123 Last

Thread: ADHD and ENFP

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Default ADHD and ENFP

hey there, i don't know where to post this... perhaps someone can direct me...

i am trying to find out more information on how my type and my adhd can "coexist".

i am looking for a more holistic, non-medicated route and would appreciate all the help i can get.

thanks!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I'd say that any attention disorder is a result of a really strong Se or Ne. In your case, since you are an ENFP, it'd be your Ne. It probably causes you to go from one stream of thought to another before you can even add a punctuation mark to the first stream. You think one thing and then within a split second you connect it something else that stimulates your mind, and you allow yourself to go off on that mental tangent. I do this too, and I have a serious problem focusing as well.

You can probably counteract these occurances by developing your tertiary Te. Te will allow you to carry out feasible plans of action to achieve your goals. Ne gives you an idea and Te gives you the focus to carry it out. Ne can be great, but like all the functions, it can't healthily exist on its own.

MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm an ENFP and was actually diagnosed with ADHD as a child.

Im in college and dont take medications or anything. You just have to learn about yourself. You learn when you arent paying attention, or when you arent thinking and catch yourself!

It takes a lot of self reflection which a lot of ENFPs dont do enough.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

thanks this is actually quite helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I'd say that any attention disorder is a result of a really strong Se or Ne. In your case, since you are an ENFP, it'd be your Ne. It probably causes you to go from one stream of thought to another before you can even add a punctuation mark to the first stream. You think one thing and then within a split second you connect it something else that stimulates your mind, and you allow yourself to go off on that mental tangent. I do this too, and I have a serious problem focusing as well.

You can probably counteract these occurances by developing your tertiary Te. Te will allow you to carry out feasible plans of action to achieve your goals. Ne gives you an idea and Te gives you the focus to carry it out. Ne can be great, but like all the functions, it can't healthily exist on its own.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

funny... my husband would beg to differ on that last statement. he says i'm in my head too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Malkavia View Post
    I'm an ENFP and was actually diagnosed with ADHD as a child.

Im in college and dont take medications or anything. You just have to learn about yourself. You learn when you arent paying attention, or when you arent thinking and catch yourself!

It takes a lot of self reflection which a lot of ENFPs dont do enough.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

Quote Originally Posted by v-in-tx View Post
    funny... my husband would beg to differ on that last statement. he says i'm in my head too much.
    yeah i know one that is.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by v-in-tx View Post
    hey there, i don't know where to post this... perhaps someone can direct me...

i am trying to find out more information on how my type and my adhd can "coexist".

i am looking for a more holistic, non-medicated route and would appreciate all the help i can get.

thanks!
    Hope these help, I only recommend the Born To Explore site which I've used in my interactions with multiple children in the past. The others I just happened to find browsing Google just now.
    ADHD? Or is Your Child Actually Gifted? - Special Needs - Families.com
    Are Your Kids ADD, ADHD, or Intuitively/Psychically Gifted? - From Paranormal to Pretty Normal

The Natural Born Scientist
    The DSM IV Diagnostic Criteria: A Closer Look:
    As you will see, strong Extraverts may appear hyperactive/impulsive, while strong Intuitives and Perceivers may appear inattentive. I discovered my son and I are extremes in all three - a potent combination! For more information on MBTI temperament see
    "Most of the behavior problems Extraverted children have in school are the direct result of being confined to a chair, and required to work for an extended period of time on a paper-and-pencil activity in a room where silence must be maintained."
    "Left alone in a room,[Extraverts]become distracted, bored, or rambunctious as their energy drains away.They need other people around in order to keep their brains awake."
    "Extraverted children frequently interrupt others, unable to hold onto any thought or idea for any length of time without expressing it. When you interrupt an Extraverted child's words, you interfere with her thinking...Extraverted children do tend to think out loud, and they may simply say things to see how they sound. And in speaking before thinking, they may end up saying things that they don't mean or that are not true.
    This is also described as the child who likes to start things but doesn't finish them, or who bounces from toy to toy. Perceivers are defined, in part, by their preference for starting projects rather than finishing them.
    Note that nearly all children identified as ADD actually focus extremely well on anything they find interesting. The problem is usually that they do not find SCHOOL interesting.
    The Born To Explore site touches on adult issues as well, but talks a lot about natural temperamental differences and the diagnosis of "disorders".
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Too impatient to read the OP... am an ENFP and have been diagnosed with ADHD, but they dooooooooon't knoooooooow!!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

This is probably one of the most interesting things I've learned about MBTI, that the whole "live up to the schools rules, you don't fit" thing just isn't appropriate.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, I studied education when I first began college and it really opened my eyes to how whacked the school system is - that, plus, one of my favorite teachers from high school (AP English) quit teaching in public schools because she felt that the restrictions were just getting ridiculously tighter for what was acceptable and what was not.

MBTI helps with that, too, I agree Elaur.