User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFJ

I agree with most of what's been said in this thread.

When I listen to others talk about how important it is to "make it to the top," and watch people brown nosing their way to the top, I get frustrated. It really saddens me and even angers me at times that people who put so much importance on this type of corporate success look down on others who don't have the same ambitions. It seems like all people care about is money and status. Don't get me wrong, money is great to have, but I only need so much. Status is something I don't give a crap about. I am amazed by the lengths people will go to attain these rather superficial things: cutting-throats, back-stabbing, etc. Ugh...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    I thought lack of ambition was more of an NFP thing and/or SFP thing. I know I've seen plenty of MBTI book references to "lack of work ambition" amongst INFP's. I'd expect INFJ's to more likely have other major interests or goals in life, as you described, than to "have work ambition." Time to go see the INF thread on this topic...
    I have to agree about the NFP part of it. INFPs in particular are laid-back when it comes to these kinds of things. When it comes to my annual performance evaluation at work and I come to the section where I have to describe my short, mid and long-term goals, I always have to grope for things to write.

Personally, I see professional success as a means as opposed to a goal. That is, if I become rich, then I'd be free to pursue what I really want to do. But being in the rat race is not my first choice of getting there.

I might not be ambitious in that sense, but my idealistic side dreams up a lot of big things I want to achieve if I can stop procrastinating enough to reach for it

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I have ambition, but it's not linear, dedicated, or disciplined in the slightest.
    Same here. There's an idealistic, world-changing goal at the end but the journey is not a straight line with set milestones in between. And I probably won't really mind if I don't reach the goal either because the journey itself is as fun. I'd rather enjoy my daily (mundane, boring?) life then to sacrifice it to become rich and famous.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

So, this is my last year of college, and of course everyone's talking about what grad schools they're applying to, at what places they're getting job interviews, etc.

My plan after graduation is to just move to some big city, get a whatever job, and live in a crappy apartment with my friends. I've told some people this, and some of them have made sarcastic remarks about how ambitious I am and what a good use of a degree and all that.

Yeah, whatever. My ambition is to have an adventure.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm ambitious in my creative work moreso than most people I've encountered. I am driven to grow and to get it right. I'm not sure exactly why. The problem of ambition for me is that mine doesn't align well with the external games and images that are required to gain the opportunities. I did start having a few good clothes when I almost accidentally discovered how easily that impresses people. Sometimes depression gets in the way of my drive, but I am driven towards something, but it is of a strongly internal/philosophical nature.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I've *never* considered myself to be ambitious in the sense most people use the word. Actually I'm not terribly goal-oriented in life, and have never had a life plan...never had 5 or 10 year projections; given my nature and how I approach life, that's an impossibility. That stuff is usually pretty fuzzy for me.

But I'm definitely all about seizing opportunities that come my way, and I become quite impatient/restless when I feel I've been sitting still for too long, and don't have anything to show for it. So in that sense I'm always anxious and driven to try new things, and to keep myself reasonably occupied and challenged so that boredom doesn't set in. I hate feeling as if I'm not accomplishing anything. I DO need things to look forward to and to set my sight on - some reason for my momentum - so floating along and taking things as they come is definitely not comfortable for me. I need to feel proactive about my life and what I'm doing with it, and I get quite ancy when I don't feel like I'm striving for anything.

Specifically as to the OP - no, I'm no ladder-climber either. I find most of that stuff kind of pointless, especially since the act of climbing doesn't improve my sense of self-worth and I haven't had a job yet whose subject matter I actually care enough about to WANT to stay within the department/organization. The only reason I would want to 'climb the ladder' would be IF I truly enjoyed what I was doing and found the subject matter intriguing, and the act of attaining more responsibility was something I desired because I wanted the challenge because I was becoming bored/unfulfilled with my current job.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