User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I have real issues making phone calls. It makes me awfully nervous all the time, both making and receiving calls (I don't pick up the phone when I don't see the number).
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Advice:

Turn your quietness to a sort of 'cool, detached' aura.

Care less about how other people perceive you, unless it is truly important for the sake of your career.

Learn some polite, formal interactions abilities, but no need to make casual friends, like the esfxs. That sort of thing really drains my energy.

Stop feeling bad that you don't want to contribute to dumb conversations. Don't waste your infp saliva, please. :steam:

I feel that friendships should be sacred and develop very naturally, and if not, there is no need for such pretense of .

Don't you all try to stifle INFP-ness. I feel that INFPs are extremely apologetic for their personalities whereas the other types, the hyper emotionals, the hyper irrationals, the robots, the steamrollers NEVER apologize.

Don't apologize.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Stop feeling bad that you don't want to contribute to dumb conversations. Don't waste your infp saliva, please. :steam:
    Stick with ole Archidamidas: "He who knows how to speak knows also when to speak."

Learn some polite, formal interactions abilities, but no need to make casual friends, like the esfxs. That sort of thing really drains my energy.
    Same here; though you can't tell in advance whether it's going to stay superficial or develop into something more deeper (or did you mean not making friendships with people who are casual themselves?).
    The curious thing is, the more I like a person, the more I can get tongue-tied (applies mostly to love interests ).

Edit: (No wonder the thread I started a few days ago doesn't get any more replies as it's already buried on the second page (though the focus is probably a bit broader. Out of sight, out of mind )
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

The moment an INFP is able to adjust to the character of an ESFx, every other archetype is easy to adjust to. You can't put ESFx's out of the equation.

Seriously, INFPs need to make casual friends. They tend to get very very deep, even deeper than INTPs and ENTPs. I'm ENTP myself, and I still need to lighten up. INFPs need to get even more light.

I have an INFP friend. Close friend. She's probably comfortable that she has an ENTP friend handy. The two types are very complementary. Though we don't really go out a lot these days. Though it's good that close ties like the one we have is present, there should still be room for 'network expansion' as cynical or trivial as it may appear. For one, you'll never know the longevity of the ties to your close friends that you keep.

I've been hassled for my laconic nature. I think that people feel I am sussing them out quietly while saying little. Which of course, I am.

I think it's funny.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    I have real issues making phone calls. It makes me awfully nervous all the time, both making and receiving calls (I don't pick up the phone when I don't see the number).
    I do that sometimes because I just don't feel like talking.
    Other times, I don't know when to quite.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    I used to have this issue....actually, it's still an issue sometimes. It helped when I had a job that forced me to call clients. That's all I can really say about it....other than "I understand".

Don't you all try to stifle INFP-ness. I feel that INFPs are extremely apologetic for their personalities whereas the other types, the hyper emotionals, the hyper irrationals, the robots, the steamrollers NEVER apologize.

Don't apologize.
    Absolutely! We're often the one making excuses for other people. Overlooking how loud and intrusive they are, how blunt and insensitive, how unimaginative and dull, etc. If INFPs are stifled, it's because they believe the people telling them they are defective and they don't embrace their strengths enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    The moment an INFP is able to adjust to the character of an ESFx, every other archetype is easy to adjust to. You can't put ESFx's out of the equation.

Seriously, INFPs need to make casual friends. They tend to get very very deep, even deeper than INTPs and ENTPs. I'm ENTP myself, and I still need to lighten up. INFPs need to get even more light.

I have an INFP friend. Close friend. She's probably comfortable that she has an ENTP friend handy. The two types are very complementary. Though we don't really go out a lot these days. Though it's good that close ties like the one we have is present, there should still be room for 'network expansion' as cynical or trivial as it may appear. For one, you'll never know the longevity of the ties to your close friends that you keep.
    I took it to mean an INFP does not need to go about making casual friends in the same manner an ESFX does, not that an INFP should not befriend ESFXs. I get along fine with many ESFXs, but that doesn't mean I should mimic them with the aim of forming shallow relationships if that's not even something I want.

"Network expansion" has its value, but I think a lot of introverts are not interested in forming a lot of shallow friendships, and so they would rather spend their limited energy on cultivating deeper relationships. There's nothing wrong with that. It doesn't mean a person has to shun all casual acquaintances or never engage in small talk. I'm sure INFPs already compromise much, much, much more in conversation that many other people anyway.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Cypocalypse View Post
    Personally, my mother and a few members of my extended family do well enough in this area for me.

Why when I can spend the time recharging from all the interactions I have to deal with at work; ones I don't want, but am required to deal with? I get all the light I can handle 8.5 hours a day, 5 days a week and that excludes church.

When I manage to pick up things I'm actually interested in I tend to find good friends there as well. What need have I to extend past that?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The only time I'm ever tormented by my quietness is when I wished I had said something, but I didn't. Thankfully, these moments are becoming few and far between.

Other than that, I'm okay with being the "quiet one". I'm not going to try too hard to be something I'm not.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    The only time I'm ever tormented by my quietness is when I wished I had said something, but I didn't. Thankfully, these moments are becoming few and far between.

Other than that, I'm okay with being the "quiet one". I'm not going to try too hard to be something I'm not.
    OrangeAppled: I agree with what you'd said above and relate to it. I enjoy people and can be fairly extroverted for a time. Then, after a certain amount of conversation, no matter how interesting, I shut down. As my friend's say, they can see me leaving though I'm still physically present. I don't mind this at all--it's who I am, and I couldn't nor would I want to try and force myself to stay engaged when I have to go away and recharge. Sometimes I'll just stop participating and listen. But even then, I long to go away after a time.

The only time I regret being quiet is when I'd like to say something personal to someone that I'm attracted to. Instead of just saying it, as more extroverted people might do, I think about it instead of saying it. Then I regret that I didn't just say it because the other person has no way of knowing what I'm thinking or feeling. I usually rely on body language and nonverbal cues to convey my feelings. Recently, I've become better at this, and try not to feel the world is going to end if I let my (sometimes intense) feelings just have a voice. Does anyone else experience this?

PS--The "network expansion"--I think this has value as well, I agree, but I personally don't value it. I don't mind making small talk either but I prefer having a few good, deep friendships, ones in which I get to know someone beyond surface talk. I love talking with someone about how they feel, what moves them, their past, what they think or feel about certain things. It's that longing and desire to be authentic that I think many INFPs have.