123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Default How Rare are INFPs?

Every statistic of INFP frequency I find is different from the one before it.
    Some say 1-2% while others claim 4-5%.
    Personally, it's very hard to believe the 4-5% statistic. There's no way in hell there are .3% more INFPs than ESTPs :rolli:.

So, what does everyone else think about this?

Obviously, most of the online statistics are crap, and it's very difficult to determine type because MBTI isn't an exact science (or a science at all), but I'm curious to see how many real-life INFPs other people know. I've only known one other one.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

It depends where the data is taken from. US, world, elsewhere. I usually see either 1% or 4%. I think Keirsey was an INTP and pretty numerical, and he came up with 4%. Later numbers are where I keep seeing 1% of US population

A window to the soul

I don't know. Maybe rare.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    and it's very difficult to determine type because MBTI isn't an exact science (or a science at all)
    There's no way to identify someoone objectively as INFP or other. It's all done via questions that are either answered by or for you, and the questions themselves are only a "good guess" based on empirical data - not on a scientific, theoretical concept.
    Since you can't really prove whether someone is a certain type, there can't be any objective or quasi-official statistic either.
    Of course, I like to think I'm kinda rare and special (you may now join me in saying "We are all individuals!") - whether it's 4 or 1% doesn't affect me given the overwhelming majority of SJs and SPs

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    There's no way to identify someoone objectively as INFP or other. It's all done via questions that are either answered by or for you, and the questions themselves are only a "good guess" based on empirical data - not on a scientific, theoretical concept.
    Since you can't really prove whether someone is a certain type, there can't be any objective or quasi-official statistic either.
    Of course, I like to think I'm kinda rare and special (you may now join me in saying "We are all individuals!") - whether it's 4 or 1% doesn't affect me given the overwhelming majority of SJs and SPs
    Well said!!!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I find 4-5% suspicious also, but then I've known only one other INFP in person, and I've met a disproportionate amount of INTPs and ENFJs. It turns out I know more INFJs in person than INFPs also.

Not to degrade INFPs, but we're not particularly useful creatures, in a practical sense, so I cannot see why nature would produce so many of us . I also don't trust the stats because we all know how people test incorrectly, and I also wonder how random and controlled the sampling is....

It was a Keirsey study that put INFPs at 1%.

According to a 1964 American study conducted by David Keirsey and Marilyn Bates, the population is...

Extraversion 75%, Introversion 25%
    Sensing 75%, iNtuition 25%
    Thinking 50%, Feeling 50%
    Judging 50%, Perceiving 50%

Specific MB Population

SJ Guardians - 38%
    SP Artisans - 36%
    NF Idealists - 12%
    NT Rationals - 12%

ESTJ - 13%
    ESFJ - 13%
    ESTP - 13%
    ESFP - 13%
    ISTJ - 6%
    ISFJ - 6%
    ISTP - 5%
    ISFP - 5%
    ENTJ - 5%
    ENFJ - 5%
    ENTP - 5%
    ENFP - 5%
    INTJ - 1%
    INFJ - 1%
    INTP - 1%
    INFP - 1%
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

^Aww now I feel special
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I find 4-5% suspicious also, but then I've known only one other INFP in person, and I've met a disproportionate amount of INTPs and ENFJs. It turns out I know more INFJs in person than INFPs also.

Not to degrade INFPs, but we're not particularly useful creatures, in a practical sense, so I cannot see why nature would produce so many of us . I also don't trust the stats because we all know how people test incorrectly, and I also wonder how random and controlled the sampling is....

Yes, I should have remembered that. Other sources later put it at 4%

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Every statistic of INFP frequency I find is different from the one before it.
    Some say 1-2% while others claim 4-5%.
    Personally, it's very hard to believe the 4-5% statistic. There's no way in hell there are .3% more INFPs than ESTPs :rolli:.

So, what does everyone else think about this?

Obviously, most of the online statistics are crap, and it's very difficult to determine type because MBTI isn't an exact science (or a science at all), but I'm curious to see how many real-life INFPs other people know. I've only known one other one.
    I assume this is about RL.

Since the ESTJ is the most common type among men in America, it follows the Nemesis of ESTJ, the INFP, is the second rarest among girls, the INTP being the rarest. Among girls.
    Among boys, the INFP is the rarest.

The dichotomy cannot be one way at one end of the line and another way at another?
    Yes, I know Picasso did pictures that were illogical. So he became world famous and such.
    And they say moon is cheese. It is a free world all right. Accuracy is out of date.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

What a nilly willy thing to say! Pigeon hole yourself.