User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

You should hear my internal monologue when driving:

"Omg, omg... Ah! Sharp right turn, quick! Not going to make it, not going to make it... going to die... AHHHHH! Alright, I'm here. Oh! I'm ten minutes early too. <3"

I'm a nervous driver. O_O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INtJ

OMG - do this too much, thought it was just because I was a total nut job....

I will have total arguments in my head and by the time the conversation actually comes up it is never nearly as "exciting" as played out in my head!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFj

I have been an utter bitch to my step son and step daughter-in-law today in my head. It will keep me from being one to their face if I have enough time to get it out of my system before I actually lay eyes on them. They deserve to get it from me, but I want to be more mature than to give it to them bombastically.
    "My Journey is my Destination."

"Today Counts Forever." R.C. Sproul

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm not crazy!

Yay!
    We do the dance upon the plains.
    Then I shake your shoulders,
    You push me down into the grains,
    Who rubs our noses in the night? We do! We do!

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

if you actually have individual characters, i think your overall ability to produce cognitively sound and extremely complex judgments would be quite enhanced. modularity or some such thing.

i can dialogue with someone in my head, but then like in real life it's usually just to impress them and get my homework hung on the fridge with gold stars and smiley faces and standing ovations not just in the seventh inning stretch.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Sometimes, I'll actually think I said stuff out loud, then wonder why they don't respond.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I definitely rehearse conversations with people in my head, imagining the different response scenarios. Sometimes I know that I never actually intend to have whatever conversation it is, but if I end up on a positive scenario, it makes me feel better. For example, if I'm angry with someone I can usually diffuse my temper by thinking about what I would say to him or her in no uncertain terms and what he'd say in return....while simultaneously talking myself out of the direct confrontation by realizing the other conversation scenarios. I'll typically still express my frustration with the person, just less directly. But having "had" the experience of saying what I really wanted to say, I'm less angry when it comes down to it.

I don't typically take it so far as to think that I've really had whatever dialogue I imagined in my head, but I can see how that could happen. As to the rehearsal inner dialogue, I'm with others who didn't think that was a type-specific thing.

MBTI
    INFJ

I am so glad I'm not the only one I rehearse conversations with people in my head. I also have the mental characters that I talk to. Now that I'm trying to think of them, though, for some reason they're hard to remember. There's one dominant voice I argue with though.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

i rarely have actual dialogue unless im really upset and doing the 'just dont say anything' thing,
    i do flip through scenarios, reactions from people; most of it happens more internally then in full awareness.
    more recently ive had a few really vivid daydreams where it felt like that person was actually there really startled me the first time it occurred.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Mmm hmm. And this is why we would do better with a question like this by asking (among other things) for non-Ni people to validate having the same experience(s) that is being presupposed by some to be "Ni" related.
    Interesting... Mind if I validate? I'm sure we would get different responses from different people on this. What's interesting is that we are going from Ni Dominant to Ni being the least of all the functions. At least in my case..

While I don't actually talk to people in my head, I do talk to myself. A lot. It's like a quorum of me's in my head.
    I can and do imagine all the possibilities a conversation can take, but visualizing the person saying them doesn't happen very much. Only when I'm VERY mad at something very specific having to do with confronting a person. Otherwise I don't see it. So, all in all I accomplish the same thing by counting all the possibilities without letting my almost nonexistent imagination get the best of me. It's what I get for being an ISTJ...

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    The peoples' responses I most relate to, I think, is prplchxxx (whatever your user name is.. ;-).

I guess I don't really think about 'how' I think, even though I do spend most of my time in my head, thinking about stuff. :-) But it's always my own voice, as I'm thinking over things, or mulling over problems- no third parties, or 'outside' voices, or alter-personas..I can't really relate to that piece. It's always just me and my thoughts.

Same for me.

I do often do what prplcxxx does, though, where I'll play out different scenarios/conversations, and all of the possible responses/outcomes, and how I'll then in turn react to all of the possibilities..but I guess I assumed everyone did this. Often I'll get so wrapped up in doing this that it'll be like I'm there -- like I'm actually 'seeing' the things unfold in my mind, so I become unaware of my immediate surroundings. Well....like dreaming, or like when you're reading a book and you're just 'there', watching the story unfold as you're reading it.

I know the feeling. When I visualize conversations and possibilities it doesn't occur.

Well, anyway. So I either 'play out' conversations in my head, or it's just me talking to myself. But no other voices than me.
    So, there are my current thoughts on the matter. If I experience a different mental state I'll let you all know.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."