User Tag List

First 12345 Last

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Here's a thought... when we are nervous, all of us, regardless of type, tend to rehearse before the big day. I've been told guys practice what to say in front of a mirror all the time before a date... So that might not be a good way of looking at it.

What about when you're trying to address a question? How do you talk to yourself in that case? When your "inner voice" makes a suggestion to you, do you feel that it's you making the suggestion or somebody else?

lol... as in "Do I actually talk to people in my head, or do I merely critique their logic and grammar and have them yell at me?"
    Answer to both would be nice... :P My imaginary friend says if they yelled at you (or if you actually imagined that they yelled at you) then perhaps it's not an Ni thing afterall... I seriously think it depends on the interactions... whether you treat them as people or representation of people or just a part of your consciousness.

MBTI
    yupp

I feel like somebody else is making the suggestion, if I was making the suggestion I wouldn't need an internal dialogue. Well I mean it's the person I imagine I'm speaking to responding.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I feel like somebody else is making the suggestion, if I was making the suggestion I wouldn't need an internal dialogue.
    *scratches head* If you came up with the idea... how do you determine the merit of something without an internal dialogue? Please excuse these very basic no-brainer questions... I'm trying to see if there's a difference between Ni dominant vs Fi dominant thinking.

MBTI
    yupp

hmm I guess you can't. But alot of times when I follow something without an internal dialogue it' normally because I just thought of it 5 seconds before. Lot of times those end up being the "Oh god, what have done" experiences. I'm sure their's a ton of differences between Ni and Fi dominant thinking. I'm also not totally sure I am an INFP.

It's also possible we are misunderstanding one another, so for all I know we could be talking two totally different things.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I do it all the time. Sometimes to the point that I forget I haven't talked to the actual person and, especially in cases of emails, etc, forget that I still owe them a reply.
    /agree

Especially when it's an issue between yourself and someone else...and you've talked it all out in your head. Only to realise later, when you see that person again, that you haven't talked about the issue at hand yet. Oh that feeling of dread and annoyance at having to talk through it all all over again.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Last edited by Shinzon; 01-30-2008 at 11:33 AM.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    What about when you're trying to address a question? How do you talk to yourself in that case? When your "inner voice" makes a suggestion to you, do you feel that it's you making the suggestion or somebody else?
    Yes. Someone else that I recognise is a part of me, but is, at the same time, not me. It's as if a certain aspect of myself has split off and become another person. They're like the peanut gallery, and aren't anyone I really know in real life.

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

You knoe, this just makes me wonder if INFJ's are the best suited for getting the most out of therapy,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

The peoples' responses I most relate to, I think, is prplchxxx (whatever your user name is.. ;-).

I guess I don't really think about 'how' I think, even though I do spend most of my time in my head, thinking about stuff. :-) But it's always my own voice, as I'm thinking over things, or mulling over problems- no third parties, or 'outside' voices, or alter-personas..I can't really relate to that piece. It's always just me and my thoughts.

I do often do what prplcxxx does, though, where I'll play out different scenarios/conversations, and all of the possible responses/outcomes, and how I'll then in turn react to all of the possibilities..but I guess I assumed everyone did this. Often I'll get so wrapped up in doing this that it'll be like I'm there -- like I'm actually 'seeing' the things unfold in my mind, so I become unaware of my immediate surroundings. Well....like dreaming, or like when you're reading a book and you're just 'there', watching the story unfold as you're reading it.

Well, anyway. So I either 'play out' conversations in my head, or it's just me talking to myself. But no other voices than me.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I do it all the time. Sometimes to the point that I forget I haven't talked to the actual person and, especially in cases of emails, etc, forget that I still owe them a reply.
    Same here. I think this is where my "forgetting" to call people back stems from as well.

I work through all of my problems by talking them out to myself w/ "someone else". I always thought I was odd! I write letters too. There's a folder in my computer filled with unsent letters I have written to various people in my life.