User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 94

  1. #1
    Senior Member Cranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    240

    Default Male INFPs with mother issues

    You know, I'm beginning to have a theory here.

    Every single male INFP I have EVER met has mother issues. Some are more severe than others; they all seem to have them, though.

    I'm wondering whether that is key to developing the male INFP psyche?

    Manipulative, controlling, absent...whatever the damaging characteristic may be, they all have mothers who were deeply influential in their lives in a negative fashion.

    Some of them have come to terms with that fact; some have never gotten over the hold that their mothers have on them. Some are even somewhat Freudian in their relationships with their mothers.

    I've actually known quite a few more male INFPs than most people ever get to know. Part of it is my natural tendency to seek them out; I know what I like in the menfolk, and my best friend has very similar tastes to mine, so we seem to know a good 8-9 male INFPs between us, with even more ENFPs.

    Why might this be the case?
    Personally, *I* think I'm hysterically funny.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    411

    Default

    maybe it says more about you then it does those male infp's... i get along with my mom the most compared to everyone else in the family...
    what i'm wondering is, why are you perhps so inexplicably drawn to male infp's with mother issues

  3. #3
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    heh.

    Yeah, I don't find that's any more try for a certain type than another. Not to mention that there are always threads like this for every type.

    "Does a dysfunctional home life cause the _ _ _ _ type?"

  4. #4
    Senior Member Cranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    maybe it says more about you then it does those male infp's... i get along with my mom the most compared to everyone else in the family...
    what i'm wondering is, why are you perhps so inexplicably drawn to male infp's with mother issues
    Hmm...it's possible you have a point. OTOH, I have a fairly decent sample size, and we're not just talking about me.
    Personally, *I* think I'm hysterically funny.

  5. #5
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Hm, I've only met one male INFP, and while I didn't particularly gel with him, he seemed to speak well of his mom and I got the impression they had a balanced, "normal" relationship.

    There are several male INFPs here who've expressed they have good relationships with their mothers, and a few who said they do not.

    I'm also wondering if there is a tendency to type imbalanced introverted men as INFPs....it's pretty insulting to suggest the INFP personality develops due to a negative environment. That's basically saying the INFP psyche is a big fat flaw or malfunction. Interesting how this idea comes up after you've been jilted by an INFP...
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  6. #6
    Senior Member Cranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Hm, I've only met one male INFP, and while I didn't particularly gel with him, he seemed to speak well of his mom and I got the impression they had a balanced, "normal" relationship.

    There are several male INFPs here who've expressed they have good relationships with their mothers, and a few who said they do not.

    I'm also wondering if there is a tendency to type imbalanced introverted men as INFPs....it's pretty insulting to suggest the INFP personality develops due to a negative environment. That's basically saying the INFP psyche is a big fat flaw or malfunction. Interesting how this idea comes up after you've been jilted by an INFP...
    Actually, the one that jilted me is in the middle of the pack when it comes to mother issues. I was more curious on a larger level. I keep seeing a pattern when male INFPs talk about their mothers. I have nothing invested here; I'm more curious about why the pattern appears.

    I think we all develop as a result of positive and negative reinforcement; is it so unrealistic to think that a repeated pattern produces repeated results?
    Personally, *I* think I'm hysterically funny.

  7. #7
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    I think we all develop as a result of positive and negative reinforcement; is it so unrealistic to think that a repeated pattern produces repeated results?
    I think personality can be influenced by the environment for better or worse, but I don't think it produces cognitive functions. I think cognitive functions are pretty innate. I especially don't think Fi Ne is the result of "mom issues", and I think it's not only unrealistic, but flat out ridiculous.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  8. #8
    Senior Member Cranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think personality can be influenced by the environment for better or worse, but I don't think it produces cognitive functions. I think cognitive functions are pretty innate. I especially don't think Fi Ne is the result of "mom issues", and I think it's not only unrealistic, but flat out ridiculous.
    Why? I think my cognitive functions developed as a direct result of exposure to my father...who is an INTJ. I think we're probably all born with our preferences concerning introversion/extroversion and our desire to sense/intuit. However, it doesn't seem unreasonable that we could train our minds or be influenced to deal with the world as thinkers OR feelers...or judgers or perceivers. I'm guessing that each person finds one method or the other more useful, and I CERTAINLY think that our parents have a great deal to do with that.

    Why would it be ridiculous?
    Personally, *I* think I'm hysterically funny.

  9. #9
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
    Why would it be ridiculous?
    I already said why. It implies INFP is a flaw. Does getting over these "mom issues" mean becoming another type? How can the INFP personality function in a healthy way if it is basically a big scar?

    I'll let the INFP males come in and prove you wrong, okay?
    I recall more than a handful talking very positively about their mothers.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  10. #10
    Senior Member Cranky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I already said why. It implies INFP is a flaw. Does getting over these "mom issues" mean becoming another type? How can the INFP personality function in a healthy way if it is basically a big scar?

    I'll let the INFP males come in and prove you wrong, okay?
    I recall more than a handful talking very positively about their mothers.
    ZOMG woman...calm down. It would be just as accurate for me to post a thread entitled "INTJ females with father issues". I know *I* certainly have them.

    Would the fact that I have abandonment and daddy issues and the fact that those contributed to my logic and judgment and desire to rationalize be considered a giant flaw in my character? I will tell you right now that the other INTJ and ENTJ women I know ALL have father + abandonment issues. I just already happen to UNDERSTAND why they do. I don't know why INFP males seem to have the mother issues that they do...which is why I asked. Plus, aren't you female anyway?

    We are ALL the product of our environment as well as genetics.
    Personally, *I* think I'm hysterically funny.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] INFP with a Fear of Intimacy Now Ignoring Me
    By CandyCane11 in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-02-2016, 10:26 AM
  2. [INFP] INFPs with developed Te
    By Abbey in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-31-2013, 11:35 AM
  3. [INFP] Male INFPs = Nice Guy/Average Frustrated Chump
    By metaphours in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM
  4. [INFP] Sorting out Relationship Issues with Male INFP
    By Wind Up Rex in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-24-2009, 02:14 PM
  5. [INFP] Male INFPs and Women
    By Ginkgo in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 10-16-2009, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO