• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NF] NF Comedians

Fecal McAngry

Doesn't anybody know any INFP around, or at least an INF_?
I know that entertainment isn't exactly made for introverts - but there has to be at least someone. Maybe a comedic writer?
Well, re: INFPs--we typically express our comedic sensibilities as comic actors and writers rather than as pure "comedians" (stand-up comics, etc.). For example...

INFP actor in comedic role: YouTube - Fasttimes at Ridgemont High Sean Penn You Dick scene
Same actor in non-comedic role: YouTube - Dead Man Walking - Execution

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've never seen Kaufman typed as anything else. He epitomises the ENFP mind let loose. What type would you think instead?

His humor methods were very adaptive/utilitarian, trying to get a rise out of people and not caring if people hated him for it. That doesn't seem very NF at all. I feel similarly about some of the other people listed in this thread. If Kaufman's antics were for experimenting with people's reactions, then I could see him being NT, if it was only for his own amusement and that of others who dig it, then I'm inclined to think SP.

Also, from what I've read about him, he didn't seem very extroverted at all, he had sudden bursts of energy but was not socially-energized at all, maybe energized by an audience when performing, but that's a whole different thing. He had a close circle of friends and didn't seem to make many new ones. Very few people seemed to know the "real Andy."

He was good at playing people for fools, he would make up stories about his childhood as he went along and have people believing he was telling the truth, but then family members or people who knew him would say none of it was true.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I did a search and found another thread on a forum that focused on type and comedians: Typing Comedians [Archive] - ENTP - The Inventors It lists quite a few types with thoughts.

INFP: Richard Pryor, David Chappelle, Woody Allen

This type is probably my favorite kind because I find them the most creative. ENTP comedians sound like myself expressing my own views on things (so to me, it's less entertaining), I can sense them trying to force their views on me (luckily I agree, so I love ENTP comedians as well). But the INFP raises comedy to an artform! The INFP comic is the most soulful comic. Similar to ENTP comics,they have a deep moral and social message. But unlike ENTPs, they tend to use more narrative in their humor. They tell stories, they give you an understanding and sympathy of the human condition, the overly analytical ENTPs don't. They are less antagonistic and exhibit far more vulnerability. They have less developed political or philosophical stances (in terms of logical expression); but they deeply care about those issues. There material is less ego driven. It's more affirming and accepting of others, even the stupid people (as the ENTPs describe them).

I thought that was interesting. (Not sure if those are correct typings however.) In my spare time, I've been working on a stand-up monologue. What I've found is that I tell stories to create situations that are humorous, and weave "jokes" into the story, rather than having a traditional setup/punchline delivery...

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
His humor methods were very adaptive/utilitarian, trying to get a rise out of people and not caring if people hated him for it. That doesn't seem very NF at all. I feel similarly about some of the other people listed in this thread. If Kaufman's antics were for experimenting with people's reactions, then I could see him being NT, if it was only for his own amusement and that of others who dig it, then I'm inclined to think SP.

Also, from what I've read about him, he didn't seem very extroverted at all, he had sudden bursts of energy but was not socially-energized at all, maybe energized by an audience when performing, but that's a whole different thing. He had a close circle of friends and didn't seem to make many new ones. Very few people seemed to know the "real Andy."

He was good at playing people for fools, he would make up stories about his childhood as he went along and have people believing he was telling the truth, but then family members or people who knew him would say none of it was true.

Hmm... I'm yet to see anything he did that worries me rather than cracks me up. Maybe there's another group of NFs who find it offensive ;).

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
George Carlin is ENTP personified! I should think Russell Brand is, too. ENTPs tend to be more analytical and insensitive, and less forgiving or sympathetic than ENFPs.

Sasha Baron Cohen strikes me as an INTP- as a general rule I find that people with personas, costumes or secret identities tend to be more of the introverted sort. Your thoughts?

I'm thinking Eddie Izzard and Dara O' Briain = ENFP?

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
MANY ENFPs! ENFPs are THE comedic NF type.

