User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Fed up with stereotypes

I'm sick and tired of people stereotyping introverts and extraverts. It may not happen a lot, but it does happen. Some introverts assume extraverts are the obnoxious, airheaded, popular people who look down on them, and some extraverts assume introverts are "lame" or "nerdy" (which I take as a compliment, by the way) or that all of them are shy or socially inept.
    It varys from person to person. You can be an obnoxious introvert airhead who looks down on extraverts. You can be a socially inept extravert. And the ones that do fit the stereotype are probably bad apples, and you can't just look at one apple and overlook the whole orchard because of it.

Yes, I'm venting. Feel free to jump in.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well, I'm very frustrated with all of this, as I believe in a more whole brain approach, whole living life kind of thing. I strongly disagree to using just "feeling" or "thinking" to maximize one's stereotype, or adapting to easy images portrayed in 30 minutes - a - show sitcoms.

The things that I hear in here, oh, you made an emotion, are you really a T? You acted un-leadership-like, are you really an ENTJ? You had fun, are you really a J? Like there were something wrong with a person if they're not a cartoon character?

That kind of stuff just makes me frawn in disgust.

But, like it or not, many people are approved for acting constant, even if their portrayal of themselves were unrealistic and just a role. Approved or not, I don't want that kind of approval.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

I always kind of envied extraverts, because of their social abilities, in fact I often try to emulate being extraverted in social situations.

So, what happened to bring out this vent? Did someone think you were "obnoxious"/"airheaded"; or did you see an introvert friend being picked on because they weren't adept in a social situation?

Yeah, it is pretty annoying to see people stereotyping. Especially like Santtu said, "You had fun, are you really a J?" etc.
    Obviously not all extraverts are popular, obnoxious, etc. Or all introverts "lame".

But it is so easy to fall into stereotypes when it comes to type.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I always kind of envied extraverts, because of their social abilities, in fact I often try to emulate being extraverted in social situations.

So, what happened to bring out this vent? Did someone think you were "obnoxious"/"airheaded"; or did you see an introvert friend being picked on because they weren't adept in a social situation?
    My introvert friend was picked on for being an introvert. Then she tries to be more social and declares herself an extravert and some airhead called her an airhead because of her trying to be an extravert.
    "In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present." -Francis Bacon

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." -George Chakiris

Charting a course
    MBTI
    INFP

the Dark Prophet of Kualu
    MBTI
    RAD

I thought labeling and generalization was part of the whole deal of MBTI. . .
    And MBTI isn't specific enough to compare to the world. It's like math, only just a complete different universe. I prefer math though.
    It doesn't apply unless you subject it to a matter of consistancy that is presumed rather than existant. (I'm not sure I even believe my own point)
    Open for interpretation.
    Jo
    Fell for the temptation: Nohari / Johari

MBTI
    INFP

Ah, I thought thatís what it sounded like from the tone of your post. Out of curiosity, why was she 'declaring' herself to be an extravert if she is indeed an introvert? Not that I am attempting to fan the flames of your vent.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ENFp

She's unhappy with being an introvert. She'll go back to being content with being an introvert soon.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Gtzk View Post
    I thought labeling and generalization was part of the whole deal of MBTI. . .
    And MBTI isn't specific enough to compare to the world. It's like math, only just a complete different universe. I prefer math though.
    It doesn't apply unless you subject it to a matter of consistancy that is presumed rather than existant. (I'm not sure I even believe my own point)
    I don't think he is worried about the generalizing of people in the sense of MBTI. Where I think he is angry is that people assume that because you are an introvert that you will automatically be socially inept and visa versa with extroversion.