User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFx

Default Melancholia & Type

Hi, I'm new, but I hope you don't mind me just jumping right in and starting a new topic. I could go on and on about this, but I'll just be very brief for now:

Do NFs (or perhaps Feeling types in general) have more of a tendency towards melancholiness (not necessarily of the clinically depressed variety, though that too might count) than other types?

I have a sense that certain types of emotions or ways of expressing emotion is more acceptable in certain cultures and societies than in others. Is melancholia particularly unacceptable in our culture/society, even more so than, say, anger? This has been my experience. What do others think?

MBTI
    Infx

If it was unnacceptable than why has "emo" become such a mainstream thing? It's cool to be depressed nowadays! WTF?! Of course.. because of people beginning to blow things out of proportion and pretending to cut themselves and whatnot, perhaps it has started to be looked down upon.

I think that any F would be more prone to melancholy. NFs perhaps even moreso because they see bigger things to BE sad about, which effect them at a deeper level, some of which they can't even do anything about which spirals it even more.
    Forming characters! Whose? Our own or others? Both. And in that momentous fact lies the peril and responsibility of our existence. - Elihu Burritt

Member of the Maverick's Biker Club - Now crashing through walls instead of just..walking into them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I have some melancholic tendencies in the depressed sense, but I'm not terribly depressed all of the time... more towards neutral/balanced, actually.

That said, I usually test as a Melancholy-Phlegmatic type in the temperament sense.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Just from my observations, understand, but there does seem to be a few INTPs that seems to be pretty melancholic. Anybody agree? or maybe it's just teen angst, immature INTPs. Yeah, I think that's probably it.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    Just from my observations, understand, but there does seem to be a few INTPs that seems to be pretty melancholic. Anybody agree? or maybe it's just teen angst, immature INTPs. Yeah, I think that's probably it.
    Mmm, a little bit. A lot of this may be looking at them from the outside and seeing a reclusive, somewhat pessimistic person and assuming they're depressed, though.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmaiden14 View Post
    If it was unnacceptable than why has "emo" become such a mainstream thing?
    I think there's a huge difference between mainstream "emo", which is just an empty buzzword for people with strange haircuts, and genuinely melancholic & depressed people.
    Emotion has always been considered a weakness imho. And that's a shame.

By the way : welcome cloakofsnow. I personally think INFJ's & especially INFP's tend toward melancholy.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I have a lot of trouble with, eh, how do I put it -- being like stormy weather? Not to say I'm unpredictable, just... stormy. NFs I think tend to come off as being more "depressive" because we're so affected by everything around us. I know the pain of another, even a stranger, can go right through me like a knife and I have no way to stop it. When it's almost impossible to be objective (in the rational sense) one can be a bit wild at times. At least, I can be.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Oh, I have a tendency to be gloomy sometimes for reasons I can't really explain. I certainly don't get depressed exactly, but I'm not my normal self. I think it tends to happen (maybe in other NFs) when I lose my sense of meaning and purpose in what I'm doing in my life. I don't always need to know where I'm going as much as I need to know the reason I'm doing something (or not doing anything), and if it doesn't seem to serve any useful function in my life, I get very melancholic.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think everyone goes through "melancholy" periods. An F is (in my experience) far more likely to show it though, either to the general public or to friends. And when they do show it, it often has a different....flavour from that of a T. I doubt that F would correspond to pessimism--though maybe they would have more dramatic mood swings. Perhaps the reasons for becoming unhappy would vary from type to type, though I doubt it's a simple dichotomy between T and F.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wolfmaiden14 View Post
    If it was unnacceptable than why has "emo" become such a mainstream thing? It's cool to be depressed nowadays! WTF?! Of course.. because of people beginning to blow things out of proportion and pretending to cut themselves and whatnot, perhaps it has started to be looked down upon.

I think that any F would be more prone to melancholy. NFs perhaps even moreso because they see bigger things to BE sad about, which effect them at a deeper level, some of which they can't even do anything about which spirals it even more.
    hehe yeah.