User Tag List

123 Last

Default ENFPs - mature slower?

Well I read somewhere that ENFPs tend to always look and act younger than their real age, and it can often make some problem, like in school... i'm not talking only about childish behavio(u)r, but about more "serious" stuff; like, for ex. I always felt 3-4 years younger than I'm... when I was 16 some of my friends were getting in more serious relationships - meaning, real love, intimacy blah blah.. it was all foreign to me, i had bf but i wasn't really at my age level. Same with when i was 19, then I figured out i'm like other girls at 16.. like wanting to attract boys out of real sexual desire, not play...
    and now when i'm 23, i feel i perfectly match people who are 19-20 in my maturity level.
    ex. some women at 23 already can imagine being mothers, i think it'll take 10 years till i get there... if i get there (not that i really care for now).

i think it often left me feeling inadequate, subconsciously at least.

so, ... can anyone relate to this?

edit: i must state it's only in some fields, not all...

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Are you the youngest in your family?
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

yes?
    but i wasnt "sweet daddy's and mommys little girl" -actually i was in situation that i needed to grown up much earlier than my friends.. so ..

I don't know if enfp mature more slowly. But if they do, then like good food and alcohol, slow maturing will lead to an exquisite taste. A full bodied aroma. Full of flavour.

MBTI
    INFJ

Hm, I suppose it would depend on when the situation arose that put you in a position such that you felt you needed to grow up.

I think ENFPs often exude a childlike enthusiasm, and perhaps feel and relate to being youthful, but I personally wouldn't say that we mature more slowly as a group.

There are so many factors that go into how quickly someone matures(what does that mean?). I was always labeled as quite mature for my age(according to the adults around me), not a good thing in and of itself, but I was an only child. Typical.

I also think it depends on what is meant by the word mature. We're never really "mature" in the ideal sense. Some people are more emotionally mature, others more fiscally, some more socially, others more intellectually. We've all got a lifetime of growing up to do.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    I also think it depends on what is meant by the word mature. We're never really "mature" in the ideal sense. Some people are more emotionally mature, others more fiscally, some more socially, others more intellectually. We've all got a lifetime of growing up to do.

Yeah, by immature i dont mean not being wise, deep.. more like what i wrote in OP...

MBTI
    INFJ

Same applies I would think. We all develop at our own pace for a multitude of reasons. There's nothing wrong with not being able to yet imagine yourself married with children at your age. Do you feel pressure from people to be moving forward with things you know you aren't ready for yet? What's the source of the feelings of inadequacy?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hmmm, I've never thought about this before, but now that I am I can totally see it. I think its an NFP thing, but more evident and pronounced in ENFP's, you know, that whole EP dynamic.

While it doesnt apply to all ENFP's, I truly think that in general ENFP's can often "coast" by in life, doing there spontaneous unplanned EP lifestyle thing, and while they may enjoy such "coasting", other people are developing/maturing/accomplishing more.

With that said, like ENFP[F?]er, I've always been called mature for my age.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

People tend to think I'm younger than I am all of the time, I mean IRL not just on-line

I also relate well to people who are younger than me as well as people my own age. I'm not as annoyed by high school kids as some people my age are.

I look at it as a positive thing. If I'm immature for my age, oh well. It's not like I have children who will suffer for it.

But in regards to the OP, no, I did not mature more slowly in terms of boys or dating or anything like that. I was about average.

P.S. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to have children. That does not make you inadequate. Some people choose to remain childfree for their entire lives. Having kids does not automatically make you a grown up.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

maybe it is the peter pan complex. ENFPs can just have a child-like essence about them.