12 Last

MBTI
    NP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Working our way to nonentity?

The goal is to be well-rounded and everything, I get that.

But on the quest to become balanced and bring our N scores closer to the middle and make our F less extreme and etc., aren't we losing the defined talents that come with the extreme?

When I first took the official Myers Briggs, back when I hadn't even heard of it, I scored 100% N. I was sooo relieved to have a word for what made me zig when some others zagged. Ever since then, I've been trying to beat the N down so I could get on in a concrete world. I mean, N comes in handy for clever ideas and bizarre charm, but hell, it really can't help me find my way out of a paper bag, much less find my way on map. So I've been turning away from my preferences, trying to approximate the center.

Thing is, I feel like I'm averaging out to zero, being neither very adept at S things no matter HOW hard I try, and losing some N skills and outlooks in the process.

What say you, new friends?? CAN we achieve the center of the scales? Should we try, or should we focus on making our preference gifts even more pronounced? Is the middle of the continuum bland? Eeep!

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I think ones movement on a scale can less be seen as a concrete pointer that measures the exact position. Also I do think that changing oneself for philosophy you found on the internet, is a process that doesnt move linear, but rather slides the pointer to a new dimension, but then ricochets back to point one, cause the very process of change is constantly changing in oneself.

If you totally change yourself to live another ideal, it will leave you empty, cause you just claimed new land in which you are a total foreigner and therefore cant count on a blizzard of new perception. But if you keep an open mind, what you obviously have when being intrested in other peoples ways of seeing things, you have to find a base point for yourself from which you coordinate your operations.

With this point then you can take out the best of both worlds and grow to be an elightened person in the end. Changing between both worlds is not possible, it maybe in your mind, but your friends will now that it isnt you.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I scored 100% 'N' too...

But we all still use sensory input all the time. there is no other way to navigate through the physical world.

One thing I try to do is to just be where I am, right now. Really feel what I'm feeling, see the color of the sky. Hear the sound of the rain, or my footsteps. If I concentrate on what my senses are perceiving, I find that it enhases my intuition and relaxes me. So much of what we think is intuition is just an aspect of the monkey mind, swinging from branch to branch moving from one superficial thought/worry to the next.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Yeah I think the whole balance thing is overrated around here, what's the point of balanced preferences anyway? It's like becoming bisexual solely for the sake of balance.

There is nothing wrong with having preferences.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    It's like becoming bisexual solely for the sake of balance.

There is nothing wrong with having preferences.
    You mean I didn't have to ?!
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Boondocked, I really love this topic.

Interestingly, Jung also believed that as individuals, we strive to find balance as we get older.. Some psychologists may call it flatlining, because it takes away from the essence of who we truly are.. the fabric of our colour.

When I look at people who have strong preferences, it amazes me how they harness their gifts/talents. There's this "it" factor that's undeniable. Hands down- I admire that ability to be proud to be who you are, instead of conforming to external standards of living.

I think that we all have our own strengths/weaknesses that make us unique. I think it's beneficial to focus on what's working for us, and grow in that regard, instead of abandoning what truly makes us happy/functional.

In an ideal world, we would all be able to freely express who we are/work in unison with one another. Socialization is a tricky thing, and also I think it depends on the mentality of the society.. (on a micro/macro level, which effects our daily interactions in how we communicate with one another) -Some more accepting than others.

MBTI
    INFP

As much as I admire other types, especially the E and T types, I only have momentary lapses of insanity in that direction.

I LIKE who I am and every time I have tried to be something I wasn't, it always left me cold.
    I find your lack of feeling disturbing...

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Its important for T's to develop their F, and F's to develop their T.

Im developing my F with a cat avater, which is basically 90% of what being an INFP is all about.

Apart from that its pretty much all good.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

If you feel like you are becoming zero you are probably trying to develop S at the cost of being your natural N self. I don't think balance is about becoming bland and average. Making a weak function stronger doesn't make your natural strengths weaker. It just means you have more options to choose from so that you can deal with reality with more freedom rather than being forced always to do things the same way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

You want permission to do what you like or are you talking about whether you should learn about how people figure stuff objectively and even make use of it?

The former, no. The latter, yes.

I've found my ESFJ side very useful now I've got more control of it. I can time things accurately and organise myself effectively... when I can be bothered. I'm still an INTP but I've got less of the usual problems associated with an underdeveloped INTP and that's the goal of trying to up "the other side". It's not about quashing what you've got but adding to it.

Believe it or not, that riot in your head which feels like it's barely contained... it only gets more full...
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?