• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INFJ] INFJ posers? Really?

weakshadeofblue

MBTI Type
INFJ
BlackCat said:
I find it very interesting that INFJs feel the need to constantly make threads about their own type. It couldn't be "People who have their self typing wrong," it has to be "INFJs who aren't INFJs." Tons of these threads made solely for INFJs could just as easily be made for every other type, and all of the INFJs could bombard that thread with entries about INFJs, and everyone would be included.

And I also don't understand why people strive to understand INFJs so much. It's not like you're really going to meet a lot of them, since they make up roughly 0.5% of the world. I don't understand why there aren't a lot of ESFJ or ESTP threads, since they are among the most common people out there. Shouldn't you be more concerned with understanding them?

It was just a question. I saw things like this mentioned around the board (not general mentions of mistyped people, but people specifically citing INFJs as being mistyped), and being new to the board myself, I wanted to ask about it.

Also, this -is- the NF forum. Hence, questions about INFJs, INFPs, ENFJs, ENFPs. :newwink:

I just see the potential for understanding all of the other 15 types, versus just one. That's why I get annoyed. And the silly ones are just pretty pointless, but people take them pretty seriously all the same it seems.

I understand your concern, and I have some questions about other types that I've been meaning to post. But obviously in this NF forum, you will likely find questions about INFJs. People ask questions about other types within their forum, and I've seen plenty of posts by ISTPs about their own type, as well as others (questions like "I do xxx. Do other XXXXs do this too?"). People want to see how much they share in common with others of their same type. It's very interesting.

I don't think it's not a phenomena exclusive to our type. Maybe there are more posts about INFJs by INFJs because sometimes we don't understand things about -ourselves- and enjoy hearing input from others sharing our type.

Also, I know for myself that I don't have any INFJ friends in real life, so the opportunity for me to talk to people that share the same basic ways of absorbing information and making decisions is really neat. I tend to feel pretty out of place with other friends, since I don't share a lot of their same interests and can't really talk about mine with them because they don't care. I spend a lot of time listening rather than talking with many (though not all) friends, and none of them are INFJs, so it's nice to get a chance to ask questions of others similar to myself. Refreshing to have an understanding ear. :yes:

I'll start a thread about mistyped people in general, if you want. Not sure which forum that goes in? Is there a generic, all-types forum?

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
there are many mis-typed infjs, but there is also much underlying variation in terms of enneagram types that effect overall infj expression. and, of course, developmental and cultural factors which obscure communication.

Ni, especially for infjs (vs intjs), is really fucking hazy and ambiguous. particularly in poorly developed writers, it can be difficult to see the overall complexity of Ni. and unchallenged Ni can appear very lazy, can fuse to specific values very tightly, and lose the ability to work multiple angles and synthesize complex scenes.

both infj and isfj have a vernacular kind of speech, at heart. Fe embodies voices. but infj will be far less concrete, will drift away from objects, and will be more more symbolic/metaphoric. when young, this is often not under conscious control/awareness and leads to a very undefined and vague way of thinking. but if you ask them questions, they can usually focus, or recognize where the communication process is breaking down. if you show them what YOU see, they will understand. Si types struggle more to change their way of looking at the situation. objects are simply objects, it is what it is. Ni deals with relationships between vague and indeterminate ideas which are holistic. intjs are more hierarchically organized around objectives, problematics, and utility, whereas Fe method for infjs is more wandering, aimless, localized, meandering, kind of like emerging from a fog that returns again to cloud one's vision.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if other mistypes themselves. We cannot judge who really holds particular type preferences because only the individual him or herself can make that assessment. People are also not just their psychological types, and the complexities that lie within all of us is a mystery in spite of our more perceptible similarities. In my day to day life, I don't like to go around typing everyone, and if someone claims to have specific mbti preferences, then I won't try to retype them either if they don't fit my understanding of their type. What you see on the surface is not always the whole truth--particularly with INFJs.

infjs are J types. we want things to move in specific directions. we do NOT tolerate misinformation and false endorsements. if something is polluting the airwaves, we want to clean it up. this is one reason why we clash with P types and get really fucking judgy sometimes, and issue frequent critiques and self-critiques.

also, i do not look at the surface, nor claim truth. nor do i not look at the surface. this dichotomy is useless and in the way. there are many more relevant critiques involving re-typing some one else, regardless of whether you know them or not. the world is made up of critiques. also, i enjoy your screen-name immensely.

I find it very interesting that INFJs feel the need to constantly make threads about their own type. It couldn't be "People who have their self typing wrong," it has to be "INFJs who aren't INFJs." Tons of these threads made solely for INFJs could just as easily be made for every other type, and all of the INFJs could bombard that thread with entries about INFJs, and everyone would be included.

