User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default Songs that humanise the inhuman

I was going to post this under the INFP songs thread, but I don't know that it's an INFP thing. Might be an Fi, NF or Enneagram 4 thing, or just a me thing again. But if anyone has any songs like these to share, please do, because I eat them up, lol. I'm talking about songs that muse on and humanise villains, or reflect on or speculate on their thought process, more fully expose the senseless by forcing it to make some kind of sense. It can either make it sad from a new perspective or seem more obscene, or be startling in how relatable it's made.

Morrissey has quite a few of these, although the classic example for me is The Boomtown Rats' I Don't Like Mondays. There's The National Front Disco (about someone joining the racist British group The National Front, possibly a specific notorious nailbomber, and his loved ones' sense of confusion and loss) The Last of the Famous International Playboys (about a murderer wanting to impress his 'heroes') and The Youngest Was The Most Loved (another murderer song, my personal favourite) and The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get (a darkly humourous look at stalkers - I love how vivid the characterisation is). I think there are more by him I've forgotten.

It's just refreshing to be reflecting on those issues in a half intelligent way and to explore the human psyche and experience unrestrained by needing to do the predictable thing of explicitly condemning those actions and explicitly expressing sympathy. The sense of horror at the tragedy is conveyed implicitly by the ostensibly pointless, earnest attempts to see more deeply inside the minds of those involved from various angles. You can tell the event or concept has really had an effect on the songwriter and they're trying to break it down in their own way. Some people are offended by songs like these, but I find them enormously powerful and as I said, they make the crimes seem even more sad or obscene or baffling, or just more real; they don't glamourise them.

Is there a type correlation with really 'getting' this kind of thing? I suspect so. There's something quite Fi/NF about being fascinated by the mind of someone you can't understand. And the morbidity is quite 4ish. Either way, do add any others you think of.

I have an INTP friend who is immensely popular with the ladies. He always tells me that his secret to getting into so many girls' pants is in convincing them that he has a fascinating mind/personality/character just slightly beyond their comprehension. He intentionally allows himself to appear inhuman-on-the-outside/human-inside so that they feel an urge to "humanize" him, a process which often ends in energetic love-making.

:P

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    I have an INTP friend who is immensely popular with the ladies. He always tells me that his secret to getting into so many girls' pants is in convincing them that he has a fascinating mind/personality/character just slightly beyond their comprehension. He intentionally allows himself to appear inhuman-on-the-outside/human-inside so that they feel an urge to "humanize" him, a process which often ends in energetic love-making.

Yeah that works on me.

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Yeah that works on me.
    Your honesty is refreshing. -tips hat-

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Your honesty is refreshing. -tips hat-
    That may have come out wrong.

But carry on with the original purpose of the thread lol

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

That's a painfully accurate applied analysis of the typical female lover's psyche. Very nice.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

YouTube - Nine Inch Nails - The Good Soldier

(I'm not saying soldiers are inhumane)
    <3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yeah that works on me.
    Not me...I love men who are unabashedly warm, like ENFJs

----------

As for the OP, that seems an NFJ thing to do (Morrissey = INFJ). I think several Pulp songs do this in a way (Jarvis = ENFJ) - they often have a cad persona and/or obsessed voyeur feel.... "Babies" has a guy sleeping with the sister the of the girl likes, "Pink Glove" is about getting an ex to cheat on her current partner, "Underwear" is voyeuristic, etc.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Not me...I love men who are unabashedly warm, like ENFJs
    love is one thing; but are you immediately attracted to them?

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

That may have come out wrong.

But carry on with the original purpose of the thread lol
    Well, this is relevant. Women do seem to more often be intrigued by dark or damaged people. Maybe because they're more often Fs. In the extreme, there are women who fall in love with murderers after reading about them. I've never heard of men doing that, but there could be other reasons, like there not being as many famous female criminals, and them not tending to be physically attractive. However while fascination may lead to romantic attraction, usually it just stays at fascination, and it always does for me, thankfully.