123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Default NFs: Do you gesture a lot?

Specifically to INFPs: Do you gesture with your hands a lot when you speak?
    Other NFs can answer this also.

I talk with my hands a lot. I've noticed this trend in other people typed as INFP (mainly celebrities...I've met few IRL). It makes sense to me because the Fi Ne thought process can be visual at times, so you feel a need to mime out the thought along with the words.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP

hmm yes and no, it depends how engaged in the conversation i am.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Yep. The main reason I do know they move is because they go dead when I'm out of steam, but they kickstart themselves once I do start talking. Though I can't recall if they're sharp/large/slow/small/whatever in any balanced way. I'm probably as dramatic as possible without realizing it.

thinking of you

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Can't say I do.

MBTI
    fool

Someone said it relates to being a "visual learner", I don't know about that then. I do, a lot.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Yessss.
    I didn't realized I did until my friends started mimicking me.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

I do quite a bit, but I don't think it's an NF thing. The person who does this more than anyone else I've ever known seems much more likely ISTJ.

Phantonym

I gesticulate quite a lot when I'm excited about the topic or when I have to quickly come up with things on the spot and I feel pressured to talk, when all the attention is on me and I haven't got the time to think things through. I don't even notice it, or I notice it with a delay, after I start to analyze what I said and what I felt and how people might have perceived me during that. I guess I use it as some sort of a support mechanism to help me concentrate. And the faster I talk, the more I gesticulate.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

YES!!!!!!! And actually I know it is a natural (not a learned/acquired) habit because I still remember my 2nd and 3rd grade teachers saying, "Are you playing the piano or what?" And I said, "Huh? What do you mean?" Then, they made the same gestures I was while speaking, and I turned beet red and said, "Oh, I didn't realize I was doing that." After they did that, I was self-conscious and did not gesticulate for about five minutes, and then went back to the same old habit....

I'd take it one step further and say when I have a class I really love and am really enjoying - you know, the kind where you can feel the good energy just swirling around like crazy that you can just feed off of - I start talking a bit louder, a bit faster, and start moving around the room a lot and really gesticulating. Then, the class starts laughing, and I calm down a bit. But yeah....

LOL And when you realize that I teach in GERMANY, in WESTPHALIA, where people are generally really reserved - um, yeah, it can shock the hell outta people. I think they learn to tolerate/deal with/maybe even enjoy it because they know it is natural and just my wacky character.

But then you have people saying to you on Friday (like today) "Trinken Sie nicht zu viel, Frau B----." (Don't drink too much, Ms. B---) and I just think, "DAMN IT, I don't drink at all. I'm just wacky like that..." GRRR!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

brainheart

I do, but more than that I make strong facial expressions, I guess. But both of those only if I'm excited or feeling something strongly. Otherwise i am a blank slate or frowning, apparently, arms pulled in close.