And I also don't understand why people strive to understand INFJs so much. It's not like you're really going to meet a lot of them, since they make up roughly 0.5% of the world. I don't understand why there aren't a lot of ESFJ or ESTP threads, since they are among the most common people out there. Shouldn't you be more concerned with understanding them?

well for one, all e4s and e5s want to understand themselves. threads about e4 and e5 types being the predominant discussion are NOT surprising.

also, we like specificity. i don't want to talk about all types at once. the quality of discussion is rarely good and the focus is not there. it is unhelpful. we are J types (Pi) and we want to get into the nuts and bolts. we want structured discussion moving towards a specific ends. and we have more to talk about with other infjs (and other N types, generally). we usually have far more in common and far more ideas to communicate with other iNtuitives, especially in a form that is strictly writing such as this one. this is rarely isfp terrain, that you know your typology so well makes you an exception in that case (and a large part of why you thought you were infp for so long).

people like spending time with others who recognize them, understand them, and bring out their best form of expression they can muster.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
infjs are J types. we want things to move in specific directions. we do NOT tolerate misinformation and false endorsements. if something is polluting the airwaves, we want to clean it up. this is one reason why we clash with P types and get really fucking judgy sometimes, and issue frequent critiques and self-critiques.

I don't do this at all.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I don't do this at all.

I didn't read what you were answering to but hey, I SO saw you pose as an enfj!:devil:

infj pose btw ? how ? I mean sure, they're totally bragging about being our friends but that's just pride and that cherry skin tone that comes with happiness and fullfilment.

key, out for cigar time : P

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Many of the threads about INFJs aren't even made by INFJs. They are mainly made by others trying to understand the type.

infjs are J types. we want things to move in specific directions. we do NOT tolerate misinformation and false endorsements. if something is polluting the airwaves, we want to clean it up.
True. That is my only issue with mistyping. This is a forum catered to learning about the different types, and when you have people claiming to be a type that aren't actually of that type, that is confusing and misinforming. If someone starts a thread asking about their girlfriend/mother/friend who is an INTP, regarding something that pertains specifically to that type, and most of those responding to the thread are INTJs, ENTPs, and ISTPs, that isn't helpful... at best.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So, browsing around certain threads in this forum, I've seen the mention of "mistyped INFJs" or "fake INFJs" more than once. It seems like word on the streets is that lots of INFJs aren't -actually- INFJs, but possibly just were unable to objectively type themselves (do I have that right?). Or something.
Yea? Seems then that you are only noticing anything that has anything to do with your type. Not to be mean here but I've seen a lot of "fake INTJs", "fake INTPs", "fake INFPs" and "fake ENTJs" here. It's common around many personality types. And so far, I haven't yet seen anyone accusing someone of not being an INFJ. Perhaps you're just being paranoid.

You could have asked the questions without this reason because it goes the same for other types.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't do this at all.

my first guess is that it is bc you are a 4w3 and i am a 5w4? my entp 4w3 friend is more live and let live, but i think he still hates stupid people. but he's nicer and more charming and more skillful and more funny about it.

as a 5, i do care first and foremost about the sanctity of knowledge, good clean thinking, etc.

perhaps the chart-the-courseness varies with enneagram and other factors. the perceived Jness. 3 might have a more get-things-going under current than 5 which integrates to 8.

True. That is my only issue with mistyping. This is a forum catered to learning about the different types, and when you have people claiming to be a type that aren't actually of that type, that is confusing and misinforming. If someone starts a thread asking about their girlfriend/mother/friend who is an INTP, regarding something that pertains specifically to that type, and most of those responding to the thread are INTJs, ENTPs, and ISTPs, that isn't helpful... at best.

agreed. it gets in the way of the group. altho i'm not sure if it is in anyone's best interest to imagine they are something other than what they are. accurate self-image seems like a very useful skill to be distributed amongst any community. how else can a person recognize potential, skill to develop, best fit, etc?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
why the fuck do you care so much? I mean really. I don't find it my business if someone on the forum is mistyped or not, I'm probably never gonna be friends with them in real life, and the fact is it doesn't change who I am.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
why the fuck do you care so much? I mean really. I don't find it my business if someone on the forum is mistyped or not, I'm probably never gonna be friends with them in real life, and the fact is it doesn't change who I am.

probably because it's an MBTI site, just a wild stab in the dark there :coffee:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yes I realize this, I'm not an idiot, and I do not appreciate you infering such a thing.But what I'm saying is, that you or me can't change anyone's mind unless they are willing to have it changed. So why get upset over it? I just don't get it.

