User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Default INFJs and bad taste in music.

I've heard a few people say this, and I'll have to admit I was a little surprised. I know I'm lousy at gymnastics, dancing and not running into corners, but music? <blink>

If you believe INFJs have lousy musical taste, I'd love to first hear what you define as "bad music", and then, explain what it is about INFJ-ness that predisposes us to being musically backward.

Then, if I'm not totally intimidated, and if you'd indulge my vanity, I'll state what music I love, and you can let me know if it's something I shouldn't talk about at a party. Go!
    I think I think more than you think I think.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Anything involving the crazy frog counts as bad taste.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, those pesky INFJs. Music taste totally correlates with INFJs, in fact, I don't know a single INFJ with very similar tastes!
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

The whaa?

I had to google "crazy frog". Dear sweet lord.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Hm, that's an interesting one. I'm not sure what you'd say about my taste in music. It's actually quite SP, I think I certainly enjoy the likes of Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, etc I think my top preference for music is sort of dark, but rocking as well. A few examples might be much of U2 and the Police, Joy Division, White Lies, Editors, etc.

I have a feeling that INFJs might be into some annoyingly whiny singer-songwriters - I really can't stand a lot of that stuff. Or maybe that would be more INFP? Not sure.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

"Good" and "bad" are subjective. People irritate me when they say that some music is "bad." What's good or bad is dependent on the person listening to it. Everyone is not going like the same kind of music, but as long as they like it, that's fine.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

When I was young, I was into whiny, depressing music. I was more P than J, then, though. Now, I tend to appreciate clever music more than songs that bleed all over the place emotionally.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    "Good" and "bad" are subjective. People irritate me when they say that some music is "bad." What's good or bad is dependent on the person listening to it. Everyone is not going like the same kind of music, but as long as they like it, that's fine.
    +1 I agree with this to a large extent. I suppose a better question may have been, "Do INFJs have musical taste that could be described as "strange" or "eccentric" by most?"

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There is such a thing as high or low quality in music just as there is in food, clothing, writing, architecture, or anything else that is designed. There is also a significant degree of subjectivity and context. Both vantage points are relevant in evaluating music. However, there are so many things wrong with the phrase, "INFJs have bad taste in music" that I scarcely know where to begin. That statement is idiotic on more levels than any bad music I've ever heard. (edit: my beef being with the sayers of such statements and not a thread figuring out what is meant by it.)
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyGrass View Post
    +1 I agree with this to a large extent. I suppose a better question may have been, "Do INFJs have musical taste that could be described as "strange" or "eccentric" by most?"
    I wasn't disagreeing with your thread, just the idea that there exists music that is definitively bad. Low quality, yes. But I think the phrase, "bad music" is overused.

I don't think my music taste is extremely eccentric, but eclectic... house, disco, alternative, rap, indie, electro, R&B, pretty much everything. And I can get into some very melancholy music, if the mood permits.