• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENFP] ADHD and ENFP

v-in-tx

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
hey there, i don't know where to post this... perhaps someone can direct me...

i am trying to find out more information on how my type and my adhd can "coexist".

i am looking for a more holistic, non-medicated route and would appreciate all the help i can get.

thanks!

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I'd say that any attention disorder is a result of a really strong Se or Ne. In your case, since you are an ENFP, it'd be your Ne. It probably causes you to go from one stream of thought to another before you can even add a punctuation mark to the first stream. You think one thing and then within a split second you connect it something else that stimulates your mind, and you allow yourself to go off on that mental tangent. I do this too, and I have a serious problem focusing as well.

You can probably counteract these occurances by developing your tertiary Te. Te will allow you to carry out feasible plans of action to achieve your goals. Ne gives you an idea and Te gives you the focus to carry it out. Ne can be great, but like all the functions, it can't healthily exist on its own.

Malkavia

MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
3w4
I'm an ENFP and was actually diagnosed with ADHD as a child.

Im in college and dont take medications or anything. You just have to learn about yourself. You learn when you arent paying attention, or when you arent thinking and catch yourself!

It takes a lot of self reflection which a lot of ENFPs dont do enough.

v-in-tx

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
thanks this is actually quite helpful. :D

I'd say that any attention disorder is a result of a really strong Se or Ne. In your case, since you are an ENFP, it'd be your Ne. It probably causes you to go from one stream of thought to another before you can even add a punctuation mark to the first stream. You think one thing and then within a split second you connect it something else that stimulates your mind, and you allow yourself to go off on that mental tangent. I do this too, and I have a serious problem focusing as well.

You can probably counteract these occurances by developing your tertiary Te. Te will allow you to carry out feasible plans of action to achieve your goals. Ne gives you an idea and Te gives you the focus to carry it out. Ne can be great, but like all the functions, it can't healthily exist on its own.

v-in-tx

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
funny... my husband would beg to differ on that last statement. he says i'm in my head too much. :shock:

I'm an ENFP and was actually diagnosed with ADHD as a child.

Im in college and dont take medications or anything. You just have to learn about yourself. You learn when you arent paying attention, or when you arent thinking and catch yourself!

It takes a lot of self reflection which a lot of ENFPs dont do enough.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
hey there, i don't know where to post this... perhaps someone can direct me...

i am trying to find out more information on how my type and my adhd can "coexist".

i am looking for a more holistic, non-medicated route and would appreciate all the help i can get.

thanks!

Hope these help, I only recommend the Born To Explore site which I've used in my interactions with multiple children in the past. The others I just happened to find browsing Google just now.
ADHD? Or is Your Child Actually Gifted? - Special Needs - Families.com
Are Your Kids ADD, ADHD, or Intuitively/Psychically Gifted? - From Paranormal to Pretty Normal

The Natural Born Scientist
The DSM IV Diagnostic Criteria: A Closer Look:
As you will see, strong Extraverts may appear hyperactive/impulsive, while strong Intuitives and Perceivers may appear inattentive. I discovered my son and I are extremes in all three - a potent combination! For more information on MBTI temperament see

"Most of the behavior problems Extraverted children have in school are the direct result of being confined to a chair, and required to work for an extended period of time on a paper-and-pencil activity in a room where silence must be maintained."

"Left alone in a room,[Extraverts]become distracted, bored, or rambunctious as their energy drains away.They need other people around in order to keep their brains awake."

"Extraverted children frequently interrupt others, unable to hold onto any thought or idea for any length of time without expressing it. When you interrupt an Extraverted child's words, you interfere with her thinking...Extraverted children do tend to think out loud, and they may simply say things to see how they sound. And in speaking before thinking, they may end up saying things that they don't mean or that are not true.

This is also described as the child who likes to start things but doesn't finish them, or who bounces from toy to toy. Perceivers are defined, in part, by their preference for starting projects rather than finishing them.

Note that nearly all children identified as ADD actually focus extremely well on anything they find interesting. The problem is usually that they do not find SCHOOL interesting.

The Born To Explore site touches on adult issues as well, but talks a lot about natural temperamental differences and the diagnosis of "disorders".