PoprocksAndCoke

A Benign Tumor
MBTI Type
ENTP
my first guess is that it is bc you are a 4w3 and i am a 5w4? my entp 4w3 friend is more live and let live, but i think he still hates stupid people. but he's nicer and more charming and more skillful and more funny about it.

as a 5, i do care first and foremost about the sanctity of knowledge, good clean thinking, etc.

perhaps the chart-the-courseness varies with enneagram and other factors. the perceived Jness. 3 might have a more get-things-going under current than 5 which integrates to 8.

Probably.

I get frustrated and annoyed with stupid people, but my mother was so hypercritical of every aspect of my life (she yelled at me for not being social enough, for being random, for asking "why", etc.) that I can't usually criticize other people without feeling like I'm acting like her.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes I realize this, I'm not an idiot, and I do not appreciate you infering such a thing.But what I'm saying is, that you or me can't change anyone's mind unless they are willing to have it changed. So why get upset over it? I just don't get it.

(calmer than you are)

you relate everything to your personal values, and when others breach them, you get upset. we do this with our ideas.

with that said, you seem to be more reactive currently than i am. i know how this breach effects my mental objectives. i enjoy discourse and the process of clarifying ideas, yet i hate when the discourse must take a step back to encompass that which has been already solved. it makes me impatient and frustrated.

do you understand why this breach- here- (of your values) seems to negatively affect your value system? why you can't step over it and encompass/absorb it, accept it, and move on? what is negative about wanting mental accuracy, what threat does that pose to you? that you must sort our your feelings internally, and outside ideas, mental influence, feedback from others gets in the way of you figuring out who you are? or too easily dominates you and prevents you from expressing yourself as you want to express yourself?

you find the whole idea of this thread irrational, but that is bc you have different motivations and different thought processes than some of us do. yet you become enflamed for reasons that are very similar to ours (purposes that do not mesh with yours).

i still struggle to see the infp sense of openness, what they are trying to accomplish/protect when they do flare up with judgment. in what way it protects the integrity of their values, and what those values come to understand, put forth, without an objective, a creative act, etc.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I once read in a book "The day you start patronizing people, you are the one who has come too far"

Or like my professor phrases it: "If you cant explain a concept to a stranger of the theory, your concept is most probably wrong"

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
well for one, all e4s and e5s want to understand themselves. threads about e4 and e5 types being the predominant discussion are NOT surprising.

Ah... That makes sense. And as a 9, I have a distorted sense of self, so I don't have any desire to understand myself; or at least not as much as a 4 or a 5. As a 9 I would have a heightened need to understand others since that's one of our main priorities: other people.

also, we like specificity. i don't want to talk about all types at once. the quality of discussion is rarely good and the focus is not there. it is unhelpful. we are J types (Pi) and we want to get into the nuts and bolts. we want structured discussion moving towards a specific ends. and we have more to talk about with other infjs (and other N types, generally). we usually have far more in common and far more ideas to communicate with other iNtuitives, especially in a form that is strictly writing such as this one. this is rarely isfp terrain, that you know your typology so well makes you an exception in that case (and a large part of why you thought you were infp for so long).

Bolded- I notice that with Js a lot actually. Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't think of it that way.

And for the rest of it, I do notice that divide. Half the stuff that Ns seem to talk about on here disinterests me. I'm more interested in gathering more facts that apply to the types, rather than theory. I mostly talk on here to observe people's reactions to certain things, and see if it lines up with the type (the w8 helps here a lot). That's probably why I don't have a lot of patience with a lot of the stuff on here, that I perceive as "crap" or "useless," and when I see that I lose patience. And yet, I still want to discuss it. Makes me wish there were more sensors here.

And that is a big factor as to why I thought I was N. :thelook: You understand me far too well, one of the few people on here that does.

people like spending time with others who recognize them, understand them, and bring out their best form of expression they can muster.

That's true as well. :) I suppose it helps for you INFJs to be around other INFJs in discussing something specific, since it makes a chain reaction in understanding the topic at hand. Throw in a couple of ENTPs and ISTPs, and there you go. I guess it could work differently for sensors, since I am usually just discussing facts or gathering facts, and I don't usually formulate theories. When I do put something down theoretical, it's usually just an observation.

I think I get it now...

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's in the nature of Ni to see things from multiple viewpoints, this could be in anything. A dispute, a way to tackle an issue at a job, etc. On here I've seen some INFJs (not really INTJs surprisingly) that are probably ISFJs, because of this lack of viewing things from other viewpoints when in disputes. That's where it shows through the most for me. Or you will have these people who are obviously an ISFJ (with their tag INFJ) or an ESFJ (tagged ENFJ) just because they are interested in this theory, they are "imaginative," and are capable of making intuitive leaps, and they think that that's what it means to be N.

