First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I have a hard time not doing this. It's terribly shallow, but I cannot help it....
    It's not necessarily shallow. If someone likes Linkin Park they're asking to be judged..:steam:

(I like heavy metal in general and Tool btw)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    INFJ is literally the last type I would expect to have bad taste in music. The INFJs I know are pretty uniformly well-educated in music and listen to a variety of interesting stuff.

The one person I know who listens to the most music and knows the most about its history and background is an INFJ.
    I second. And I third for ISFPs. Grizzly Bear & Animal Collective, anyone?
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

judging others by their music isn't shallow. it's specifically tied to their treatment of the self (read: identification). i like people who identify in a complex and authentic way.

aesthetics endorse your way of viewing the world, interpreting your own place within it, and making your experience meaningful. as a creature of meaning, this is absolutely imperative for me. i always need more meaning, i can never get enough.

musically my (imaginary) band has an infp on bass (the sensibility!), an entp on the sound technologies, an enfp somewhere towards the front, an intj on rhythm guitar/keyboards, and myself doing good knows what. the enfp making melody and me completing whatever it is that needs to be completed (animal collective is the greatest example of iNtuitive band dynamics i've ever seen, infj panda bear, possible entp geologist, enfp avey tare, if only i remembered the other guy)

it's like a checklist when eating food, texture, seasoning, savory or sweet, acidity, aromatics, color, shapes, plating/presentation, etc.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by vince
    If someone likes Linkin Park they're asking to be judged..:steam:

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I have been told many times about my shitty taste in music.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.

MBTI
    INFJ

Tastes are relative. I listen to music that isn't widely appreciated... a weird variety indeed, with musicals being what I listen to mostly these days. I have the Les Miserables OST playing on my computer atm. I think people don't emotionally tune into music the same way, so while I feel no attachment to most popular music with empty meaning and lyrics, others cannot get the point of my music either.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

infjs seem to love scoring music, listening to scores, etc.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

I have an INFJ friend that listens to some pretty weird music, but I wouldn't say all are bad. I don't think I would appreciate or even know about certain artists without him playing it in the car. He loves Radiohead, which I can agree with btw.

All in all, hes a pretty strange guy and incredibly hard to understand, but genuine and very much true to himself. I can't say that for many people.

Btw whats wrong with Linkin Park?? They are great for karaoke.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    (animal collective is the greatest example of iNtuitive band dynamics i've ever seen, infj panda bear, possible entp geologist, enfp avey tare, if only i remembered the other guy)
    I miss Deakin.

I have a very broad range when it comes to music. Not sure if INFJ-ness was a contributing factor in taste, but I do know for sure that obsessive studying of music literature when I was 12 had pretty much set me up to be a lifelong record collector. While I like my tastes, I was certainly viewed as having weird/bad tastes by just about all my peers growing up.

But my tastes have never really been congruent with the outside world anyway (with the exception of the mid/late 90's when I was 13 and all about indie rock). Like, I do enjoy Animal Collective, but I'm nowhere near as passionate about them as I am with their influences (Sun City Girls, Holy Modal Rounders, etc.). I've always been more of a musical archaeologist, digging through old, dirty records than new Dirty Projectors. Perhaps my outdated tastes reflect my inability to live in the same time period as others.

While critics often rate the records I happen to love very highly, people still consider my tastes bad. But I don't mind because I enjoy what I listen to. Maybe most rock critics are INFJ's?

Professional Trickster Esoteric Wench's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I laughed when I saw this thread. Last INFJ I met listed John Denver as one of his favorite musicians on his facebook page. Egad! Only straight guy I've ever known who would publicly admit this.

Up until this point, I had considered that he might be an INTJ. Ha! I don't think so.