it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmac_46 View Post
    Most misanthropes are frustrated idealists.......that's part and parcel of being a misanthrope. Why would someone hate humanity if it wasn't disappointed with humanity not living up to their ideals? Misanthropy is an NF phenomenon.
    Good insight. The problem with misanthropy is it is ambiguous with self-hate. One cannot tell the difference when it comes down to it, although it seems in feeling to be very decisively one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtmac_46 View Post
    As the saying goes, life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.
    That can't be right, but explain what you mean?
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Techno cures anything

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKjx3J0Xyqk"].[/YOUTUBE]
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Biaxident View Post
    Those of us who survive to adulthood seem to develop some sort of coping mechanism. It could be a hard shell, or the ability to not give a damn what others think.
    Exactly. Some people actually see me as sort of mean and stubborn, because I never let them see how vulnerable I can be.
    So I'd say that the stereotype about feelers being all fuzzy, harmless and naive is quite wrong.

I never really considered myself a misanthrope, however my ESFx mum once called me one. And this is part of why I doubted if I was an NF at all for a long time, because I was thinking: there's no way you can call me idealistic if I dislike humanity so much.

But I've also noticed that when circumstances I'm in are favourable I can be in the I-love-people or there's-something-good-in-every-person stage almost all the time.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The funny thing is, I think to become a real misanthrope, you need to know some things about people, therefore there is nothing that speaks against the thing of you being NF.

And the other funny thing is, if you find someone who is as misanthrophic as you are, life even becomes fun. Not saying it is any different for you afterwards, but bearable..
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFP

My little bit of personal history is this;

Up until a few years ago, I would always mutter under my breath (and sometimes not mutter) "I hate people..."

After I had a person or two who I valued as friendly sorts tell me that they found that threatening, it caused me to re-evaluate.

It's not that I didn't feel that way. It just wasn't correct...it was an instinctive reaction to all the crap I see people do to each other day in and day out...I mean wtf.

Anyways...my revised thoughts on the matter are that I love and adore humanity as a whole...as a concept. It's the people that are part of it that I often want to strangle and hide the corpses.

I am continually amazed at the high points of humanity. When communities and nations...entire peoples come together. And then some asshat goes and kills 4 police officers drinking their morning coffee, or some piece of trash kills a family in a hit-and-run DUI.

Damnit...and people wonder why I stopped working in law enforcement...Grrr
    I find your lack of feeling disturbing...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

feeling like this more and more each day. But I'm too nice to shoot up a mall/school/church. I swear I just can't commit, man.

MBTI
    INfP

But I'm too nice to shoot up a mall/school/church.
    Thank God NFs are terrible at planning :p

Good insight. The problem with misanthropy is it is ambiguous with self-hate. One cannot tell the difference when it comes down to it, although it seems in feeling to be very decisively one or the other.
    Don't get annoyed at me for saying this, but I think they really are the same exact thing. One is simply the anger projected inwards and with the other, it is projected outwards onto the world.

If you really love yourself and are happy in yourself and what you are doing, I would say it is almost impossible to feel misanthropic. When you actually love yourself and who you are as a person, people can't hurt you the same. People can say mean and spiteful things, and you wont be hurt by them because you can see that a lot of that is just that person lashing out at someone because they aren't happy with themselves.

After all, the only person we really hurt with our misanthropy is ourselves. The anger and the frustration, the misanthrope is the one who carries it around with them.

It really is a choice at the end of the day. Hate the world or find a reason to love it. Which would you rather?

I would personally rather find a reason to love it. Even if it is something as simple as a good friend.

NOTE: Shamelessly stolen, misappropriated and plagiarized from the lovely Antireconciler.
    Last edited by chris09; 12-02-2009 at 12:57 AM.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by chris09 View Post
    Don't get annoyed at me for saying this, but I think they really are the same exact thing. One is simply the anger projected inwards and with the other, it is projected outwards onto the world.

If you really love yourself and are happy in yourself and what you are doing, I would say it is almost impossible to feel misanthropic. When you actually love yourself and who you are as a person, people can't hurt you the same. People can say mean and spiteful things, and you wont be hurt by them because you can see that a lot of that is just that person lashing out at someone because they aren't happy with themselves.

After all, the only person we really hurt with our misanthropy is ourselves. The anger and the frustration, the misanthrope is the one who carries it around with them.

It really is a choice at the end of the day. Hate the world or find a reason to love it. Which would you rather?

I would personally rather find a reason to love it. Even if it is something as simple as a good friend.
    Now I just can't resist admitting that I did get a little annoyed, even though I agree pretty much with everything you had to say. But what turned me off was the three last statements, cause they sounded a little preachy :yim_phbbbbt:
    I don't know if I see it as a matter of choice...

And my misanthropy is usually invoked not even by people who kill the innocent or something of the kind, not by individulals, but by realizing that there is an overwhelming amount of people that are stupid and callous and there's no way of changing them.

"Throughout history there have been delightful little blobs of collective hope. For a couple of years in the late sixties, no matter what was going on in the world, our generation happily assumed that with love and education we could change outdated social systems. One huge thing that we missed, 90% of the population is genetically imbued with sub mediocre reasoning skills. No matter how much you hug them or read to them, there’s no correcting stupid. Monterey – a celebration of youthful naivete." Grace Slick

I couldn't agree more.

it's a nuclear device antireconciler's Avatar
    MBTI
    Intj
    Enneagram
    5w4 so
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by chris09 View Post

How dare you state explicitly what I meant to imply.

All of this is well said.
    ~ a n t i r e c o n c i l e r
    What is death, dies.
    What is life, lives.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

where would all the angsty art and music go if everyone loved themselves? down the shitter! and angsty music and art are the best kinds damnit.