User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: NF's and Music

MBTI
    INFP

Default NF's and Music

From what I've read, INFP's are stereotyped as writers. (I do actually enjoy writing quite a bit, even if it's just for business correspondence.)

But what about music?

I have been a very musical person my whole life. I have played a variety of musical instruments, I have a very good feel for music, and it is probably one of my greatest strengths.

Do the NF's in general have an affinity for music? If not, what types do?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

It's not one of our normally listed "favored professions." However, from what I've seen though INFPs can't lay any more claim to music than any other type, quite a few INFPs I've run across seem to enjoy music or be gifted at it.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Keith View Post
    From what I've read, INFP's are stereotyped as writers. (I do actually enjoy writing quite a bit, even if it's just for business correspondence.)

But what about music?

I have been a very musical person my whole life. I have played a variety of musical instruments, I have a very good feel for music, and it is probably one of my greatest strengths.

Do the NF's in general have an affinity for music? If not, what types do?
    I have an ENFP friend who plays a bit of guitar and (secretly) composes songs (she admitted it to me and felt all ashamed about it, I'm not sure why, she says she feels she's no good at it). She loves listening to all kinds of music.

My father was INFP and loved music, but never had the patience to learn (at some point he wanted to play guitar like Elvis, and when he realized the effort he would have to put into it, he dropped the music lessons).

As for myself, I was forced to play piano since I was three and the lessons were a pain to me all the way (mostly because my ESTJ mother and ISTJ teacher were very hard and impatient with me and were impossible to please). My mother allowed me to choose whether I still wanted the lessons or not at thirteen and I gave up right away, and what a relief for me!!!
    I started playing piano at church about a couple of years later because they needed a pianist, and that is when I started loving it. Playing in a spirit of worship and sharing, not for showing off your skills was what I loved, and I now also play in a Christian band. Music is not a passion for me, but I enjoy playing with other musicians. I love the fellowship of music.
    The instruments I play are piano, keyboard, irish whistles and a bit of mouthblown smallpipes.
    Folk/ celtic / world music are among my favourites, but I also love choir and gospel music very much.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm a terrible writer. I don't particularly like doing it, either. Now, reading, on the other hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    My father was INFP and loved music, but never had the patience to learn (at some point he wanted to play guitar like Elvis, and when he realized the effort he would have to put into it, he dropped the music lessons).
    Yeah, I did kind of the same thing. I love rock music and wanted to be super cool and play guitar. Notice I said I wanted to be "super cool". Pretty shallow, eh? I took guitar lessons for 2 years, but I hated practicing.

However, I'm a really good rhythm (as opposed to Broadway) tap dancer. Which I count as music, even though lots of other people probably don't. And I have another INFP friend who's even better at me than tap dancing.

All the other types of dance (ballet, jazz, modern) where more of a challenge to me, but I ended up getting decently good. Because I was passionate about it, so I worked for it. And I think that any type can do that for any field.

I think NFs can definitely have an affinity for music... At least in my case, I connect emotionally with music and rhythm in a way that I can't connect with anything else.

INFPs are some of the best at music. They are creative, expressive, accurate. I'm sort of jealous .

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    I have an ENFP friend who plays a bit of guitar and (secretly) composes songs (she admitted it to me and felt all ashamed about it, I'm not sure why, she says she feels she's no good at it). She loves listening to all kinds of music.
    ENFPs can be their own harshest critics. It's sort of the gap between what is and what could be. I do the same. I won't be happy until it sits okay next to things like yesterday and imagine. But don't think it's a problem, ridiculous dreams are what make us tick, and sometimes achieve the amazing. Encouragement and affirmation always help though.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Tried my hand at making music/sound, never really followed through on keeping at it. Some of the equipment is very expensive, and it just doesn't seem like a realistic goal (I've been wanting to make my own ambient music for the past year or so).

There's the three big arts, Writing, Drawing, and Music. I've found a lot of people talented in one are likely to be talented in another or all three. Creative people like messing around with different outlets. I do.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I love music. I'm a big music nerd and totally obsessed with it.
    I've never had the discipline to learn to play an instrument. It's part of my follow through issue....

I have seen "musician" as a favored career for INFPs (not that those lists matter a whole lot). Song-writing seems like something INFPs would be drawn to. Lyrics are a form of poetry after all.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I've played several instruments. I'm a better musician than writer, by far...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm a better writer, but I love to sing. It's a bigtime hobby.

I sing while doing dishes to take my mind off the fact that I'm working.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    I'm a better writer, but I love to sing. It's a bigtime hobby.

I sing while doing dishes to take my mind off the fact that I'm working.

I sing all the time, just don't tell anyone.

Well crap....I forgot, font changes don't carry over onto iSpy....