User Tag List

First 1234 Last

can't handcuff the wind Z Buck McFate's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by weakshadeofblue View Post
    I know for myself that I am very capable of seeing things from a lot of sides. But for me, it's the stress of conflict that (sometimes) makes me go "tunnel visioned." I become jarred by the conflict itself that I just zoom into that one viewpoint.

After I cool off and it's all over, I realize the multiple viewpoints, etc. and usually feel really bad.
    This is very much like something Iíve noticed about myself. I am excellent at dissecting conflict and seeing it from several different angle unless I am directly involved in that conflict. When Iím directly involved, I have an extraordinarily difficult time shedding the perspective I had when the conflict started.

I avoid getting into conflict- myself- like the plague because of this. Yet I don't avoid conflict at all if it doesn't involve me. Iím too eager to jump in, trying to help resolve conflict going on around me.

Quote Originally Posted by weakshadeofblue View Post
    Part of the reason I ask is because a girl I know typed herself as an INFJ via the Facebook MyType application. In some ways it makes sense... but I REALLY thought she was more of an ISFJ. She doesn't seem open like most INFJs (not to say that ISFJs aren't open - no offense to ISFJs), and seems very tunnel-visioned as far as the world goes. But I could be wrong.
    There have definitely been a few times when someone I know claims to be INFJ, and a series of silent alarms go off in my head because I have a hard time digesting it. I know *logically* that it shouldnít bother me, for more reasons than I want to list, yet I canít quite let it go the way I feel I *should* be able to.

Example: one friend Iíve had for close to twenty years claims to be INFJ. Sheís got an explosive temper. She misunderstands things that I say constantly, taking things as personal criticism that actually have nothing to do with her. She acts and says things before thinking all the time. She has almost the worst tunnel vision of anyone Iíve ever been friends with. Sheís certainly the most judgmental. On the surface, she definitely doesnít appear INFJ.

Yet the more I learn about Ni, Iíve come to realize that many of the qualities I didnít consider ĎINFJ characteristicsí per se were very likely a result of a super sensitive Ni. I think my friend is just an example of what happens when Ni spins out of control, starts behaving like Cornholeo (from Beavis & Butthead) and stages a coup over the other functions.

Ultimately, I suspect that the first step is figuring out if I donít think the person is INFJ because I donít like certain aspects about the person and feel threatened by the notion he/she could be the same type as me. Iíve done this. It can definitely cloud judgment. There are a few people Iíve come across- a couple in real life- that just donít embody the qualities I typically associate with INFJ (a clear sense of empathy that I can relate to, the tendency to deconstruct conflict rather than systematically contribute to it, etc). Yet once I can turn the assessment into something I want to understand- rather than wanting to disprove- I can begin to spot how it might possibly be true.

Mostly I look for Ni. And it gets tricky, because it doesnít look exactly the same in everyone who is Ni dominant. The best Iíve come up with personally is that Ni tends to make most of the INFJs I know question, ďwhy?Ē about their own behavior/opinions and the behavior/opinions of others to the extent that itís actually often inconvenient for the people around them at one point or another. *hoping that last statement made sense*
    Reality is a collective hunch. -Lily Tomlin

5w4 sx/sp Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ

I once saw a terribly written post by an INFJ. My first thought was that the person has got to be mistyped. I think this is the only time I've questioned someone being an INFJ.

Actually, here's a rule of thumb: If there's even a single typo in an INFJ's post, s/he's not an INFJ at all!
    No pressure guys!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Z Buck McFate View Post
    This is very much like something Iíve noticed about myself. I am excellent at dissecting conflict and seeing it from several different angle unless I am directly involved in that conflict. When Iím directly involved, I have an extraordinarily difficult time shedding the perspective I had when the conflict started.

I avoid getting into conflict- myself- like the plague because of this. Yet I don't avoid conflict at all if it doesn't involve me. Iím too eager to jump in, trying to help resolve conflict going on around me.

There have definitely been a few times when someone I know claims to be INFJ, and a series of silent alarms go off in my head because I have a hard time digesting it. I know *logically* that it shouldnít bother me, for more reasons than I want to list, yet I canít quite let it go the way I feel I *should* be able to.

Example: one friend Iíve had for close to twenty years claims to be INFJ. Sheís got an explosive temper. She misunderstands things that I say constantly, taking things as personal criticism that actually have nothing to do with her. She acts and says things before thinking all the time. She has almost the worst tunnel vision of anyone Iíve ever been friends with. Sheís certainly the most judgmental. On the surface, she definitely doesnít appear INFJ.

Yet the more I learn about Ni, Iíve come to realize that many of the qualities I didnít consider ĎINFJ characteristicsí per se were very likely a result of a super sensitive Ni. I think my friend is just an example of what happens when Ni spins out of control, starts behaving like Cornholeo (from Beavis & Butthead) and stages a coup over the other functions.

Ultimately, I suspect that the first step is figuring out if I donít think the person is INFJ because I donít like certain aspects about the person and feel threatened by the notion he/she could be the same type as me. Iíve done this. It can definitely cloud judgment. There are a few people Iíve come across- a couple in real life- that just donít embody the qualities I typically associate with INFJ (a clear sense of empathy that I can relate to, the tendency to deconstruct conflict rather than systematically contribute to it, etc). Yet once I can turn the assessment into something I want to understand- rather than wanting to disprove- I can begin to spot how it might possibly be true.

Mostly I look for Ni. And it gets tricky, because it doesnít look exactly the same in everyone who is Ni dominant. The best Iíve come up with personally is that Ni tends to make most of the INFJs I know question, ďwhy?Ē about their own behavior/opinions and the behavior/opinions of others to the extent that itís actually often inconvenient for the people around them at one point or another. *hoping that last statement made sense*
    You just made me maybe twenty times more sure of my type.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I find it very interesting that INFJs feel the need to constantly make threads about their own type. It couldn't be "People who have their self typing wrong," it has to be "INFJs who aren't INFJs." Tons of these threads made solely for INFJs could just as easily be made for every other type, and all of the INFJs could bombard that thread with entries about INFJs, and everyone would be included.

And I also don't understand why people strive to understand INFJs so much. It's not like you're really going to meet a lot of them, since they make up roughly 0.5% of the world. I don't understand why there aren't a lot of ESFJ or ESTP threads, since they are among the most common people out there. Shouldn't you be more concerned with understanding them?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

^I, for one, do not feel any need to make any thread about my own type. People from all types do this. It's not an INFJ trait at all. Have you seen:

You Know You're An XXXX When

I could say that I find it interesting that ISFPs stereotype. That's a generalization. It's implying all ISFPs do the same thing as one member of TypoC. People from all types stereotype.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by PoprocksAndCoke View Post
    ^I, for one, do not feel any need to make any thread about my own type. People from all types do this. It's not an INFJ trait at all. Have you seen:

You Know You're An XXXX When

I could say that I find it interesting that ISFPs stereotype. That's a generalization. It's implying all ISFPs do the same thing as one member of TypoC. People from all types stereotype.
    Have you seen the ridiculous amount of INFJ threads that are pretty pointless, or that could be easily a broad question for all of the types? You haven't been here for very long though, so I guess you wouldn't have seen them.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

MBTI
    fool

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    And I also don't understand why people strive to understand INFJs so much.
    Hm, well, why not? To me as long as it's not harming anyone it's pretty much whatever. There have been a lot of silly threads about infjs sure but I mean no one has to subscribe to them if they don't want to, if they find them irrelevant. I just don't see what the big deal is. There are a lot of silly threads about a lot of silly stuff but why bother be annoyed?

I think for many INFJs forums like these are just an opportunity to possibly relate to people similar to them, an experience they probably haven't had too often.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    Hm, well, why not? To me as long as it's not harming anyone it's pretty much whatever. There have been a lot of silly threads about infjs sure but I mean no one has to subscribe to them if they don't want to, if they find them irrelevant. I just don't see what the big deal is. There are a lot of silly threads about a lot of silly stuff but why bother be annoyed?

I think for many INFJs forums like these are just an opportunity to possibly relate to people similar to them, an experience they probably haven't had too often.
    I just see the potential for understanding all of the other 15 types, versus just one. That's why I get annoyed. And the silly ones are just pretty pointless, but people take them pretty seriously all the same it seems.

Eh. Just ignore my inflammatory tone. I just want people to make more threads about the types at large, versus just one.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I don't think questioning other people's types are limited to INFJ, although perhaps that is a popular current one to question. People have various criterion for determining other people's types. Some might base it on their belief's or communication style. There is a widely accepted idea that more abrasive communication styles are associated with being T especially if the idea takes precedence over the emotions of the other posters or other people affected by the "idea".

IMO MBTI does not entirely map to reality, but in as far as it does, it makes sense to expect that a chosen type would line up with the descriptions somewhat. I haven't ever challenged someone's type even if I'm not particularly convinced of it, because in the end people might as well just pick whichever they prefer to identify with. As far as what an INFJ is, there is a pretty wide range that includes some noticeable subcategories from what I've seen. The basic ideas I think of from what I've read is that they are abstract, future thinkers. They tend to be aware of the emotional climate of their environments and are described as being intuitive in responding to people, and at times rather private. They tend to focus on growth in themselves and others. They are also described as complex and have a rich inner world.

Some traits that seem unlike INFJs to me include a strong focus on external image and power that are tangible and concrete. Who knows, maybe some do that, but it does seem to be the opposite of the abstract style of thinking that focuses on Feeling concerns which are by nature more abstract than linear logic, instead requiring their own fuzzy logic. Edit: Also, the more extreme NF style of thinking that uses empathy tends to be able to see from inside a perspective different from their own experience. This can imply less reliance on personal experience for directly forming opinions about how the world works. The more literal linear style of interpreting posts and ideas also seems like a more non-NF type typically. There are of courses exceptions to every nuance of these sorts of things.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    fool

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I just see the potential for understanding all of the other 15 types, versus just one. That's why I get annoyed. And the silly ones are just pretty pointless, but people take them pretty seriously all the same it seems.

Eh. Just ignore my inflammatory tone. I just want people to make more threads about the types at large, versus just one.
    Well, I think that's a good point and would also be refreshing.