I haven't really got anything for you for things that *aren't* INFJ characteristics, that's a bit broad for me to answer. :)

I can see this, but the question is: HOW DO YOU KNOW??? I mean really? How do you know you are ENFP or ESFP or INFJ or ISFJ or ESFJ or ENFJ and stuff? It's so hard to objectively type yourself, and other people don't see the whole you either, so how do you really know? Will we ever really know?

Or is it kind of like that Tootsie Roll Pop commercial where the guy goes up to the owl and says, "Excuse me, Mr. Owl, but how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll part of a tootsie roll pop?" And he says, "Well let's try it out, shall we?" Licks. "One," licks, "Two," licks, "Three," bites, "Three." Then voice-over...."How many licks DOES it take? The world may never know."

And that's what type is like. For me anyway. Lick, lick, lick, bite...okay, there we go. Take your best shot.

EDIT: By the way, for those who have no idea what the hell I mean, here you go.

[YOUTUBE="Jhjb4P_jnKk"].[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah... That makes sense. And as a 9, I have a distorted sense of self, so I don't have any desire to understand myself; or at least not as much as a 4 or a 5. As a 9 I would have a heightened need to understand others since that's one of our main priorities: other people.

i think the idea is that you focus more on how you relate to others. this is why 9 so often looks like Fe and is so nice, loving, easy-going, etc. 9w8 and 9w1 have slight differences in this, 9w8 wants to use this information practically (very Te), 9w1 wants to use it to envision a new lifestyle (and why i think infp 9w1 is way more common vs isfp 9w8).

i have no idea where i draw the line, i just say things until they get corrected. we are all, ultimately, empiricists in some form or fashion, and the facts are tricky business.

And for the rest of it, I do notice that divide. Half the stuff that Ns seem to talk about on here disinterests me. I'm more interested in gathering more facts that apply to the types, rather than theory. I mostly talk on here to observe people's reactions to certain things, and see if it lines up with the type (the w8 helps here a lot). That's probably why I don't have a lot of patience with a lot of the stuff on here, that I perceive as "crap" or "useless," and when I see that I lose patience. And yet, I still want to discuss it. Makes me wish there were more sensors here.

certain scales of information are more relevant to Ns or more relevant to S types. this is why N types can, at times, gloss over key details, read into directions that are not there, pick the wrong question to answer, and divorce themselves far too much from the concrete text. they just make shit up, some times, when they project patterns that aren't there (or might be a little too obscure for social relevancy). which is situational...

in short, they seem to skip steps because they are distancing themselves, they are changing their gear differential, they are zooming out or zooming in, etc. this is what imaginative perception does, it re-frames by creating different scales/lenses.

That's true as well. :) I suppose it helps for you INFJs to be around other INFJs in discussing something specific, since it makes a chain reaction in understanding the topic at hand. Throw in a couple of ENTPs and ISTPs, and there you go. I guess it could work differently for sensors, since I am usually just discussing facts or gathering facts, and I don't usually formulate theories. When I do put something down theoretical, it's usually just an observation.

the theorizing is just a product of wanting to find the perfect map for a problem. we want to abstract until we focus the lens to see the most resolute image we can see. what gets at the most RELEVANT details to our current project or mission, what allows us to see our own big picture, our own future projection, our own sense of what is to happen. it is based on how things move, unfold, change, adapt, etc. it is a way of seeing different levels of organization across the vast interlocking system(s) of the universe, or whatever we care to understand. it is rooted in the connections between objects rather than the objects themselves, and we use all our cultural systems of understanding to get at the way these take shape, move, create purpose, interact, etc even when they are difficult to grasp/see/recognize/follow/predict.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Gay-love.jpg

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I once saw a terribly written post by an INFJ. My first thought was that the person has got to be mistyped. I think this is the only time I've questioned someone being an INFJ.

Actually, here's a rule of thumb: If there's even a single typo in an INFJ's post, s/he's not an INFJ at all! :devil:
No pressure guys! :hug:

I know this is a joke, but I know one INFJ who makes spelling errors a lot. We went to college together, and I just recently realized she is INFJ. Her grammar was never her strong suit.

Other types can be grammar Nazis also. My ISFJ mother types very formal and proper emails with perfect spelling. I'm not that uptight and I'm prone to typos, but I really dislike very lazy grammar and basic homophone errors (ie. "your" when it should be "you're"). So I don't even think it comes down to P vs. J for that issue.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
Same applies for the INFP. I must admit that I don't know a single person I would call an INFJ, but then again, I probably wouldn't recognize it if I saw one IRL :D

Wouldn't INFPs see a bunch of different paths (Ne)? True to themselves, yes, but never with a clear vision of where they're ending up! In fact I'd say my INFP friends are sometimes most likely to say "I don't know!!!!!" when asked what they'll be doing at any given stage of their lives.