User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by chris09 View Post

The thing I'm curious about in this thread is that with all these NFP and their supposedly overly empathetic nature, I would have expected a bit more of a "Well, they are doing what they think is best, even if that is different to what I think would be best" type of attitude...?
    Hell, I do kind of think that way most of the time. Unless they interfere with my life, or are hurting someone else.

And I am not blind to, what seems to be many people's incredible stupidity, and lack of knowledge. Plus, the seeming indifference to gaining knowledge, of even the most basic information that doesn't immediately effect their beer and Jerry Springer intake.

Sometimes I just want to nuke 'em, and let the cockroaches give it a try.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Misanthropy seems to be the result of a world that doesn't match the INFP's inner ideals. It seems fairly common for the type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    The world isn't very INFP user-friendly. The misanthropism is probably just a natural reaction to this.
    Pretty much this. I feel a strange mix of caring and not caring. Sometimes the distrust is self-preservation, sometimes it's honest indifference, and sometimes it's a real distaste for and frustration with how people are.

For me, the only thing that makes sense is to try and help make sure my friends and those around me can also enjoy their brief turn at life. If at the end of my time here, even a single other person's life has been a bit easier and a bit happier thanks to me, I will die totally satisfied.
    Everything else I do is just me enjoying life and filling in the time between being useful to that end.
    Hmm...when I do nice things for people, it tends to be a way of fulfilling my vision of being a kind, caring person, not so much out of a feeling of caring. I like the idea of being a certain way more than I really like people. I almost do something because it's what I think I should do, and I get roped in by the empathetic feeling of "I would appreciate someone doing this for me". My real goals tend to be about me though - finding expression for myself.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INfP

Also worth a mention... I don't watch the news as it can make me misanthropic. Perhaps I've just managed to hide away from a lot of the bad stuff.
    Ignorance is bliss, you know? lol

Mud and rain and chaos... TickTock's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3

Also worth a mention... I don't watch the news as it can make me misanthropic. Perhaps I've just managed to hide away from a lot of the bad stuff.
    Ignorance is bliss, you know? lol
    Same. Last time I watched the news I was heavily reminded why I avoid it.
    ~ Truth ~ Freedom ~ Health ~ Love ~ Communication ~ Humor ~ Respect ~

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

^ Indeed. News focuses on the bad stuff because that's what provides the drama and ratings. Plus, news is owned by corporations that desire to push their own interests.

However, I find NPR to be a pretty solid, level headed source of news.

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

I have CNN as my home page. I usually glance at it quickly, and go somewhere else. Before all the crap can sink in.

Although, occasionally I see something of interest that isn't too dark.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w4

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Swordz View Post
    I thought we were supposed to be all empathetic and what not.

Why then do I have a streak of Misanthropy in my character?
    It's a neutral empathy.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Swordz View Post
    I thought we were supposed to be all empathetic and what not.

Why then do I have a streak of Misanthropy in my character?
    Most misanthropes are frustrated idealists.......that's part and parcel of being a misanthrope. Why would someone hate humanity if it wasn't disappointed with humanity not living up to their ideals? Misanthropy is an NF phenomenon.

As the saying goes, life is a comedy for those who think and a tragedy for those who feel.......that goes double for INFP's and INFJ's.

The reality is that ENTP's aren't misanthropes because everything to us is pure sarcastic comedy.......what's to be bitter and angry about? People don't disappoint me, because I expect people to be exactly what they are.......damn entertaining and I love them for it!
    No friend ever served me, and no enemy ever wronged me, whom I have not repaid in full." Lucius Cornelius Sulla

I'm more misanthropic than anybody I know around my age, except for my INTP friend.

I can see these tendencies in INFPs though, it usually manifests itself in a struggle between helping people and being utterly disappointed in them (perhaps because they don't fit in the ideals of the INFP?).
    One more thing: Fi identifies authenticity, and most people play games or roles, which may confuse or disappoint the openly caring NFPs. Methinks.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    One more thing: Fi identifies authenticity, and most people play games or roles, which may confuse or disappoint the openly caring NFPs. Methinks.
    Yep. Pretty much.

There's nothing else in the whole world that can make me hate people more than fake-ness and dishonesty. That's the number 1 thing that gets under my skin...