm pretty sure that's not the case... or it is, but it's not dominant or auxiliary function Ni or Ne.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFJ] Extraverted feeling and introverted thinking processes in INFJs functional stack
    By Darlene in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-12-2015, 08:45 AM
  2. [INFJ] The J in INFJ
    By baccheion in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-18-2015, 11:54 AM
  3. [MBTItm] Ni in older ESTPs
    By sculpting in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 03:13 PM
  4. [Ni] Ni in SPs
    By gromit in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
  5. [Ni] The pain of Ni in a male INFJ
    By nzAShadow in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 11-10-2009, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO