12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Default INFx lack of ambition?

I'm surrounded by a lot of SJs and SPs at work (and throughout daily life for that matter), and I'm often struck by how much more ambitious they are than me career-wise. I work hard, am good at my job, and take my work seriously, but I have zero interest in moving up the ladder because I don't want it to cut into my personal time, which I like to spend with family and friends as well as reading/other nerdish pursuits. Many of my girlfriends say they couldn't imagine being a stay-at-home mom, but to me that sounds pretty awesome. Sometimes I wonder if I ought to have more ambition, but moving up the ladder just kind of seems like a rat race to me. Any other NFs experience this? My suspicion is that ENFJs won't because most of the ones I know in real life have an insane resume and are involved in a million things. But who knows... Let me know if any of this resonates with you NFs... Or maybe I am just unusually lazy

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hmmm...I have ambition to live an "interesting" life, but that doesn't translate into the mainstream kind of corporate ladder ambition. I would rather have less money if it means I have more free time and a better quality life. I've quit jobs to move across the country more than once. I've jumped at chances to take even short trips to places in the US and Canada. I have ambition, but it's not linear, dedicated, or disciplined in the slightest. In fact, I'm getting toward the end of college, and while I've been an excellent student, I've totally waned into slack-ass mode now that I'll be a senior in January. I've just totally lost my drive for it, and while I'll probably stick with it and get my degree, if I'm not feeling it I will devote myself to other things.

My "ambitions" in life have actually seemed fairly ENFP instead of INFP, and I question it all of the time. But I am extremely lazy and considered a fucked-up failure probably the eyes of many J types. I've had a really interesting life, though...and with some necessary exceptions I do what I want with it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Ps sorry to post twice.... Damn iPhone and its tiny screen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by mwv6r View Post
    Ps sorry to post twice.... Damn iPhone and its tiny screen
    oh, I'll move my post then

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

moving my response from the other thread:

I thought lack of ambition was more of an NFP thing and/or SFP thing. I know I've seen plenty of MBTI book references to "lack of work ambition" amongst INFP's. I'd expect INFJ's to more likely have other major interests or goals in life, as you described, than to "have work ambition." Time to go see the INF thread on this topic...

MBTI
    INFJ

I was very ambitious during my twenties in that I worked hard at three jobs in order to get through grad school and found a job in a decent firm. I even got used to working 45 to 60 hour weeks (and a few 70 hour ones) but realised that I had to pace myself cause no one was going to fast track me.

Now, I've slowed down but that has brought about discovering that there was no real point. So I've lost a lot of ambition. I think I need a new goal and project.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I think INFJs are quite ambitious, but it isn't always defined by climbing the ladder of authority at work. They tend to enjoy exerting influence from behind the scenes. They also choose to sink their efforts into a variety of different pursuits. In my case, I am too diffused in focus to climb up the ladder. I know a lot about many different areas, but don't focus on most of them with laser-like intensity. I don't want to remain doing exactly the same line of work within my profession for my whole career. The SJs I know tend to do well in climbing the ladder at work because they want to please those in authority, they find their identity in a doing a job thoroughly and well, they are competitive, and they prefer to know where they stand in the hierarchy of those they work with. These qualities make for a more rapid assent and interest in management, than some NFs pursue.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i have a lot of ambition but again it's not in any way shape or form that is even halfway legible or intelligible to st or sf types.

i am extremely organized when it comes to learning. i like to do new things. i want to go to new places, see new people, absorb as much of the world as possible and then process it to my liking, until i can articulate big chunks of it in a way that is revealing and useful and appealing and meaningful to others.

plus, i like to master things. i don't ever just love the challenge for the sake of a challenge like many T types, but i do love perfection when it counts for something special to me, when it accompanies a message that i believe in and think is big/great enough to be worth the continued attention.

like a smoked and deep fried turkey on thanksgiving.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Hmmm...I have ambition to live an "interesting" life, but that doesn't translate into the mainstream kind of corporate ladder ambition. I would rather have less money if it means I have more free time and a better quality life. I've quit jobs to move across the country more than once. I've jumped at chances to take even short trips to places in the US and Canada. I have ambition, but it's not linear, dedicated, or disciplined in the slightest. In fact, I'm getting toward the end of college, and while I've been an excellent student, I've totally waned into slack-ass mode now that I'll be a senior in January. I've just totally lost my drive for it, and while I'll probably stick with it and get my degree, if I'm not feeling it I will devote myself to other things.
    This applies to me also.

My goals are part of some idealized picture I have for an exciting and fulfilled life. It's very broad and generalized, which allows me to keep my options open. I too have different priorities from many people, and am not very concerned about keeping up with the Joneses. In some ways, these pie in the sky ideals keep me grounded in what is really important.

Like many INFPs report, I don't seek opportunities so much as they happen to come to me, and I am relaxed enough to just go with it and see what happens. I would pick up and move to the other side of the world in a heartbeat if an opportunity came and hit me in the head, but I probably won't make some grand plan to do it myself. Questions like "where do you see yourself in 5 years?" make my head spin, because I can imagine endless situations that I'd be thrilled to be in.

So, no, I am not ambitious. I think it's a good thing though. There's something about ambition that is competitive and vain and that makes it ugly sometimes.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by mwv6r View Post
    I'm surrounded by a lot of SJs and SPs at work (and throughout daily life for that matter), and I'm often struck by how much more ambitious they are than me career-wise. I work hard, am good at my job, and take my work seriously, but I have zero interest in moving up the ladder because I don't want it to cut into my personal time, which I like to spend with family and friends as well as reading/other nerdish pursuits. Many of my girlfriends say they couldn't imagine being a stay-at-home mom, but to me that sounds pretty awesome. Sometimes I wonder if I ought to have more ambition, but moving up the ladder just kind of seems like a rat race to me. Any other NFs experience this? My suspicion is that ENFJs won't because most of the ones I know in real life have an insane resume and are involved in a million things. But who knows... Let me know if any of this resonates with you NFs... Or maybe I am just unusually lazy
    Ambition is doing something intense and rigorous with the intent to reach a certain level in your work that many others will be unable to match. Moving "up the ladder" often involves all kinds of politics that sometimes involve not that much work. I always felt that I didn't like getting involved with that stuff. I felt like I would be giving my soul away if I got involved with moving up a ladder.

I don't like stepping on others to get places. I also don't like being resented by others if I do succeed or looked down upon if I don't. I don't like the drama that such situations always seem to create. It's just too much for me to deal with, I get uncomfortable. I'm more comfortable in situations where I can kind of find my niche and better myself without worrying about others. That's just me though.

I am put in situations where I have to move up a ladder, and I just deal with it the best I can. That's all I can do. I try not to get too caught up in it. I've been both a leader and a follower, and I just try to do my best and avoid people who appear unhealthy to me.
    A hero is someone who does the right thing without expectation of reward, just because it's the right thing to do.