First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    My issue is that I have expensive tastes.
    That's my issue too, and part of the stress in giving an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Like, if someones birthday is a week away and I need to think of something to get them, I can't for the life of me figure anything out. But...when I'm out and about, I'll make random gift discoveries. I'll see something, and think, "Oh, so-and-so would like this." Of course, I'd forget about it by the time a holiday rolled around. So I've learned to buy those things right away and save them 'til later.
    I shop much better this way, even for myself. I enjoy that kind of shopping better too.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

My partner handled these matters. All I had to do was handle gifts for her. I always gave her excellent gifts. This arrangement worked perfect for me for many years.

As for gifts for me, I'm touched when they are crafted, homemade or written. I don't want commercial stuff, I can buy my own. The best gifts my partner gave me were usually romantic activity related vs. a physical item.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IXXP
    Enneagram
    Id

My wants usually derive in gender questionable clothes or presently obsolete items --- both that my family doesn't want to give me usually. If i'm not specific, i'll receive clothes I won't ever wear. If I am specific, i'm not sure if i'll ever get what I desire.
    I used to not ask for anything, and my siblings and mothers said I was lying and just performing an act of self-pity. And it's true!

Some of the examples I asked for this year was a cane, a wand, a billy club, riding boots..
    Then again, those aren't too specific.. I want a fairy costume.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

This so funny. Sometimes its hard to believe there are actually other people out there like this. I'm hopeless to buy presents for. I drive my family crazy.

I'm difficult for several reasons. I never want anything. I'm just not a stuff person - having meaningless crap scattered about the place is not of interest to me. Secondly, if I do actually want something its usually expense, eg. a new laptop, a trip overseas. Also, I'm extremely picky. You have to be very careful what you buy me, even if it seems like something I would want, because if its not exactly right I'm going to be disappointed.

I've tried to make it easier in recent years by making a list of possible presents (despite my aversion to this). Usually its made up of books, CDs, DVD, and stupid things I need rather than want. For one Christmas I asked for an umbrella. This is because I lost my last umbrella (as per usual) and needed a new one. I was a poor student and resented paying as much as you have to for a non-crap umbrella ("$30?! Stuff that!" ) so I put it off and walked around in the rain getting wet. Not very exciting present but better than some bath stuff or whatever that I'm never going to use.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I shop year round for Christmas, as does my NF. If I hear them talk about something they want, I'll usually jot it down and get it as soon as I can. ENFJ man is great at finding deals, especially online so if it's a kid item, I let him know. He is fairly easy to buy for. Any bike/triathlon stuff that he doesn't have and occasionally tools. He likes gift cards but he won't give them to me as a gift. I don't know why this is, even though I have told him I love them.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    He likes gift cards but he won't give them to me as a gift. I don't know why this is, even though I have told him I love them.
    Because they are too impersonal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Because they are too impersonal.
    But I've told him a million times I like them. And he likes getting them. This makes no sense.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

He probably enjoys the challenge and process (where he thinks about you and what you like) of finding something more creative.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    But I've told him a million times I like them. And he likes getting them. This makes no sense.
    It's a quirk I suppose.

I would rather give something to my significant other that was personally chosen by me with much though. As opposed to just saying, she likes that store, let me get her a gift card, that way I don't have to think too much.

If it was me, I would do both the personalized gift, and a gift card.

Or...Meet her at the door. In nothing but some ribbon, and strategically placed bells. And make her find the card.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    It's a quirk I suppose.

I would rather give something to my significant other that was personally chosen by me with much though. As opposed to just saying, she likes that store, let me get her a gift card, that way I don't have to think too much.

If it was me, I would do both the personalized gift, and a gift card.

Or...Meet her at the door. In nothing but some ribbon, and strategically placed bells. And make her find the card.

Let's use Bath and Body Works as an example.

ENFJ man knows I like B&BW. Muchly.

ENFJ man does not like going into B&BW. Clearly you need to turn in your man card prior to entering although he knows there is one man shelf in the store. This falls under the same rules as - men don't use umbrellas and men don't use moisturizer, apparently. I'm just going by what I've been told here so I can't be held accoutable for wrong man rules.

ENFJ man will go online but is not quite sure what to get. Can go in our bathroom and familiarize himself with names and scents but doesn't want to get any "on him".

ENFJ man could send #1 daughter into the store but never does. I have no idea why he does not use all the ammo in the arsenal to help him accomplish tasks like this. The kids will do all the dirty work with little overhead.

ALLLLLL this ^^ could be avoided if he would just get a gift card which can be done online. Late at night. So no one will see you looking at the B&BW site, then clear history. And he would have a overjoyed wife.

If he wanted to stuff said gift card in his pants for me to find...that would have been welcomed too. If he stuffed said gift card into his pants for me to find while singing "I Want To Rock You Hard This Christmas" - I think I would weep like a gold medalist during the national anthem.