George Carlin - ENFP
Tracey Ullman - ENFP
The late, great Gildna Radner - ENFP (Gene Wilder is an INFJ, btw)
Eddie Murphy - ENFP
Sasha Baron Cohen - ENFP
Russell Brand - ENFP
Dana Carvey - ENFP
Mike Myers - ENFP
The late, great Bill Hicks - ENFP (and a fave): YouTube - Bill Hicks - JFK
And so on...

I think Stephen Colbert belongs on that list too.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've never seen Kaufman typed as anything else. He epitomises the ENFP mind let loose. What type would you think instead?

I've seen him typed as ISFp (Socionics). Seems about right to me for MBTI as well.

And Bill Cosby is ESFJ. I mean... what type do you think that someone who causes controversy over criticizing others' parenting and telling others what they "should do" is likely to be? ENFP or ESFJ? ;)

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I've seen him typed as ISFp (Socionics)... seems about right to me.

And Bill Cosby is ESFJ. I mean... what type do you think that someone who causes controversy over criticizing others' parentings and telling others what they "should do" is likely to be? ENFP or ESFJ? ;)

Believe it or not, when an ESFJ is not being portrayed as stereotypically overbearing, (especially when they're younger) I find that they are often mistyped as ENFP. But generally, SJs are not funny at all so therefore Bill Cosby is not an SJ.

Y'know the intuition is so powerful that it's like cognitive transubstantiation. You will have eternal life. :)

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Believe it or not, when an ESFJ is not being portrayed as stereotypically overbearing, (especially when they're younger) I find that they are often mistyped as ENFP. But generally, SJs are not funny at all so therefore Bill Cosby is not an SJ.

I was just thinking that. But I don't find it hard to believe he is an ESFJ at all. Don't underestimate the power of Fe->Ne, trying to lighten up the atmosphere and uplift spirits, coupled with Si sharp observations about life. "The Cosby Show," a show about the ups and downs and ins and outs of family life? Come on...this is one of those rare typings where I think it should be obvious to everyone.

Eddie Murphy is ESFJ too, I believe. Certainly not a P type, from what I've seen of him outside of his comedy.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Believe it or not, when an ESFJ is not being portrayed as stereotypically overbearing, (especially when they're younger) I find that they are often mistyped as ENFP.
True, I used to be caught between ESFJ and ENFP for my sister, because she showed a lot of Ne. She had to compete for attention, which might be why she relied on her tertiary more. She came out as quite a clear ESFJ on the Humanmetrics test though and she's developed her Si by now. I don't know who Bill Crosby is, but my sister notices every little idiosyncrasy and habit in everyone, makes them funny and is a really good mimic.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
George Carlin is ENTP personified! I should think Russell Brand is, too. ENTPs tend to be more analytical and insensitive, and less forgiving or sympathetic than ENFPs.
What makes you think that of Russell Brand? Have you ever heard of an ENTP emo kid? He was probably the original emo and wouldn't be ashamed to admit it.

The media have vastly misrepresented his persona and attitudes I think. I've seen, read and listened to his work for years and I could sooner see Gordon Brown as an ESFP than I could see Brand as any kind of T. :D

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know what Bill Hicks was, but the "People Who Hate People" club doesn't sound ENFP to me.

Maybe he was one of those disillusioned ones?

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
What makes you think that of Russell Brand? Have you ever heard of an ENTP emo kid? He was probably the original emo and wouldn't be ashamed to admit it.

Actually, now that you mention it, I have to agree with you. I instinctively found his mannerisms and style of talking to be very xNxP-ish, and hadn't thought it through. NT arrogance on my part. Apologies for trying to steal one of your heroes, he's just too awesome to resist. ^_^"

KLessard

Aspiring Troens Ridder
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I know that entertainment isn't exactly made for introverts - but there has to be at least someone. Maybe a comedic writer?

Jerry Seinfeld is supposed to be INFJ.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

Of course there's someone, most likely several someones. We don't know any of these people's types, because we don't know them.

Even if we knew them, we could get it wrong ... just look at those threads about people being consistently mistyped by their friends.

Even if they took the test themselves, they could mistype ... look at the number of people who change their type every other week.

Celebrity type-guessing is sport.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Don't think that being a comedian automatically correlates Extroversion, because if you are doing that then you don't understand Introversion and Extroversion. It's usually more natural for Extroverts to be more comedian-like however..but they are not directly correlated.