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
:banana:

Too impatient to read the OP... am an ENFP and have been diagnosed with ADHD, but they dooooooooon't knoooooooow!!!!

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
This is probably one of the most interesting things I've learned about MBTI, that the whole "live up to the schools rules, you don't fit" thing just isn't appropriate.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, I studied education when I first began college and it really opened my eyes to how whacked the school system is - that, plus, one of my favorite teachers from high school (AP English) quit teaching in public schools because she felt that the restrictions were just getting ridiculously tighter for what was acceptable and what was not.

MBTI helps with that, too, I agree Elaur.

v-in-tx

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
yes, the public school system IS whacked and the main reason my kids are in a charter school. great ratio to kids and better communication on the needs of the child... not the stats.

Yeah, I studied education when I first began college and it really opened my eyes to how whacked the school system is - that, plus, one of my favorite teachers from high school (AP English) quit teaching in public schools because she felt that the restrictions were just getting ridiculously tighter for what was acceptable and what was not.

MBTI helps with that, too, I agree Elaur.

v-in-tx

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
thanks darlin'. i'll be looking these over this weekend. :D

Hope these help, I only recommend the Born To Explore site which I've used in my interactions with multiple children in the past. The others I just happened to find browsing Google just now.
ADHD? Or is Your Child Actually Gifted? - Special Needs - Families.com
Are Your Kids ADD, ADHD, or Intuitively/Psychically Gifted? - From Paranormal to Pretty Normal

The Natural Born Scientist
The DSM IV Diagnostic Criteria: A Closer Look:

The Born To Explore site touches on adult issues as well, but talks a lot about natural temperamental differences and the diagnosis of "disorders".

Heart&Brain

MBTI Type
ENFP
My daugther (13) is diagnosed with a mild ADD and I suspect I have the tendency as well - it's 80 % hereditary. We are obviously very different in many ways (I think she's ESTP), but the Ne / Se dom observation makes perfect sense of our similarities. When we are both in the talkative mood it has now become so obvious, that we'll end up laughing and shouting "Don't you dare to interrupt me when I'm interrupting!!!"

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
My mind is always full of energy. It's just always too full, like five hundred people tripping om XTC in a tiny little cage without enough space for everyone. According to many test I probably have ADD, but I've never been officially diagnosed (long story, I was sent do a center where they would test me but at first I had to talk to this psychiatrist and he wanted my dad to be there when I was having this first conversation with him. It turned out to be a drama, whenever I started telling something my father interupted me and made up his own version of my story which wasn't true at all. The psychiatrist listened to my father and not to me, so in the end he didn't even think about having me tested. He thought I was just a lazy adolescent with lack of ambition). I do think I have ADD, I certainly can't normally do routine work and it drives me crazy. There is way too much energy in my mind and nothing can ever get that energy out of me, not even playing sports as many people recommended to me (I'll tell you, sports make my mind even fuller). It's just this permanent restlessness that never goes away. I actually don't really mind this, but it's not really helpfull when you're ought to live a life that has no space left for spontanious things and releasing that mental energy. My life so much routine that I just can't handle it and it doesn't look like there is coming an end to it an time soon.

I don't have ADHD.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't think i do either but but i just can't slow my mind down enough to do things at a slow methodical pace. it really doesn't matter how many different systems or structured ways of doing things people try to teach me. i always have to do it super fast chaotic style. it doesn't bother me a bit and i just think people need to realize that everyone has their own way of doing things.

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
This is probably one of the most interesting things I've learned about MBTI, that the whole "live up to the schools rules, you don't fit" thing just isn't appropriate.

Could you please elaborate?

v-in-tx

MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
i noticed this had been bumped.... i did post an update. thank you all for the additional advice. i will look into the books and the forums a bit more when i have an opportunity.

my update

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'd say that any attention disorder is a result of a really strong Se or Ne.
I find that really interesting, because I found it somewhat annoying that Keirsey associated only the SP temperament with AD(H)D..... and I know two adults who have ADD for sure, and they're both Ne dominant I am sure.
Sorry that this is off-topic, but do you think that there a differences in how AD(H)D shows in people with strong Ne versus people with strong Se?