• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFP] Songs that humanise the inhuman

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was going to post this under the INFP songs thread, but I don't know that it's an INFP thing. Might be an Fi, NF or Enneagram 4 thing, or just a me thing again. But if anyone has any songs like these to share, please do, because I eat them up, lol. I'm talking about songs that muse on and humanise villains, or reflect on or speculate on their thought process, more fully expose the senseless by forcing it to make some kind of sense. It can either make it sad from a new perspective or seem more obscene, or be startling in how relatable it's made.

Morrissey has quite a few of these, although the classic example for me is The Boomtown Rats' I Don't Like Mondays. There's The National Front Disco (about someone joining the racist British group The National Front, possibly a specific notorious nailbomber, and his loved ones' sense of confusion and loss) The Last of the Famous International Playboys (about a murderer wanting to impress his 'heroes') and The Youngest Was The Most Loved (another murderer song, my personal favourite) and The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get (a darkly humourous look at stalkers - I love how vivid the characterisation is). I think there are more by him I've forgotten.

It's just refreshing to be reflecting on those issues in a half intelligent way and to explore the human psyche and experience unrestrained by needing to do the predictable thing of explicitly condemning those actions and explicitly expressing sympathy. The sense of horror at the tragedy is conveyed implicitly by the ostensibly pointless, earnest attempts to see more deeply inside the minds of those involved from various angles. You can tell the event or concept has really had an effect on the songwriter and they're trying to break it down in their own way. Some people are offended by songs like these, but I find them enormously powerful and as I said, they make the crimes seem even more sad or obscene or baffling, or just more real; they don't glamourise them.

Is there a type correlation with really 'getting' this kind of thing? I suspect so. There's something quite Fi/NF about being fascinated by the mind of someone you can't understand. And the morbidity is quite 4ish. Either way, do add any others you think of. :)

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have an INTP friend who is immensely popular with the ladies. He always tells me that his secret to getting into so many girls' pants is in convincing them that he has a fascinating mind/personality/character just slightly beyond their comprehension. He intentionally allows himself to appear inhuman-on-the-outside/human-inside so that they feel an urge to "humanize" him, a process which often ends in energetic love-making.

:p

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have an INTP friend who is immensely popular with the ladies. He always tells me that his secret to getting into so many girls' pants is in convincing them that he has a fascinating mind/personality/character just slightly beyond their comprehension. He intentionally allows himself to appear inhuman-on-the-outside/human-inside so that they feel an urge to "humanize" him, a process which often ends in energetic love-making.

Yeah that works on me.

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

:rofl1:

That's a painfully accurate applied analysis of the typical female lover's psyche. Very nice.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah that works on me.

Not me...I love men who are unabashedly warm, like ENFJs :wubbie:

----------

As for the OP, that seems an NFJ thing to do (Morrissey = INFJ). I think several Pulp songs do this in a way (Jarvis = ENFJ) - they often have a cad persona and/or obsessed voyeur feel.... "Babies" has a guy sleeping with the sister the of the girl likes, "Pink Glove" is about getting an ex to cheat on her current partner, "Underwear" is voyeuristic, etc.

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That may have come out wrong.

But carry on with the original purpose of the thread lol
Well, this is relevant. Women do seem to more often be intrigued by dark or damaged people. Maybe because they're more often Fs. In the extreme, there are women who fall in love with murderers after reading about them. I've never heard of men doing that, but there could be other reasons, like there not being as many famous female criminals, and them not tending to be physically attractive. However while fascination may lead to romantic attraction, usually it just stays at fascination, and it always does for me, thankfully.

Zenihita

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

:D It would probably be quite possible for me not only to fall for that, but also not to regret it later. That guy is awesome :smile:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Well, this is relevant. Women do seem to more often be intrigued by dark or damaged people.

I'm not.

Maybe because they're more often Fs.

Closer.

I like unconventional people, people with unusual interests or talents, and people with a dark sense of humor, but all I think when I see someone who is quite visibly damaged or sincerely depraved is that they aren't ever coming within arm's length. I'm not interested in reforming anyone.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
love is one thing; but are you immediately attracted to them?

YES :yes:

I like them instantly, which is very unusual for me. I'm pretty indifferent/neutral towards most people at first.

visaisahero

MBTI Type
ENTP
YES :yes:

I like them instantly, which is very unusual for me. I'm pretty indifferent/neutral towards most people at first.

The world should have more of you. I have too many male friends who would make the perfect boyfriends/husbands if only women would actually give them a chance to begin with.

astroninja

MBTI Type
INTP
I was going to post this under the INFP songs thread, but I don't know that it's an INFP thing. Might be an Fi, NF or Enneagram 4 thing, or just a me thing again. But if anyone has any songs like these to share, please do, because I eat them up, lol. I'm talking about songs that muse on and humanise villains, or reflect on or speculate on their thought process, more fully expose the senseless by forcing it to make some kind of sense. It can either make it sad from a new perspective or seem more obscene, or be startling in how relatable it's made.

Morrissey has quite a few of these, although the classic example for me is The Boomtown Rats' I Don't Like Mondays. There's The National Front Disco (about someone joining the racist British group The National Front, possibly a specific notorious nailbomber, and his loved ones' sense of confusion and loss) The Last of the Famous International Playboys (about a murderer wanting to impress his 'heroes') and The Youngest Was The Most Loved (another murderer song, my personal favourite) and The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get (a darkly humourous look at stalkers - I love how vivid the characterisation is). I think there are more by him I've forgotten.

It's just refreshing to be reflecting on those issues in a half intelligent way and to explore the human psyche and experience unrestrained by needing to do the predictable thing of explicitly condemning those actions and explicitly expressing sympathy. The sense of horror at the tragedy is conveyed implicitly by the ostensibly pointless, earnest attempts to see more deeply inside the minds of those involved from various angles. You can tell the event or concept has really had an effect on the songwriter and they're trying to break it down in their own way. Some people are offended by songs like these, but I find them enormously powerful and as I said, they make the crimes seem even more sad or obscene or baffling, or just more real; they don't glamourise them.

Is there a type correlation with really 'getting' this kind of thing? I suspect so. There's something quite Fi/NF about being fascinated by the mind of someone you can't understand. And the morbidity is quite 4ish. Either way, do add any others you think of. :)

What a typical INFP thing to do -- are you an INFP? You can't be an INTP, not with your overtly deliberate attempts to explain how you... feel... about the artistry of certain songs.

Anyway, yes, onto the main topic. The song that best humanizes the inhuman would be the theme song for the telletubbies; they are not human, but that lovely jingle does make them seem a tad bit more lovable and human-like, no?

Also, Seasame Street's theme song does send happy vibrations through my soul. It makes me want to be a friend of Elmo, Oscar and Big Bird. But when you think about it, an abnormally enlarged Bird is really pretty freaking inhuman -- ghastly almost! Another success story! Hope that satisfies your need to humanize the inhuman. It works for me....? The tea party is ready.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
comp.rambler: Peter Gabriel might be too cheesy for you, but there are a few songs on melted face that sound like what you're describing in the op. Especially Family Snapshot.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Terribly effective:

[YOUTUBE="XuVxH95o9sY"]Tomorrow belongs to me[/YOUTUBE]