• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJs and bad taste in music.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've heard a few people say this, and I'll have to admit I was a little surprised. I know I'm lousy at gymnastics, dancing and not running into corners, but music? <blink>

If you believe INFJs have lousy musical taste, I'd love to first hear what you define as "bad music", and then, explain what it is about INFJ-ness that predisposes us to being musically backward. :cheese:

Then, if I'm not totally intimidated, and if you'd indulge my vanity, I'll state what music I love, and you can let me know if it's something I shouldn't talk about at a party. Go!

Sounds like you've had quite a few run-ins with music-snobs.

The irony of it all, is that music-snobs claim to have a higher knowledge and appreciation of "good" music, but I've often noticed that they don't actually seem to enjoy the music, but rather the act of lording it over, or using it to exclude someone.

Seems like they've missed the point, if you ask me.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh no, there's no need.

It is obviously an ignorant thing to say.People of same types don't share a common taste in music, that is entirely individual.

That said, in my opinion, most people listen to bad music, but that's just my opinion.

:yes:

Honestly I've never noticed anything like the OP/thread title said in the forum, and have never had the comment directed towards me in real life, regarding my taste in music. And I think it goes without saying (as everyone's already mentioned) that it's all subjective to begin with, and has nothing to do with type. So the fact that this is the topic of a thread is.....strange to me.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, my INFJ mum has the most diverse music taste ever. She pretty much likes everything. She'll go from some Rock to some cheesy musicals.

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
Sounds like you've had quite a few run-ins with music-snobs.

The irony of it all, is that music-snobs claim to have a higher knowledge and appreciation of "good" music, but I've often noticed that they don't actually seem to enjoy the music, but rather the act of lording it over, or using it to exclude someone.

Seems like they've missed the point, if you ask me.

Heavy. Metal. Music. Period.

:banana2::rock::bananallama:

Anyone who thinks otherwise cleeaarlyyy has bad tastes, and if they do I can't hear them :headphne:

I often find that music is just as much a personal preference as it is a way of life, especially where hip-hop, club, country, and metal are concerned, and it is just as often these people who are trying to fit in who are the most snobbish.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
in complete seriousness i say (a false warning if there ever was one), 5w4s, 4w5s, and 4w3s cannot and do not ever CONCEIVABLY have poor taste in music. with the occasional exception of a 9, all other types DO have terrible fucking taste in music, pretty much without exception.

what this must mean is that many of the infjs here are not 4s, as is perceived to be the most common type for infj. the infps on the board, generally speaking, have far superior taste in music (they must be the actual 4s). the intp 5s at least place respectably.

i want to say something positive about 7s, but i don't know if i can. i'm not sure i'm prepared for a 4th wave of marc bolan hysteria.

4s and 5s are elitists when it comes to this kind of thing, the self is a secret only a few handfuls of society really know... and we like to protect our sacred space from the evils of ______, ______, and ______.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I have bad taste in music, but I really don't think it's type related.

S

Sniffles

I've yet to hear anybody say my taste in music is bad. Weird maybe, but not bad.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've yet to hear anybody say my taste in music is bad. Weird maybe, but not bad.

INFJ is literally the last type I would expect to have bad taste in music. The INFJs I know are pretty uniformly well-educated in music and listen to a variety of interesting stuff.

The one person I know who listens to the most music and knows the most about its history and background is an INFJ.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a lot of music taste in common with the few INFJs I know, so clearly I don't agree with that statement :D

Lightyear

I judge people by their musical taste. They don't have to listen to anything high-brow but if you constanly listen to music that makes my ears bleed (in general generic, uncreative stuff with zero depth) I will seriously consider if you are the right person to be my friend. I don't really care about the genre but music has to move me at some level.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
:blush: I love Weird Al. :wubbie:

Also Jonathan Coulton. :headphne:

i1n

MBTI Type
infp
Heavy. Metal. Music. Period.
Seconded, thirded, fourthed... :yes:

I've been told I have crap taste in music. I love the extremes. Top 40 is just too boooorrring.

Sibelius to Satyricon with not much in between

musicheck

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
The only sense I can think of in which INFJs have bad taste in music is that they might be into mostly serious intellectual stuff but also really like music with a childlike charm to it. This is of course not bad music actually, but I would jokingly call it "bad" music. I have an INFJ friend who describes his taste in music as "anything a 12 year old would listen to."

Ethereal

MBTI Type
INTP
Seconded, thirded, fourthed... :yes:

I've been told I have crap taste in music. I love the extremes. Top 40 is just too boooorrring.

Sibelius to Satyricon with not much in between

What do they know? :rock:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
The INFJs I know like some really good music. I've seen far worse tastes.

They get excited about little bands that I consider not worth a listen, but their longer term favourites are normally quite good choices.

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
In my experience, people often thank me for sharing a song or a cd with them and helping them discover new music. The other day, my ISTJ boss commented on my "general good taste in music" about the fact that I would often bring cds to work to play in the greenhouse (I work in a garden center) and that this created a pleasant, calming atmosphere in the department. My ESFJ manager added that it made the customers more relaxed.
The other day, an old man who often comes to the store said to me: "You are the girl who puts that celtic music on, aren't you? You should do it more often."

Among my favourite musicians: Mary Jane Lamond, Solas and Libera.

GirlFromMars

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a hard time not doing this. It's terribly shallow, but I cannot help it.... :D

:laugh: Same here. If somebody doesn't like a band/artist/song I think are great, it really frustrates me. And if somebody likes something I class as rubbish, yeah, I judge them somewhat...:blush:

Shaggy

MBTI Type
INfJ
Music is a big part of my life, but you'll never hear me say I like something cause everybody likes it. I listen to anything that speaks to me. Anything from Jack Johnson to Korn, or Miles Davis to NIN. Particularly enjoy raw acoustic singer-songwriters with all the unique touches one has to offer that makes his/her music pure. As my mood changes, my preference is music changes. It is what it is, regardless of what others think or prefer.

flameskull95

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I never knew that there is a certain 'taste' in music a person should acquire, seriously? isn't MBTI based on accepting differences in personalities, not making them outcasts because of their differences.

- I listen to Alter bridge and I'd like to hear you say something musically bad about them.
Musical taste is created by opinion, what naive moron says that INFJ's have bad tastes in music, there are thousands of INFJ's in the world, saying INFJ' have bad tastes in music, is like saying all black people are good at basketball.

:steam:Make me so angry:steam: