• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] I don't think you NerFs actually want to find your "type"

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Like 90 percent of the "What's my type?" threads are started by NFs, or NerFs for short.

Thing is, you guys keep going on and on and on and on and on and analyzing and rehashing all this stuff to find your "true type," and you usually find it, but then you get restless and have to go searching again because if you are content with who you are then you no longer have anything to do.

This is the essence of the NF "search for self." And you play it out before our very eyes right here on this here very here message board. I want to hug you all. Yes, even the dudes. And tell you to relax, you don't need to worry about your "true type" or "true self." But I know that would be pointless. You are pre-destined to spin around in these circles for however long you are on this planet - or else become those guru dudes who sit with their legs folded for all eternity saying cryptic stuff to people who ask them questions.

At least, maybe, take a break from it. Even though I know you will go back to it, just, maybe, enjoy a milkshake or smell a flower (i know that's really cliche) but you know, something. Check in with some reality around you that is there to discover besides the neverending paradox in your head. Sometimes let some of that brain juice just seep out and hit the floor. I promise it will not kill cute squirrels.

Hopefully this does not sound like a lecture. I do not come from a position of superiority in any way. I have my own cycles and paradoxes, including the one that for some reason leads me to this website when it is not about anything that I actually like.

Hang in there, NerFs, I am on your side, even when you drive me crazy. I wish the best for you, and I hope when it's all said and done and you're riding that escalator to the sky, that you can finally find some peace.

Yes, even Victor.

love,

Jeffster. :wubbie:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like 90 percent of the "What's my type?" threads are started by NFs, or NerFs for short.

xNFPs. To be exact.

I don't know, I like being my type and I don't see myself ever questioning if I actually am my type. I also don't believe a type defines me as a person, so it could never be the essence of my true self (which I found a long time ago, in case you were wondering).

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
xNFPs. To be exact.

I don't know, I like being my type and I don't see myself ever questioning that I am my type. I also don't believe a type defines me as a person, so it could never be the essence of my true self (which I found a long time ago, in case you were wondering).

That's because being an INFJ is so freaking awesome. :newwink:

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I believe it's more of an NFP thing. I think they do it with other people, as well. My ENFP sister constantly changes her mind about what types she thinks everyone is. The other day she made the claim that my ESFJ mother was an ENFP... when before that it was an INFJ... and ENFJ... and ISFJ :doh: I guess it's just their Ne seeing all those possibilities :p

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I prefer "uNFs," but just because it's funner to say. :D

Your thread is made of lol and greatness. If you think nf's need an identity snuggie, you should head over to the type 4 thread! :eek:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
xNFPs. To be exact.

That's not exact. There's an x in it.

I don't know, I like being my type and I don't see myself ever questioning if I actually am my type. I also don't believe a type defines me as a person, so it could never be the essence of my true self (which I found a long time ago, in case you were wondering).

I was wondering. Thanks for clearing that up. I was sitting here, for many hours, forgoing food and beverages, just clamoring, CLAMORING to know if Lauren Ashlee..oops, sossy..er, sorry, Lauren Ashley..yes! I got it right...uh, what was I saying? Oh yeah, if Lauren Ashley had found her true self. Now, at last, I can finally sleep.

FTR I've never started such a thread during my two year run here.

LIAR! You just thought no one would check! And you NerFs have bad memories, so you think everyone else does! But I searched and searched and I found your whats my typee thread, and it's RIGHT HERE!

Haha! Busted! now wallow in your NerFy goodness! :headphne:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Thing is, you guys keep going on and on and on and on and on and analyzing and rehashing all this stuff to find your "true type," and you usually find it, but then you get restless and have to go searching again because if you are content with who you are then you no longer have anything to do.

This is the essence of the NF "search for self." And you play it out before our very eyes right here on this here very here message board. I want to hug you all. Yes, even the dudes. And tell you to relax, you don't need to worry about your "true type" or "true self." But I know that would be pointless. You are pre-destined to spin around in these circles for however long you are on this planet - or else become those guru dudes who sit with their legs folded for all eternity saying cryptic stuff to people who ask them questions.

At least, maybe, take a break from it. Even though I know you will go back to it, just, maybe, enjoy a milkshake or smell a flower (i know that's really cliche) but you know, something. Check in with some reality around you that is there to discover besides the neverending paradox in your head. Sometimes let some of that brain juice just seep out and hit the floor. I promise it will not kill cute squirrels.

Hopefully this does not sound like a lecture. I do not come from a position of superiority in any way. I have my own cycles and paradoxes, including the one that for some reason leads me to this website when it is not about anything that I actually like.

Hang in there, NerFs, I am on your side, even when you drive me crazy. I wish the best for you, and I hope when it's all said and done and you're riding that escalator to the sky, that you can finally find some peace.

Yes, even Victor.

love,

Jeffster. :wubbie:

Aww.

Y'know, this makes a lot of sense.
Though I've never doubted my type personally, I believe a lot of NFs generally spiral out into their own heads and get lost in all the possibilities, and have to question everything, and get mired in the details, and questioning the details, in this infinite internal quest. We search for truth and meaning, not just for the self, but for everything that exists, and anything that doesn't.. it's an endless loop, and, while it's great fun for the most part, we do tend to forget the here and now, perhaps moreso than other types.

I think we're apt to pride ourselves on being able to step away from the concrete and float freely about in our own abstract abyss, and see things from so many different angles... and hey, why not? It's funny though.. in all of our travels, with all of our 'sight,' concrete reality seems to remain in our peripheral view, or is a blindspot entirely.
So much for that sage, all-seeing crap. :dry:

Learning how to balance the vast space exploration in our own heads with living in the moment, allowing yourself to exist in and for that one endless now, is something I've been learning to do recently. It was a hard, messy crashlanding here on Earth, but I've never felt more at peace with uncertainty than I do now. Letting go of some of that restlessness, and allowing myself to feel the ground beneath my feet, has actually helped clear away a lot of debris obstructing my own path in life.

I can't always know where I'm headed specifically, but things are certainly a lot clearer in this singular moment. Here. Now. And it's a sense of lightness that I can't begin to articulate adequately. I'm not even sure the words exist.

I suggest NF-space cadets get out there and make friends with some SP terrestrials; they're a great little health supplement. :yes:

IT'S NerF
images

OR NUTHIN. :cheese:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I think making the longest what's my type thread ever is quite an achievement. I didn't know we had decided on NF or NFP yet :).

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This is too funny. Thanks for saying this, Jeffster. I just made a comment to someone about this the other day when I typed him as ENFP simply because he kept waffling. It appears that it is an NFP thing to do - to resist being tied down to a type, to feel so special as to transcend a type... Yeah, it almost always screams NFP "soul search" or "I feel and identify with everyone" to me, loud and clear.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey, identifying with others isn't all peaches and roses, ya know, it has its drawbacks :alttongue:

Jeffster, you're a sweety, and we love you for expressing your frustration in the nicest way possible :hug:

On a more serious note, I think it's coz we try to make 'logical' sense out of people. At least, I know I try that. When then some details don't fit, or data can be interpreted several ways, we're reluctant to close the door and decide, waiting for more clues and better insight to pop up. Also, it's soooo much harder to look at yourself in that way and stay unbiased (wishful thinking is a bitch). And in NFPs, Fi demands nothing but perfection.

As for me personally, I identify with xNFP the most. So don't hold your breath in waiting for me to decide. Fair warning. :coffee::alttongue:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Meh.

General statement directed at...

Never mind.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ya well said Jeff. This should be a general advice to every troubled mind, who comes here to seek out advice for themselves. Most probably finding your mbti type will not help one to change those troubles, but rather drag your further down.

*folds legs and sits back down in the corner*

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Wait, does this mean I'm not an NFP? Although I did argue back and forth about my type, it was just in yahoo with a friend. He basically said "you don't think you fit BECAUSE you are NF." I'm glad I took a professional test in college though, I might still be waffling if I hadn't found that.

I think oftentimes think what people start with before they "want" to be a type is what they are, unless they are really bad at typing, but that still gives an idea of type.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's not exact. There's an x in it.

I kind of knew you would say that... but that's as exact as it's going to get. INFPs probably started a few more threads/posts, but ENFPs are catching up.

I was wondering. Thanks for clearing that up. I was sitting here, for many hours, forgoing food and beverages, just clamoring, CLAMORING to know if Lauren Ashlee..oops, sossy..er, sorry, Lauren Ashley..yes! I got it right...uh, what was I saying? Oh yeah, if Lauren Ashley had found her true self. Now, at last, I can finally sleep.

Always glad to be of service. *Fe smiles*