Istj

aqua-barbie girl

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFJ

Speaking for myself I think my taste in music is riddle with double standards so I can see that people might see that as being bad taste.

The very idea that my listening to a certain type music would reflect to others a lifestyle or outward expression of my inner self is abhorent to me! This is why I never fully embraced the fads and cultural movements that dominated my teenage years. I had passion and joy for all of it, but it was all happening inside for the most part.

Music for me is a rich experience on many levels. I can critique the production values and musicianship of a song whilst at the same time be completely immersed in the emotion. I will also often seek out a song that is just fun or shallow; in fact, I will withdraw from music if it's too intensely felt: I can't listen to a whole album of Radiohead or something like that.

I am not sure how representative of other INFJs I am but there it is: I am a musical snob and yet I listen to things that I am sure few red-blooded straight guys would readily admit to lol.
    [sits down in front of the computer] Subject: Fire. "Dear Sir stroke Madam, I am writing to inform you of a fire which has broken out at the premises of..." no, that's too formal [Deletes] "Dear Sir stroke Madam. Fire, exclamation mark. Fire, exclamation mark. Help me, exclamation mark. 123 Carrendon Road. Looking forward to hearing from you. All the best."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I listen to Radiohead, Rachmaninoff, and Randy Travis ... but I had to laugh when I saw this thread. It reminds me of this guy I used to date whose first comment when he came into my house and gazed over the CDs was "Babe. What is with all this sucky music?"

Phantonym

Hehe. My taste in music is so eclectic that there isn't even a chance that everybody could like all the artists I listen to. And they shouldn't. I will always listen to whatever I feel like and respect other people's tastes as well. If you like it, then it's good. It doesn't matter what others think.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    ENFp

Well - the 2 INFJ's in my life have A W E S O M E taste in music IMO - but you know that thing about opinions....

89% Extroverted ~ 68% Intuition ~ 84% Feeling ~ 89% Perceiving
    Enneagram: 2w1 SO/SP Socionics: ENFp
    Cognitive Process
    Se 30.4% Si 19.1% - Ne 38.4% Ni 26.4% - Te 23.1% Ti 20% - Fe 46.4% Fi 35.8%
    Sanguine | Phlegmatic
    Right Brain Dominant

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Everyone hates the music I listen to =(
    "Dad I can't feel my legs."

"That's because you don't have any arms."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    It's not necessarily shallow. If someone likes Linkin Park they're asking to be judged..:steam:

(I like heavy metal in general and Tool btw)
    Don't egg me on!

(I'm more of an indie/alternative/college rock girl.)

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    judging others by their music isn't shallow. it's specifically tied to their treatment of the self (read: identification). i like people who identify in a complex and authentic way.

aesthetics endorse your way of viewing the world, interpreting your own place within it, and making your experience meaningful. as a creature of meaning, this is absolutely imperative for me. i always need more meaning, i can never get enough.
    I feel similarly, but I have realized that not everyone takes aesthetic taste to be some reflection of the internal person. I'm coming from that perspective, but other people aren't, and it's not fair to assume they are. Maybe I'm getting old, but I'm more forgiving of bad taste now .

All of my ENFJ friends take music very seriously and proudly call themselves music snobs (I don't know any INFJs IRL well enough to comment). We sit in our ivory tower together and make snarky comments about the masses and their awful taste (kidding!).
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

if i figure out how to start a group on the forums, it'll be a musical elitists group. we can have resumes that say something like, i liked mercury rev before they were popping up all over the place in favorites lists all across google maps pitchfork edition.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ oh oh, make sure you add "would gladly fellate thom yorke" and "refuses to give any album in which he is involved less than 9.3/10" to yours!
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ oh oh, make sure you add "would gladly fellate thom yorke" and "refuses to give any album in which he is involved less than 9.3/10" to yours!
    well i have been looking to settle down with a rich rock star- i need someone to appreciate my cooking! maybe we could have a 4-some with isaak brock while listening to the pretenders back on the chain gang? i'll pencil you (plural) in for thursday?

also you know i don't perform fellatio on other infjs. that's incest. that's gross.

also: animal collective is the new radiohead. it's not the 00s anymore, guy.